Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's play "Name that scam!"

A thread to have scams identified, discussed, laughed at, etc.

So, name that scam! Twice in the last few weeks, a guy has come to my door and asked if I wanted to sell my camper. Each time they were in a truck, with another person or two who stayed in the truck. For one of them, there was a nextdoor thread, they must have stopped at a dozen houses asking about campers. Feels super scammy, but what's the scam?

Do they try to swindle you on a camper transaction (i.e., they really sort of do want to buy/steal your camper)? Can that really happen often enough to be profitable? Or are they casing your house for a robbery? Seems like not much info would be gained from one visit to a door, compared to all the other methods of casing.

Or am I being paranoid, and there really are people driving around looking to buy campers?

What's your scam story?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno, I've know you for years.

Buy a fucking 12 gauge.

Please. You have a daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Danno, I've know you for years.

Buy a fucking 12 gauge.

Please. You have a daughter.
    Take your daughter to the range too. She'll love it.

Get a neck or forearm tattoo for good measure.

I think they need the campers for their magazine sales

I like how this thread is progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think they need the campers for their magazine sales
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I believe they are checking to see if anyone is home. Asking about the camper is their excuse for knocking when you answer.

https://m.reolink.com/how-to-know-if...ed-by-burglars
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

The old wash and dash scam...

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

What is "Gypsy types distracting you while one takes a look at the camper with you outside, and one of the ones in the truck sneak into you home and steals things from your house" could be one of the spins on this OP.

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Well, the arbitrage CL explanation kinda works. Nobody asks reasonable prices for their shit on CL anymore, so you drive around and look for 'for sale by owner' and other stuff people might want to let go of and try for it. Now, I can see that being profitable. Profitable enough for a crew to not split up? Hmmmm..... Maybe they only got one truck between them? Dude in the truck is hitting refresh on CL and making phone calls?

See something. Say something. Call BPD dude, these guys are probably going around; who cares if what they're doing is legal or not, cops can still ask questions if they see them, right? Maybe you'd be like the 3rd report and that'd tip the scales over and they'd actually be on the lookout for these guys.

And again, we've got a dirty Gypsy possibility. Moving on from ripping off kids by selling them crappy bikes to burglary and robbery i see.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

windows virus install scam
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    windows virus install scam
    So the thing about that one is that it's not a mystery what their angle is. Everyone knows that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Well, the arbitrage CL explanation kinda works. Nobody asks reasonable prices for their shit on CL anymore, so you drive around and look for 'for sale by owner' and other stuff people might want to let go of and try for it. Now, I can see that being profitable. Profitable enough for a crew to not split up? Hmmmm..... Maybe they only got one truck between them? Dude in the truck is hitting refresh on CL and making phone calls?

See something. Say something. Call BPD dude, these guys are probably going around; who cares if what they're doing is legal or not, cops can still ask questions if they see them, right? Maybe you'd be like the 3rd report and that'd tip the scales over and they'd actually be on the lookout for these guys.

And again, we've got a dirty Gypsy possibility. Moving on from ripping off kids by selling them crappy bikes to burglary and robbery i see.
    That and buy a shotgun. You'll want to always have it out whenever potential suitors come calling on your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I believe they are checking to see if anyone is home. Asking about the camper is their excuse for knocking when you answer.

https://m.reolink.com/how-to-know-if...ed-by-burglars
    THIS! A group of several folks rolling around in a truck looking for a quick hit and run burglary..

And for those suggesting OP get a gun... Keeping a gun around might help to defend against a home invasion... However, brandishing one when you answer the door to people who are casing your house actually makes your home a MORE DESIRABLE TARGET FOR THEM. If they know there are probably guns in there they are way more likely to come back to that house than any others where they aren't sure there is something all that valuable or easily convertible for cash inside. Heard this from cop friends. If you have guns, make sure not to make it common knowledge.. because if crooks know there are likely to be guns inside that attracts them, instead of the opposite.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Related scam. Drive around neighborhood and look for people doing yard/tree work. Park in driveway across street like you live in house. Bullshit with dudes doing work for a little bit so they think you might hire them. Then steal the shit in their truck.

I worked with someone who had her home broken into despite having a GSD. Kids had cased the house and one day when she was outside working in the yard with dog by her side. They struck up a convo and asked if the could pet the dog and she obliged. When they broke in the dog didn't react because his master had already introduced them.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

They have some particular requirements, the camper's for their ma...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I worked with someone who had her home broken into despite having a GSD. Kids had cased the house and one day when she was outside working in the yard with dog by her side. They struck up a convo and asked if the could pet the dog and she obliged. When they broke in the dog didn't react because his master had already introduced them.
    D'ya like dags?

Brad wuz robbed - shoulda got an Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Brad wuz robbed - shoulda got an Oscar.
    He was great in that movie.

I don't think this is a scam, I think I am going to be rich in short order. Glad I check through my junk folder, could have missed this:

Hi,
    I think I contacted you 3 years ago but didn’t follow up or direct you further on how to go about this. I got seriously sick and was under intensive care for all these years till now that I feel better.
    My Name is Gary Wegner; I was dismissed from Umpqua Bank in 2012 because my wife and lawyer blackmailed me for doing extra deals within the bank. My sack earned me a two years jail terms and on return, my account which has $78,000,000.00 in it went dormant. When the account got dormant for a very long time, Federal Reserve Bank Escrowed the fund on the regular escrow agreement of 21% net interest annually, now I have about $180,000,000 that needs to be activated in Umpqua Bank.
    All I am requesting from you is that you help me activate this account if I can persuade the bank through a written instruction to modify the account mandate and include you as the owner of the account even though they may not tamper with the original data of the account but should completely exclude me as applied to the case of the dead where another person is given a legal power to own and operate an account even when the account is not in his or her name?
    I will give you all the details required to make this arrangement successful. You can also keep 20% of the fund when the deal is complete and pass the 80% to me.
    Please help me out if you don’t mind.
    Gary Wegner.