Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The smartphone is winning

Canon and Nikon Imaging Sales Drop 17%+ Over Past Year

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/10/can...over-past-year

And Samsung just developed a 64mpx sensor for phones.

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/09/sam...rtphone-sensor

Olympus Imaging Q1 YoY down 8% too.... mirrorless revenue down 11%

The son of a co-worker is actually a world renowned Photo-Journalist... Having covered the Libyan Revolution (damn near died.. the journalist standing next to him did when an RPG was fired at them).. numerous projects for Nat Geo.. Time.. opening ceremony China Olympics for SI etc... He has done many shoots with just his iPhone..

http://time.com/3790801/an-iphone-in...stopher-brown/

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/phot...the-libyan-war

https://michaelchristopherbrown.com/galleries/road/
    Last edited by BaNosser; 05-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Will be cool to see further advances in lens attachments like those endoscopic things or bluetooth connected lenses you can attach to your helmet, chest, ski pole all controlled via the smartphone. GoPro has also jumped the shark when that technology ramps up a little more.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The best camera you will ever buy is the one that you keep w you the most. The more pics you take, the better results you will have.

Isn't this in part why kodak in Rochester went to shit? (Although I think they were mostly film and went under when digital cameras started gaining traction).

Smartphones are nifty. Too many people with dslrs these days anyways (actually, I think this was really in 8 years ago with tumblr) where everyone takes the same style of photo for instagram. All the same looking shit, just a fancier camera. I actually think the smartphone has way more potential being so wide reaching. Cool to think that someone in a 3rd world country is on the same playing field as anyone of us with the same means of taking a photo (i.e. smartphone, if they have access).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1616890959/

It puts me to sleep most nights.

I switched to film and home development and couldn't be happier. Well, I could, but a mirrorless wouldn't make it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The best camera you will ever buy is the one that you keep w you the most. The more pics you take, the better results you will have.
    - Chase Jarvis

I think the biggest issue right now for Nikon and Canon is marketing and branding themselves as two entities: who they were (traditional DSLR systems) and who they want to be (advanced mirrorless systems in different applications). It's a balancing act to try to promote both directions without cannibalizing the other, and until they figure it out or the market forces a certain balance, Canon and Nikon will be wavering. Sony emerged directly into the market with new technology and continues to evolve with it. Olympus, Fuji and Panasonic have stayed in their own niches and seem to be doing a better job being pulled in two directions.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I switched to film and home development and couldn't be happier.
    Are you doing the whole process at home including prints?

My thoughts on the subject are, the DSLR's are so good do we need a new camera every 4-5 years?

I have the Nikon D7100, I waited 4 months for it to come out then 8-9 months for the first sale on it. I could take almost the exact same images with the D7500.

Shooting vids with 4k would be cool tho

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    Are you doing the whole process at home including prints?
    No. I don't have room for all those prints. I develop the negs traditionally with chemicals, then scan the negs. Way less room, and 80% of my shots suck balls.

I always thought the 'best camera you have is the one with you' is bullshit. Phone cameras are good for selfies. The wide angle is made for when you want to do the 'IDK, feeling cute, might delete' selfie, which means only an arm's length away. Countless times I've been in amazing mountains, took a pic, and looking at it, it's a boner-killer. Everything looks so small and far away. The best camera then would have a 35 or 50mm prime, or most likely a 70-200mm, not some dumb phone.

Phone cams can be great for a lot of things, and you can process amazing images with it. I recently figured you can take RAW photos with the Lightroom phone app, which is so cool. They are amazingly advanced, I'm often blown away by many images I take with mine, but phones are not that great for a lot of pics I want to take, and I don't buy into the 'creativity comes with limitations' bullshit either. Mountains shouldn't look like molehills. And it's really hard to frame out the bullshit with those things.

