Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Ha- just luck of the draw. We had several older former troop members that were military, FBI, one guy even flew for the Thunderbirds. Mike, the FBI agent, was one of the adult supervisors with us. My dumb ass led the crew. Only got us lost once. Trail had been washed out a month prior to our arrival, and I totally missed it on the initial briefing. Oh well, that's what you get letting a 16 year old be in charge. Nice to see a fellow Eagle on here. I know there are a couple.

Did you guys carry bear spray? I don't even remember it being mentioned, or even thought about. Maybe the bear are worse now? We just got rid of all smelly stuff like deodorant and toothpaste, and hung our food at night. The mule deer crashing through our campsites every other night were a bigger concern. I remember hiking 3 days without seeing another person. Pretty cool experience. Oh, and my intro to European "Scouts" was eye opening too. Troop from Sweden or maybe Germany really sticks out in my mind. Very blonde, very blue eyed, and very female in all the best ways.
    I spent lots of time doing fire and forestry around Philmont and Vermejo (north of there) and surrounding wildlands. We had zero bear issues.

Woke up once with mtn lion tracks everywhere, on the truck, next to my head (!)....that was chilling. We had a shitload of elk (or horses, I don't know) sprint through our camp in the middle of the night once. That was also scary.

No bear issues....our house in Valle Escondido on the other side of the Moreno valley from Philmont had constant issues with bears hanging around. It wasn't a big deal, because they're black bears, totally afraid of people and dogs.

There aren't supposed to be grizzly bears in that country, but on hwy 555 going up into Vermejo from Raton I saw what was either a grizzly bear or The Biggest Brownest black bear in the history of black bears. There's a lot of room back there, and it's healthy land, so if a few of those guys were having a go of it in there it wouldn't shock me.

A humble Scots offering for Engineer Sanchez

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I spent lots of time doing fire and forestry around Philmont and Vermejo (north of there) and surrounding wildlands. We had zero bear issues.

Woke up once with mtn lion tracks everywhere, on the truck, next to my head (!)....that was chilling. We had a shitload of elk (or horses, I don't know) sprint through our camp in the middle of the night once. That was also scary.

No bear issues....our house in Valle Escondido on the other side of the Moreno valley from Philmont had constant issues with bears hanging around. It wasn't a big deal, because they're black bears, totally afraid of people and dogs.

There aren't supposed to be grizzly bears in that country, but on hwy 555 going up into Vermejo from Raton I saw what was either a grizzly bear or The Biggest Brownest black bear in the history of black bears. There's a lot of room back there, and it's healthy land, so if a few of those guys were having a go of it in there it wouldn't shock me.
    Yeah, I have to wonder if Grizzlies have made their way in there. That would be much different than the occasional Black Bear we saw.

One of our stops was a burro racing camp. We got to gear them up and do some sort of race. I can't really remember what it was. I do remember the hike in was mostly high desert after coming off a big elevation, so we were hot and tired, but still felt incredibly energetic due to the air down low.

Part of the camp event was letting us put the burro up for the night. After we got them all set, we were able to chill for a while on the upper deck. At some point near dusk, the rangers told us it was time to go. Right about that time, something like 5 or 6 large black bear came out of the woods heading our way. Apparently they came down every night to fuck with the burro. We got the hell out of there quickly.

Mtn lion were also never mentioned, that I remember, but this was probably 1990. Not sure they were much of an issue at that time. Again, we had a guy carrying a .40 or a 9mm- not sure what the FBI used in 1990, so maybe it was just never mentioned to us kids.

The guy who got killed was a 3 tour Iraq vet. I missed that the first time around. The story just got even sadder, if that's possible. If anyone was deserving of peace . . .

We’re psyched to get our daughter home. She flew in yesterday.

Family friends knew she was only 17 when all this went down. It was touchy there for a while on the legal side of things as she wa as minor alone. I envisioned the nightmare of having to explain this to some doughnut eater in the South, but never had to.

Solo hike AT @ 17: Check. She looks great and is super happy.

The murderer was found to be incompetent to stand trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E0E9E70-F497-4AAA-9421-525D1045637E.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	293298
    Ski Shop

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Damn congrats

Badass.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Cool s-I-j.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

amazing

That is awesome! What an accomplishment @ 17.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well done

Impressive in more ways than one. Congrats!

Nice job Dad. And her too.

Wow. And with time to spare. Congrats all around.

Man, my oldest is 12 now. Not sure I could be as cool as you. Guess it depends on who she is at 17.
    Yours must be incredibly mature and a total badass. Congrats.

what an accomplishment, thanks for bumping this with the good news and congrats.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Whoa, that is badass. Well done kid.
    crab in my shoe mouth

That’s really cool, SIJ.
    She is ready to take on the world!
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Wow, what an awesome achievement.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Awesome and well done

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Glad she made it and is safe.
    watch out for snakes

congratulations to your daughter. I hiked the AT when I was 17. Sorry she had to experience those horrible events. But it is important to get out in the world and I am sure she will grow from this experience.
    off your knees Louie

Congratulations!
    I still call it The Jake.

Really cool

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums