4 26.67%
  • Line -2cm

0 0%
  • > 2cm behind the line

1 6.67%
  • Forward of the line

2 13.33%

POLL: Protest mount point

So that Protest thread had a bunch of differing opinions on where to ideally mount Protests. Not wanting to go through the whole thing and tabulate, here's a poll, to get a consensus.

Please cite reasons for your preference (e.g. better in the deep stuff, if compromising the run back to the lift, etc.).

I think I am in the minority but prefer them on the line. I have two pairs - 187 and 192. I tried -1 cm on the 187's and it wasn't for me. These skis come out for a yearly trip up to cat ski outside Nelson BC in tight trees so I find myself preferring a centered stance and appreciating the way I can flick them sideways without any problem and shut it down. If I was skiing open terrain maybe I would want to be back -1cm, such as skiing the top of Mammoth. Take my opinion for what it is worth. Other skis and mounts I like 188 Quixotes on the line, 191 Jeffrey/Kartels on the line, Line Supernatural 186 on the line.

No chance of tipdive. Still pivot at will. Good compromise position between bent knee center stance and straight up forward tip pressure. Ez to switch from one to the other stance. I've shortened my poles 5cm but still not super short

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

-1cm for me on 187s. I ski pretty forward and tend to like all Praxis skis mounted back a little. -1cm allows me to ski with more tip pressure but stay in the sweet spot for being able to easily slarve the ski sideways in tight spaces.

on the line for me. pivot on a dime and no tip dive experience others reference. 192, 225lb rider, coastal snow.

I wonder if a smaller bsl might be having some of us back at -1 or 2. I seem to vaguely recall Hoji mentioning in his podcast that smaller bsl people might mount back a bit(dont quote me on that). That struck me after seeing/remembering nickel's ^^ height/weight

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I wonder if a smaller bsl might be having some of us back at -1 or 2. I seem to vaguely recall Hoji mentioning in his podcast that smaller bsl people might mount back a bit(dont quote me on that). That struck me after seeing/remembering nickel's ^^ height/weight

Could be. I am similar to Nickel. 6’6 &210 dressed. 326 bsl fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    Could be. I am similar to Nickel. 6’6 &210 dressed. 326 bsl fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We're definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum (5"7', 170, 295mm)

just to add to the data I'm running with a 310bsl. regarding mount point vs tip dive, for my build i would think that being a heavy fuck would more than make up for an extra 15mm of bsl but what do i know.

I'm thinking it's mainly the height. A slight bend at the knee on a tall person shifts weight farther back over a longer frame than a slight bend at my knees. Just a guess though

Interesting thoughts on height and bsl. I'm 5'10", 195#, bsl: 318, bought 192 protests. Lots of opinions over 1cm. But that's why the poll - from the other protest thread, it sounds like this ski is pretty sensitive to mount point.

Thanks for replies so far, was hoping for more. I'll probably have to bump it in the fall.

5’10 170lbs - 192 flex 4 on the line. Wasn’t thrilled day one but it was me, not the ski or mount.....I’m in love with this ski now....no tip dive at all bc these things haul ass. 301 and 306 BSL in a warden for the mount. I love

The Mrs has 177 (minus 10) and hated them on the line, she couldn’t deal with all the tail, we went back a full 2cm and became “better” she says.....we’ll see what next season brings for her with this ski.
    Last edited by jmars; 05-16-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Bc I’m an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    5’10 170lbs - 192 flex 4 on the line. Wasn’t thrilled day one but it was me, not the ski or mount.....I’m in love with this ski now....no tip dive at all bc these things haul ass. 301 and 306 BSL in a warden for the mount. I love

The Mrs has 177 (minus 10) and hated them on the line, she couldn’t deal with all the tail, we went back a full 2” and became “better” she says.....we’ll see what next season brings for her with this ski.
    Like the current Bibby (probably my favorite ski of all time), the Protest seems to be highly polarizing (re: love it/hate it). Hopefully I'll like the protest as much as the bibby

188’s at 102.5 from the tip and 192 enduro veneer flex 4 @-2 from the dot.
    5’10” 210ish with gear. Love them there and wouldn’t change a thing. Both boots I ski are 130 flex and at 13deg forward lean. 306 bsl, the most Nobel of bsl’s.

Can’t recall off the top of my head...but I believe the “dot” changed over the early years so the reference point here may be different.

That being said, I’m on a prototype 187, from what I believe is 12/13, but Keith told me it’s what became the production model (this graphic: https://blisterreview.com/wp-content...oo_art_web.jpg)
    I tinkered a lot with demo bindings to settle on -0.75 cm from the dot. Which is ~ -10cm from true center on my pair. 306 BSL

This eliminated any sense of tip dive, and allows me to drive the skis a bit more, with no loss in agility.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Can’t recall off the top of my head...but I believe the “dot” changed over the early years so the reference point here may be different.