I think most 35 mm pros from back in the day would just say get closer. But I know what you mean and love a big lens. I interpret it more as just take as many pics as possible. It's like comedy, it's about the percentages.
    Last edited by mcski; 05-13-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think most 35 mm pros from back in the day would just say get closer. But I know what you mean and live a big lens. I interpret in more as just take as many pics as possible. It's like comed, it's about percentages.
    Like get a half a mile closer to the mountain??

The number of good pics you take are almost the same no matter what. If you have a roll of film, maybe 4 out of 24 will be great. If you take 100 photos on your iphone, probably only 4 will be great too. Each pic on a phone should be thought out more, but we get lazy and end up with endless crappy photos.

Is it that digital, no matter how close, is still digital? Film to digital, vinyl to digital, MJ to k2 spice etc.?

My kids never experienced the anticipation of having to wait a week or even an hour to see how the photos they took turned out.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Like get a half a mile closer to the mountain??

The number of good pics you take are almost the same no matter what. If you have a roll of film, maybe 4 out of 24 will be great. If you take 100 photos on your iphone, probably only 4 will be great too. Each pic on a phone should be thought out more, but we get lazy and end up with endless crappy photos.
    If you don't care about photography, ya you will just end up w more crappy photos. But more shooting is always better if you want great photos.

of course the smartphone is winning the workflow is fucking simple. take, edit, share & store with the same compact & ultra portable device. many of the viewers of the photo will be looking at it from a similar device.

marketing & branding won't change that shooting with separate cameras is a pita. much like film was mostly dead once digital came along. it's determinist - and the end result is only 2 corps are making real money selling smartphones - Apple & Samsung. Now the battle is over who ends up at the leica end of market for camera jewelry and who'll be the surviving "real" camera brand after them.

Maybe I'm completely off base here, but I foresee some point in the future where increased tech in phone cameras will reverse the current negative trend in sales for the big boys. Think about it, one of the cool new features is shooting RAW. What's next? Full manual mode? When the common pleb is able to tool around with shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, etc. on their phone, that's a huge learning curve they have overcome before spending money on an expensive setup. The more in tune people get with photography, the faster they'll see the short comings of their fancy phone camera (which like muted said, at the end of the day, actually sucks). People don't want a shitty camera god dammit, they want the best, that's why they just spent $1000 on the iPhone XS fer christ sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Maybe I'm completely off base here, but I foresee some point in the future where increased tech in phone cameras will reverse the current negative trend in sales for the big boys. Think about it, one of the cool new features is shooting RAW. What's next? Full manual mode? When the common pleb is able to tool around with shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, etc. on their phone, that's a huge learning curve they have overcome before spending money on an expensive setup. The more in tune people get with photography, the faster they'll see the short comings of their fancy phone camera (which like muted said, at the end of the day, actually sucks). People don't want a shitty camera god dammit, they want the best, that's why they just spent $1000 on the iPhone XS fer christ sakes.
    Everything you have mentioned has existed for years and is in common use.

What is your point?

And dunfree is missing a huge player in the cell and photocell market.

Why are you guys so blind?

And dunfree is missing a huge player in the cell and photocell market.
    I was talking profit, not volume https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#4f22fc2c61bb

"good camera" sales have gone in waves.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I was talking profit, not volume https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#4f22fc2c61bb

"good camera" sales have gone in waves.
    But he said photocell market, so I assume mtm is being pedantic and means Sony or Omnivision or Aptina? I don't really follow their sales though

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    But he said photocell market, so I assume mtm is being pedantic and means Sony or Omnivision or Aptina? I don't really follow their sales though
    Although after today, things may change:

Trump just put the end to that.

Although after today, things may change:

That's Sony

Phones take such good shots these days. I’ve taken shots after dark (candlelit) or in bright daylight (sky blue not blown out) that have way better color range from the phone than I get from my dslr (which is not a high end one, but going manual isn’t helping me get better shots)

Sure, there are specific types of shots they don’t do well yet, but my guess is the mfr’s will make those cases easier before the public decides it will use full manual on the reg