Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Odds matter fellas. Not just the individual circumstance. The chance of something happening is pretty low.

Since 1974, 13 people have been murdered on the AT. (seems like about a third of them with guns, for what it's worth.) 2-3 million folks hike part of it every year. At an average of 2 mil per year (just to estimate), that's 90,000,000 people on the trail and 13 deaths. Approximately a 1 in 7 million chance you'll be killed on the trail if you hiked it in the last 45 years.

I hope nothing happens to anyone we know or anyone on this board or any of us. But these odds are small. According to this dude Ethan Siegel who ran the numbers and published an article in Forbes, if you are a surfer in Hawaii, you have a 1 in 200,000 chance of being bitten by a tiger shark in any given year. You have a 1 in 232,000 of being injured by a grizzly in Yellowstone per day if you are in the backcountry.

Normalizing for the number of days people spend on the AT, rather than just the number of unique visitors, if the average AT hiker spends 3 days on the trail (just a guess), then there is a 1 in 21,000,000 chance you'll get killed by murder per day on the AT, and a 1 in 232,000 chance of getting injured by a grizzly per day in the Yellowstone backcountry.

So I think I'll still pay more attention to traditional wildlife than to two legged wildlife.

If you’re going to be doing math word problems, you’re going to need to show your work.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Odds matter fellas. Not just the individual circumstance. The chance of something happening is pretty low.

Since 1974, 13 people have been murdered on the AT. (seems like about a third of them with guns, for what it's worth.) 2-3 million folks hike part of it every year. At an average of 2 mil per year (just to estimate), that's 90,000,000 people on the trail and 13 deaths. Approximately a 1 in 7 million chance you'll be killed on the trail if you hiked it in the last 45 years.

I hope nothing happens to anyone we know or anyone on this board or any of us. But these odds are small. According to this dude Ethan Siegel who ran the numbers and published an article in Forbes, if you are a surfer in Hawaii, you have a 1 in 200,000 chance of being bitten by a tiger shark in any given year. You have a 1 in 232,000 of being injured by a grizzly in Yellowstone per day if you are in the backcountry.

Normalizing for the number of days people spend on the AT, rather than just the number of unique visitors, if the average AT hiker spends 3 days on the trail (just a guess), then there is a 1 in 21,000,000 chance you'll get killed by murder per day on the AT, and a 1 in 232,000 chance of getting injured by a grizzly per day in the Yellowstone backcountry.

So I think I'll still pay more attention to traditional wildlife than to two legged wildlife.
    I'm planning a surf trip. Do they make a waterproof ar15?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

dang SIJ that is terrifying! Hope she is holding up ok
    what a crazy bummer of a situation
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you’re going to be doing math word problems, you’re going to need to show your work.
    Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  7.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    dang SIJ that is terrifying! Hope she is holding up ok
    what a crazy bummer of a situation
    Yeah, I should also say (math aside) that it's terrible that she had to have this experience. Really sorry for her and you. And for the victims.

Can you explain this math to all the people who read stories of crime on nextdoor and freak out?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Can you explain this math to all the people who read stories of crime on nextdoor and freak out?
    Sure:
    murdered

Appalachian Trail murder and attack, too close for comfort

I got dropped from the A group on last weeks gravel ride, first hard ride of the year and I got smoked on a long climb. Waited for the B group, who were being led by a fat chick on a commuter ebike, it was surreal watching her ride me off her wheel. Didn’t bother me at all, I had to laugh actually, looked like fun.

Wrong thread, how did that just happen? This isn’t the ebike thread?
    crab in my shoe mouth

A lot of heat has come down on the hikers who declined to press charges. The couple who helped my daughter that night we’re among those who declined to press charges.

My daughter said the general feeling was that you’d have to put your trip-of-a-lifetime on hold hanging around to testify against a homeless drifter. Just move on and forget it.

I guess it’s like in the Seattle thread, what good Is a ticket/slap on the wrist to homeless guy who craps on your front steps? I think people just wanted to move on.

Some AT.org people got him a bus ticket, but he never got on.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well that would suck, keep us posted please.
    Ok - whew, just saw the names released and can confirm it was not them. Still incredibly sad, and will probably fuck up the zen on the trail a good deal.

My friend, a past lady friend of mine, hit the 500 mile mark about a week ago, and not knowing their daily pace that should put them right around where this happened. Was genuinely worried there for a while. I wonder if they got tied up in this shit show.

