Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Chernobyl

Caught the first episode of this five part HBO mini series. I'm hooked. There's a podcast accompanying it that I haven't listened to yet.

Great art direction and sets. Really pulls off that late stage Soviet dingy look.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Caught the first episode of this five part HBO mini series. I'm hooked. There's a podcast accompanying it that I haven't listened to yet.

Great art direction and sets. Really pulls off that late stage Soviet dingy look.
    Link to podcast?

I’m pissed I can’t binge all the episodes of the show, right now.
    Really good first episode. Jared Harris is a great fucking actor.
    crab in my shoe mouth

The podcast is very much worth a listen after watching.

Fun factoid: it was believed by many that vodka was a cleansing agent after radiation exposure.

The creator, Craig Mazin, liked this book a lot, so I put it on my Kindle.

Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312425848..._JWi1CbF9C084W

I'm going to know a shitload about Chernobyl by summer.

I'm going to know a shitload about Chernobyl by summer.
    Like a local?

Forgot this show had started. Looking forward to watching. Will check the podcast too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I enjoyed the show, will continue to watch...

Wikipedia says 28 people died. Way smaller death tole than I thought. I think we saw half that in episode one. Wikipedia says experts are expecting 4000 cancer deaths in the future... crazy how long the fuse is on the exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I enjoyed the show, will continue to watch...

Wikipedia says 28 people died. Way smaller death tole than I thought. I think we saw half that in episode one. Wikipedia says experts are expecting 4000 cancer deaths in the future... crazy how long the fuse is on the exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The history is so fucked up and obscured, it seems that the 28 number is similar to Trump's number for Puerto Rican hurricaine deaths.

Worth checking out is one of Martin Cruz Smith's novels, Wolves Eat Dogs. It's set in Chernobyl after the event, among the people who have stayed. There's a murder mystery to add interest, but like most of his works, it's about events and their aftermath. A more recent book deals with exhuming mass graves from the Stalin era.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I’m pissed I can’t binge all the episodes of the show, right now.
    Really good first episode. Jared Harris is a great fucking actor.
    X2. Watched first episode and then next night went to watch more...fuck. Have become used to binge watching, and it helps me remember details which can be an issue at times.

Thank you

Great series.

watched the first episode last night, off to a great start.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

So far so good.. also disappointed that I couldnt watch the whole series. Come on HBO!

I like waiting. Gives me something to look forward to on random nights I have nothing going on. I wouldve been done with the series on tuesday if not. Builds suspense.

Oh, man, last night. I wonder how accurate that was - the three workers who volunteered to go wading. I have to wonder if this had happened in the US or Western Europe if anyone would have volunteered. I suspect not.

Last night was great, some really good acting in this show. Jared Harris is amazing.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Jared Harris is a great fucking actor.
    Jared Harris is amazing.
    NTTIAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Oh, man, last night. I wonder how accurate that was - the three workers who volunteered to go wading. I have to wonder if this had happened in the US or Western Europe if anyone would have volunteered. I suspect not.
    According to the podcast, it was real. More sacrifices to come.
    The new female scientist is a fictional character. She represents a bunch of experts called in, not all of which agreed.
    I learned about that apocalyptic explosion that could have destroyed Europe and almost happened for the first time. Stunning.

Craig Mazin went from Hangover 2 & 3 to this. Redemption.

The mega-catastrophe of the liquid core contacting the contained water below was sobering, to put it mildly. Ashamed to admit I didn't really pay too much attention at the time.

Just watched Ep2. Looking for more into the story of the guys that really kept this from being so much worse than it was. And can you imagine the world today the way they were describing if those water tanks blew? 50M+ dead IIRC. It is amazing this didn't end up so much worse than it did and it still was really bad.

Don't know anything about the show but my final paper of an engineering ethics class I was forced to take in undergrad was on it

Huge eye opener on how dumb, conceited and afraid humans are and how we will continue to do dumb stuff....smh
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

great 1st episode, i was hooked within 2 minutes. quality show evident. they sure have weird accents tho.

interesting factoid - after it happened, maps of the radiation spreading magically stopped at the french border. they found out years later that the french government suppressed information in order to protect the reputation of their nuclear industry.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    safety protocols? we don't need no stinkin safety protocols in mother russia!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    The mega-catastrophe of the liquid core contacting the contained water below was sobering, to put it mildly. Ashamed to admit I didn't really pay too much attention at the time.
    I never heard about that possibility either, until now. I’ve never been one to embrace conspiracy theories, but you’ve got to wonder why that wasn’t a major part of the story at the time.