Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Why on earth would you worry about the carry laws in such a situation? Do they search packs out on the trail or something?!?
    You don't stay on the trail the whole time unless you have a $$$ support crew. The trail goes through a few very strict states.

Pepper spray.

This event is not new, nearly every year there are local news stories of trail crazies harassing or attacking hikers.

I live very near the trail and HF is considered the half way point. Many thru hikers use the post office to ship supplies ahead.

Many years ago a man killed two women on the trail. He was tracked and finally cornered and captured on the railroad bridge at HF.

The AT community has a unique bond but that will not protect one at all times. Having situational awareness is crucial there as in daily life.

Sounds like she was both aware and lucky to have dodged a bad outcome.

You can blast the fuck out of someone with a taser.

15 ft range, laser targeting, flash light, 350 bucks on Amazon Prime
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Sorry man, glad your daughter is OK and hope the rest of her hike goes well. Truly fucked.
    27° 18°

There is a Utoob channel guy, Ramdino on the trails. He covers the bubble of thru hikers and AT happenings. He has a video on this sad event.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    These are the types of experiences that changes people attitudes towards firearms and self defense. Especially for females.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm very sorry to hear about this incident, particularly the close call with OP's daughter.

However, firearms are not the only solution to self defense and there are much more effective deterrents and means than a handgun.

What other method would have been more effective here? Hopes and prayers?
    Live Free or Die

Shotgun is a pretty good deterrent to a knife attack.

Ask any LEO.

Tasers do not always work on on drug fueled aggressors. Pepper spray, when delivered to the face, nearly always blinds or turns away a dosed attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear about this incident, particularly the close call with OP's daughter.

However, firearms are not the only solution to self defense and there are much more effective deterrents and means than a handgun.
    Dude is coming at me with a machete, I'm choosing a gun for a effective deterrent. You can keep your hopes and prayers.

Wow. I'm so, so glad she's ok!!! I'm no psychologist, but I would think that her choice to persevere and press on will actually prove long term helpful, to so she may close this chapter of her life on a much different, more positive note with many more memories of the AT than JUST having that one awful memory (kind of a % thing). If it were me and I bailed right then and there, seems that ending things there would make THAT the end of the AT chapter of my life and that would be no bueno.

Good on her for pressing on toward the goal! Sounds like she's a real trooper. Heart goes out to her. At some point, if she's still having a tough time processing it all, there's no shame in some therapy if need be. I'm sure you'll be there for her no matter what since you're a rock star dad.

we might need a second thread for the gunbois

There's a good amount of people who aren't affected by cs gas or oc spray. Everybody's allergic to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    we might need a second thread for the gunbois
    word.

Glad she is ok SIJ.

With the spray you are trying to deflect or stop the attack. If you incapacitate their ability to see or function this will give one the advantage to subdue or elude the attacker.

Part of the down side of a spray is in close proximity one can get a dose of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Dude is coming at me with a machete, I'm choosing a gun for a effective deterrent. You can keep your hopes and prayers.
    Okay Cool Hand Luke.

Bear spray hits at 25' and makes a 4' plus cloud. While you are trying to process what the fuck is happening while an attacker is running towards you, good luck with the accuracy with your sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Okay Cool Hand Luke.

Bear spray hits at 25' and makes a 4' plus cloud. While you are trying to process what the fuck is happening while an attacker is running towards you, good luck with the accuracy with your sidearm.
    You realize you haven't described anything that's hard to do, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    It's illegal to pack heat in Shenandoah N.P., a few hundred miles north of the incident on the AT.
    First of all, nobody says "pack heat" anymore except maybe huggybear from Starsky and Hutch reruns. Second, they have their rules, I have mine.

Glad to hear your daughter missed this awful event.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Second, they have their rules, I have mine.
    Name:  tough-6fd6b82efa.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  37.6 KB

Failing to see what's tough here, but on the plus side, you're on a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    With the spray you are trying to deflect or stop the attack. If you incapacitate their ability to see or function this will give one the advantage to subdue or elude the attacker.

Part of the down side of a spray is in close proximity one can get a dose of it as well.
    Thank you for being a constructive voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    It's illegal to pack heat in Shenandoah N.P., a few hundred miles north of the incident on the AT.

Wrong again my little maggot wife stalking friend.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/manag...arm_policy.htm

I would just do what Spook would do, curl up in the fetal position and cry for my wife to come save me.

and get it right, cool hand luke was a petty thief not a gun toting shootem up shooter. now go take a lap.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

I think if you got attacked in your tent while alseep your gun really wouldnt be too effective. But maybe you sleep with the barrel in your mouth.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Castles made of sand float into the sea eventually.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

The DA's probably going to subpoena your daughter and everyone else who they know encountered this flake for the murder trial next year. Hope she is able to enjoy the rest of the journey in spite of that maniac. She's probably going to have a front row seat to see him convicted of murder.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!