First off, I'm glad your daughter is OK. I literally just got off a plane where I watched Wild for the second time and spent much of the time wondering if my daughter will ever be ballsy enough to do something like that solo. Weird.

T&Ps.

shouldn't that ^^ read " have ovaries large enough to do something like that solo "

maybe reality is they don't wana go anywhere their i-phone isnt gona work ?

in any case STATISTICALLY speaking is the Appalachian trail really any more or less dangerous than going to burger king or the library or anywhere else in America?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No, random shit happens.

It's not a tragedy, it's regular American life light.

It's probably the safest place you could be. But who cares?

Americans react irrationally. I'm sorry about the proximity to a whacko for the OP, but that could happen anywhere to anyone. This is a subtlety violent country. Get used to it.

Choose your weapon. For me, it has always been voice, intelligence, then force. Be that with a tool or not.

It's life. And it's way safer here, than most anywhere in the world.

SIJ this all hits too close to home. My wife told me about the incident right before I left for work the other night. So scary that you're daughter was involved. A promising young gal up here was randomly shot by a 9 mm gun minding her own business with friends driving down the god damn highway recently through a wooded area...same road I drive at the same time she was killed and I had noticed some stuff in that area recently that I contacted authorities about in hopes it helps them connect dots if there is any. I have friends that knew her and I know you. The sad part is all the violence, so much of it random, happening around us, and to people we know and love personally. And then everybody screaming more guns. Fuck I own guns and I backpack and I drive but I have zero desire to go through life carrying around a heavy piece of killing machine and really a crazy person can kill you anywhere anytime anyway. Super cool that your girl is doing the AT. Always a backburner dream of mine. Peace and thanks for sharing and I'll put in a good word for bear spray as my conceal and carry choice - mistakes are not fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Real gangsters ain't got time for laws son.

That is terrible to hear about the girl who was randomly shot while driving down the highway. And while the machete murder is equally awful, it's the random gun violence that is much, much more common. It won't stop though because guns help people feel tough (see above).

Appalachian Trail murder and attack, too close for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    SIJ this all hits too close to home. My wife told me about the incident right before I left for work the other night. So scary that you're daughter was involved. A promising young gal up here was randomly shot by a 9 mm gun minding her own business with friends driving down the god damn highway recently through a wooded area...same road I drive at the same time she was killed and I had noticed some stuff in that area recently that I contacted authorities about in hopes it helps them connect dots if there is any. I have friends that knew her and I know you. The sad part is all the violence, so much of it random, happening around us, and to people we know and love personally. And then everybody screaming more guns. Fuck I own guns and I backpack and I drive but I have zero desire to go through life carrying around a heavy piece of killing machine and really a crazy person can kill you anywhere anytime anyway.
    And then they would be a crazy person with a gun!

Good guy shoots himself again.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    No, random shit happens.

It's not a tragedy, it's regular American life light.

It's probably the safest place you could be. But who cares?

Americans react irrationally. I'm sorry about the proximity to a whacko for the OP, but that could happen anywhere to anyone. This is a subtlety violent country. Get used to it.

Choose your weapon. For me, it has always been voice, intelligence, then force. Be that with a tool or not.

It's life. And it's way safer here, than most anywhere in the world.
    subtlety violent? your weaponized intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    that's the point. it's better for general purposes, not just fantasy. because fact is you are far more likely to encounter a bear, other predator, or nasty dog on the trail than some human asshole with a machete.
    It's awesome when it flies back in your face.

This thread is about some asshole chopping people up with a machete by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    And while the machete murder is equally awful, it's the random gun violence that is much, much more common.
    That's some ground breaking shit right there bro... Mad respect. Namaste.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm planning a surf trip. Do they make a waterproof ar15?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    AK-47

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    AK-47
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by iFlip View Post
    The average thru-hiker has no hatchet, machete, ax, or bear spray. Many do not even carry a pocket knife.
    Who would be on the Appalachian trail(or any backpacking excursion) without a knife..?

SIJ glad your daughter is ok and good for her for keeping her wits about her and persevering.

This thread is not the place to debate guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Who would be on the Appalachian trail(or any backpacking excursion) without a knife..?
    Ultralight knives are not much of a weapon.

Name:  IMG_3467.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  24.2 KB

Sheesh, close call! This whole thing is so terrible. I hope your daughter can enjoy the rest of her trip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!