That being said, I’m on a prototype 187, from what I believe is 12/13, but Keith told me it’s what became the production model (this graphic: https://blisterreview.com/wp-content...oo_art_web.jpg)
    I tinkered a lot with demo bindings to settle on -0.75 cm from the dot. Which is ~ -10cm from true center on my pair. 306 BSL

This eliminated any sense of tip dive, and allows me to drive the skis a bit more, with no loss in agility.
    Praxis site says -8 for 192's, so I guess they moved the dot back. So I guess another vote for -2 (effectively)

Another data point I found. I had 177's that had the same topsheet(yellow sidewalls) as "TripleT" and also had some newer 187's and found the same -1.5 worked for me on both. Thought I could go on the dimple with the 187 because of the longer tip. A few days of fighting tip dive before I remounted at -1.5.

Also, hey jmars, cant fully commit but I might be able to be an escape route if those -10 177's dont work out for the mrs. I'm betting a few days at -2 will bring out the grins though

POLL: Protest mount point

I’ve owned two pairs of 192s. First pair Enduro, Carbon, 3.5 flex. Mounted on the line. Liked them but felt some dive.

Second pair 188s. Had demo bindings on them. Preferred -1.5 to -2.

Sold the 188s, now on 192s, Enduro, Veneer, 3 flex. Mounted -1.5. Definitely prefer further back.

I’m 5’9 190lbs. Ski centered to moderately forward

If you’re looking for a ski to drive the tips the protest is not the ski for you. I can pressure the tips on my Lhasa Fats considerably more (as much as I want) than the Protest. Protest is designed to ski with a balanced, center stance because all the surface area and float is underfoot, not at the tip. Basic physics, pressure the low surface area tip enough and it will dive. Had a horrible time one day this year on the 188s in low angle, super wet pow (2 feet). Others may disagree but I think the protests really excel in light blower pow, and more pin tailed/fat tipped skis like the Lhasa do better in heavy wet cement (12+ inches)

I clicked much more with my Protests when I started to ski “in the snow”, loading my weight underfoot in the middle of turns and kind of using the ski to spring out into the next turn, rather than skimming on top of it. Still lots of float, but to me the style is more similar to skiing a skinny ski in light snow than a mega fat tipped ski pontooning on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I’ve owned two pairs of 192s. First pair Enduro, Carbon, 3.5 flex. Mounted on the line. Liked them but felt some dive.

Second pair 188s. Had demo bindings on them. Preferred -1.5 to -2.

Sold the 188s, now on 192s, Enduro, Veneer, 3 flex. Mounted -1.5. Definitely prefer further back.

I’m 5’9 190lbs. Ski centered to moderately forward

If you’re looking for a ski to drive the tips the protest is not the ski for you. I can pressure the tips on my Lhasa Fats considerably more (as much as I want) than the Protest. Protest is designed to ski with a balanced, center stance because all the surface area and float is underfoot, not at the tip. Basic physics, pressure the low surface area tip enough and it will dive. Had a horrible time one day this year on the 188s in low angle, super wet pow (2 feet). Others may disagree but I think the protests really excel in light blower pow, and more pin tailed/fat tipped skis like the Lhasa do better in heavy wet cement (12+ inches)

I clicked much more with my Protests when I started to ski “in the snow”, loading my weight underfoot in the middle of turns and kind of using the ski to spring out into the next turn, rather than skimming on top of it. Still lots of float, but to me the style is more similar to skiing a skinny ski in light snow than a mega fat tipped ski pontooning on top.
    I agree with most of this. I’m at -1.4 on 192. They rip and float fine. Super quick. Never really submarine and excel in lighter pow for sure. I pressure tip and it comes around and does not dive. Really fun on groomers and run outs. Super quick in trees. Had 187 at -1 if I remember right. 192 is better in all ways. MAP 3 enduro
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I ski the 196 enduro , 3 flex Mermaids on the line and love them there. Mostly coastal snow , but lots of blower too. No dive due to the softer flex I believe and I drive my tips . Love them almost as much as my Bibby's. They come out when it's 18+". 6'3" 225lb. 336bsl. Older , but still love to haul ass!!

192 with #4 Flex and UL core. I weigh 225 lbs and am 6'1".

I ski reverse camber skis like the 4FRNT Devastator and Raven as well as traditional camber skis like the MSP 99.

I do know what tip dive is on powder skis as my Line Mordecai's are very progressively mounted, and they dive in low angle pow.

The Protest is my favorite all time ski for any kind of deep and fresh snow. Sierra cement to champagne pow doesn't stand a chance. I don't feel any tip dive even on low angle terrain. They just crush everything. I measure pow skis like sports cars are measured in 0-60 but with the criteria of zero to planing above the snow. The Protest's zero to planing time is exceptional and better than any ski I've been on even with the recommended mount point.

Curious how the collective might apply this to the Wootest...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Curious how the collective might apply this to the Wootest...
    I'm guessing I'd go similar with both protest and wootest because of the close design(never had a wootest but I will one day). All of my praxis I've gone to -1(gpo,concept,piste jib) except the protests(-1.5 in both 177 and 187)and the traditional touring models on the dimple or -.5(exp,yeti,bc)