Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Chernobyl

Quote Originally Posted by pappag View Post
    Does this show get any good? Having a hard time with British-sound accents playing former USSR guys.
    You’ll probably hate it, then. HBO should probably offer a version with Rocky & Bullwinkle dubbed voices as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    You’ll probably hate it, then. HBO should probably offer a version with Rocky & Bullwinkle dubbed voices as an option.
    Fearless leader says Moose and Squirrel are in reactor!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Fearless leader says Moose and Squirrel are in reactor!
    God Damn that made me laugh!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Does this show get any good? Having a hard time with British-sound accents playing former USSR guys.
    You’ll get over it soon.

Shitty fake Russian accents would be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    You’ll get over it soon.

Shitty fake Russian accents would be worse.

Good point.

Shitty Russian accents only work for bombshells like Vanessa Angel in Spies Like Us.

Good point.

Shitty Russian accents only work for bombshells like Vanessa Angel in Spies Like Us.
    Jennifer Lawrence
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Interesting article in my Sunday Long Reads email yesterday...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-c...2621-273540517

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post

The author looks familiar.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

That final episode is so good.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post

The whole series used the disaster at Chernobyl, and the characters, and their actions as a metaphor for climate change and our governing power's response to it. It took liberties, but it was still a pretty powerful message.

Climate change? I thought it was a screed against bureaucratic incompetence and the danger of dictatorial one party rule. Why is everything the fault of climate change these days?

Apologize if this is already here somewhere else, but the Chernobyl series gave me a little more understand of this amazing nonsense:
    https://m.theepochtimes.com/the-sovi...n_2230387.html

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Chernobyl Has Blown Up Twice

Still the nuclear lobby bang on about how such a thing could never happen again — ignoring the fact that it did, in 2011 in Japan. It was old Soviet technology, career-climbing bureaucrats and a closed, secretive governmental system that was to blame for Chernobyl they say. Even the show’s creative force and writer, Craig Mazin, he of two Hangovers, felt obliged to insist publicly that the show was not meant to be anti-nuclear and nor is he.

This latter position — given all Mazin must have learned during his years of meticulous research — has surprised some. How could he possibly arrive at such a conclusion?

It’s a rookie error.

Yes, Mazin studied the Chernobyl story in depth. He read Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich and Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe, by Serhii Plokhy. He became extremely well-versed in what transpired during and immediately after the accident, and the heroic actions of those who saved the world from an even worse outcome.

But unlike those of us in the anti-nuclear movement — and those aforementioned years of slog — Mazin is not an expert in nuclear power outside of what he knows about Chernobyl and the old Soviet Union. He did not spend years studying the US nuclear cabal, or Japan’s. Those weren’t topics relevant to his rightfully heralded masterpiece. He didn’t need to look.

So, as a rookie, Mazin never found out that a captured nuclear regulator, a nuclear industry that routinely takes safety shortcuts to save money, and a government whose officials bang the drum for nuclear power without knowing the slightest thing about its risks, all exist right here, right now in the USA. And in Japan. And likely anywhere where nuclear power operates. And of course an autocratic, unpredictable and secretive government isn’t exactly a Soviet exclusive either. Especially now.

The Fukushima Daiichi reactors that exploded and melted down in Japan in 2011 were not old Soviet designs, they were American — the GE Mark I Boiling Water Reactor (BWR), a reactor so dangerous that even GE’s own engineers said it should never be built. That was back in the 1970s. Now the 28 remaining GE Mark I and II BWRs still going in the US are old and consequently at an even more dangerous phase. Their containments are so tiny that in the event of a serious accident you have to vent their radioactive inventory into the atmosphere to save them.

Fukushima wasn’t as serious as Chernobyl, but a lot of that was luck. The wind was blowing out to sea that day. Then prime minister, Naoto Kan, didn’t let Tepco pull its workforce from the disaster site — which would have led to major meltdowns there, forcing abandonment of the site, leading to radioactive contamination of the nearby Fukushima Daiini reactor site, which in turn would have had to have been abandoned, leading to those reactors melting down…..and so on.

It’s amusing, therefore, to see Matt Wald telling a reporter for a story about the Chernobyl series in which I was also quoted, that a Chernobyl could never happen in the US. For years, we had to contend with Wald’s bias as he masqueraded as a reporter at the New York Times on, yes, the nuclear beat. I vividly remember a private screening by HBO of Rory Kennedy’s documentary about Indian Point, at which I came upon Wald sitting cozily side-by-side with then NRC Commissioner, Edward McGaffigan. McGaffigan, who after the screening inexplicably called the HBO women hosting the event, “bitches,” cast a verbal slur in my direction as well, at which the two of them contentedly smirked. When Wald left the Times to become the Senior Communications Advisor for the Nuclear Energy Institute — the position he currently holds at the industry’s lobbying arm — none of us in the anti-nuclear movement was the least bit surprised.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07...lown-up-twice/

This is incredible movie! Amazing work of the director (screenwriter) and actors.

It is a real shame the "Elephant's Foot" was not included in the series?

It is a real shame the "Elephant's Foot" was not included in the series
    If you do not know the Elephant's Foot as it is so affectionately referred to as is a massive radioactive mass of corium which melted its way to the basement of the building.

When it was first discovered it was reported to be so radioactive that radiation sickness symptoms would occur within seconds. A few seconds would cut years off your life. More than a few minutes near it and you would die.

To first study it scientists had to view it around corners with a complex set of mirrors.

Arguably one of the most dangerous objects on Earth in all of history.

It's radiation has lowered and scientists are able to be in the same room as it for minutes, but you won't want to wait around and eat your lunch with it.

When watching the Chernobyl tv series I was waiting for it show up, but it never did. I believe I saw someone posted a script on Techgara which showed it was going to have a few moments of fame, but it was apparently cut and that is a real shame.

This PBS Nova episode sprung up on Netflix the other day.

Fascinating stuff

https://www.pbs.org/video/building-c...gatomb-lyqrnh/
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........