Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

The pet hunting scenes...wow. Were they conducting similar hunting in the wooded areas, with the wild animals like deer and pigs/boars? Domestic animals are accustomed to humans and wouldn't run...

the 'bio-robots' bit to clear the graphite from the top roof was unreal, but also the kind of solution that was just natural to the Soviets. Frankly it's surprising to think of them ever running out of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    The pet hunting scenes...wow. Were they conducting similar hunting in the wooded areas, with the wild animals like deer and pigs/boars? Domestic animals are accustomed to humans and wouldn't run...

the 'bio-robots' bit to clear the graphite from the top roof was unreal, but also the kind of solution that was just natural to the Soviets. Frankly it's surprising to think of them ever running out of personnel.
    They eradicated all domestic and wild critters in the exclusion zone...

Heavy indeed, that was a tough watch...

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Heavy indeed, that was a tough watch...
    Yep, I’m not rewatching this episode.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Yep, I’m not rewatching this episode.
    After telling my 92yo mom she should check out the series earlier in the day, I had to call her back this morning to suggest skipping this episode (i told her I would provide the highlights with some omissions).

Smart move
    crab in my shoe mouth

After telling my 92yo mom she should check out the series earlier in the day, I had to call her back this morning to suggest skipping this episode (i told her I would provide the highlights with some omissions).
    Hmm. And last weeks episode with people slowly melting in agonizing pain wasn’t much better.

First episode was pretty easy to watch.

Yeah, this is a gruesome tale.

I'm just blown away. Even though we know basically what the historical record is, the presentation delivers stunning impact in spades.

I really didnt know what the historical record was. It happened in secrecy, and was kept there for years, after most of us moved on. Next stop, Fukishima. Theyve kept the wraps on that one, too.

+whatever on the brutal episode. At whatever means necessary...barring telling the truth.

I had just graduated high school when this happened. My mind was on other things at the time but I remember this being kinda bad. I had no idea.

Kinda wish they hadn't cut the commercials out of that. What a cool look into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Further-> Let’s not forget that Bernie honeymooned in the USSR in ‘88 just two years after and gave them great praise.
    Aren't you supposed to be locked in PolyAsshat? STFU and GTFO ya cunt.

It's been said earlier in the thread but the podcast is well worth listening to and a great addition to each episode. The writer details what is fictionalized and what is straight out of the historical record.
    Apparently they shot but decided not to use an even rougher follow-up to the puppy scene... Ooof.

Just ordered Voices from Chernobyl, I’m obsessed! Just heard the latest podcast, it’s a great companion to the show as has been mentioned above. And man, that rant by Stellan Skarsgard is all time, great acting in this mini-series.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Awesome soundtrack.
    the music/backround in episode four is the same music in the war scenes from full metal jacket, stolen? or the same producers/composers?

Just ordered Voices from Chernobyl, I’m obsessed! Just heard the latest podcast, it’s a great companion to the show as has been mentioned above. And man, that rant by Stellan Skarsgard is all time, great acting in this mini-series.
    Stellan is the shit. Check him out in River (Netflix, 2015). This cat's been acting since the early 70s, and is just as good as he's ever been, maybe better. Fascinating arc of his character so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Stellan is the shit. Check him out in River (Netflix, 2015). This cat's been acting since the early 70s, and is just as good as he's ever been, maybe better. Fascinating arc of his character so far.
    Cool, I will check that out, he’s been incredible in Chernobyl, maybe even better than Jared Harris.
    crab in my shoe mouth

09/07/2010

Chernobyl restrictions for sheep consumption ending in Scotland; not in Wales

Nearly a quarter of a century after the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl in the Ukraine exploded and spewed radioactivity across the world, it has finally stopped making Scottish sheep too "hot" to eat. In Northern Ireland restrictions ended in 2000. In Wales however, the restrictions are far from over.

For the first time since the 1986 Chernobyl accident, levels of radioactive contamination in sheep on all Scottish farms, 2300 kilometers to the west, dropped below safety limits, enabling the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to lift restrictions. Controls on the movement and sale of sheep have been in force since after the explosion in 1986. Peat and grass in upland areas of Scotland were polluted with radioactive caesium-137 released by the reactor, blown across Europe and brought to ground by rain. This grass was eaten and recycled by sheep, and has persisted in the environment far longer than originally anticipated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

That was fucked. Anyone else just hug their dog while watching?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    That was fucked. Anyone else just hug their dog while watching?
    X2

Hell even Reed College in Portland has a reactor. Does get much more left tree hugging than Reed! It really surprised me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I want to read more about that "genocide" in the Ukraine that Stalin perpetrated and they talk about in the podcast. Poland has been caught in the middle for most of the 20th century, but Ukraine is still catching shit to this day.

Having studied this accident extensively from my former field of study, and having friends who became so when our family hosted them when they left Ukraine following the accident, I was quite excited to watch this series.

I've only watched episode one. It is well done. There is quite a bit of dramatic license from the technical standpoint, but whatever, so far it hasn't departed to unreality driving unreality. I'm excited to watch the rest.

My first thought was that it was a stroke of brilliance to start the storytelling at the moment of the explosions. There is so much story in the disaster, leading up to the explosion there were so many failures of design, management, culture, planning, and systems. But if you start telling the story at that moment of explosion there are just as many failures of just as many types following the explosion, and you don't have to explain nuclear engineering to understand most of those failures, and much more drama suitable to the big screen as opposed to black and white text.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I want to read more about that "genocide" in the Ukraine that Stalin perpetrated and they talk about in the podcast. Poland has been caught in the middle for most of the 20th century, but Ukraine is still catching shit to this day.
    in non-fiction "bloodlands" is a good coverage of the general history of brutality in that region over the mid 20th century, but brutally depressing. Later this year there's a movie about Gareth Jones (welsh journalist who first broke news in the west of the holodomor, later murdered by Russians) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6828390/

X2
    X3