Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

It was 1986, Cold War was still happening, the amount of info coming out of the Soviets was minuscule. It makes perfect sense that we knew nothing about how bad it was at the time.

Did I tell y’all how much I like Jared Harris?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yeah, that's pretty much a major theme of this story. Nobody knew anything.

Crazy ass factoid. Chenobyl was home to four nukes, and the other three continued operating during all this. The last one was shut down in 2000. It was the primary source of power for Minsk, a city of 5 million.

Crazy shit. I was alive, but not nearly old enough to remember when it happened.
    I really liked the way they did the explosion in the beginning.
    The Wikipedia article is ok at explaining what actually happened and what the long term effects may have been outside the exclusion zone. Not great, but ok.

Crazy how they kept it running till 2,000. Did they just bus the workers through the zone everyday?

It looks like they dramatized the order of some events and made a few composite characters for simplicity's sake, but seems true for the most part. I don't know how dire the lava/steam/China Syndrome situation was, but there is lava in there and they did lose a helicopter at some point due to rotors vs crane. Oh and I guess there really are reports of tasting metal and a blue beam going up into the sky. Made me think of the 9/11 memorial.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Here's a good site with pictures from before and after the accident. Also has some video of the helicopter crashing, as well as a lot of good history.
    https://imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    Here's a good site with pictures from before and after the accident. Also has some video of the helicopter crashing, as well as a lot of good history.
    Thanks. Amazing.. really shows how well the series is made, it captures that style/period perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thanks. Awesome.

Great link. I saw this about a yt of a Ukrainian series about it w/ subtitles. Might make a good watch to fill in though spoilers I would guess.
    The core was exposed.
    Please note, this is NOT a photograph from the accident. It's a still from a Ukrainian 4-episode TV series (and also edited into a movie) from 2013 called Inseparable. You can read more about it here: http://film.ua/en/distribution/projects/241 and here: http://film.ua/en/news/822 The entire film can be watched (with English subtitles) on YouTube here:

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Oh, man, last night. I wonder how accurate that was - the three workers who volunteered to go wading. I have to wonder if this had happened in the US or Western Europe if anyone would have volunteered. I suspect not.
    Apparently, all 3 of those volunteers survived and lived well into old age.

"Research by Andrew Leatherbarrow, author of the 2016 book Chernobyl 01:23:40 determined that the frequently recounted story [of the 3 perishing] is a gross exaggeration. Alexei Ananenko continues to work in the nuclear energy industry, and rebuffs the growth of the Chernobyl media sensationalism surrounding him. While Valeri Bezpalov was found to still be alive by Leatherbarrow, the 65-year-old Baranov had lived until 2005 and had died of heart failure."

https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...mission-2016-4

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

"Research by Andrew Leatherbarrow, author of the 2016 book Chernobyl 01:23:40 determined that the frequently recounted story [of the 3 perishing] is a gross exaggeration. Alexei Ananenko continues to work in the nuclear energy industry, and rebuffs the growth of the Chernobyl media sensationalism surrounding him. While Valeri Bezpalov was found to still be alive by Leatherbarrow, the 65-year-old Baranov had lived until 2005 and had died of heart failure."

Great info, thanks. That imigur link was good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

They had protective gear. Most of the radiation deaths occurred to people exposed without any gear. Pretty much everyone who looked into the core died. That engineer, Sitnikov, who was sent onto the roof to inspect the damage died from just the few seconds he peered over the edge. For me, that was the most chilling scene. That was the real dragonfire shooting up.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    They had protective gear. Most of the radiation deaths occurred to people exposed without any gear. Pretty much everyone who looked into the core died. That engineer, Sitnikov, who was sent onto the roof to inspect the damage died from just the few seconds he peered over the edge. For me, that was the most chilling scene. That was the real dragonfire shooting up.
    What's protective? Maybe just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The history is so fucked up and obscured, it seems that the 28 number is similar to Trump's number for Puerto Rican hurricaine deaths.
    Agreed. There's really no way to know for sure but you can bet it was a higher number than that, at least within the first few months.

The 28 number was just the people who were present on the site on the day of the accident, including first responders. Read that on one of those links.

They didn’t count shortened life spans from people who developed cancer from radiation fallout down wind of the site. Or even workers who were exposed during the cleanup.

First two episodes are now available On Demand, if anyone needs to catch up or rewatch.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m hooked, man is this show both bleak and entertaining. Lots of modern political references worked in too, which is interesting.

Podcast is worth a listen too... writer explains what scenes actually happened as shown and what changes he made. He tells story’s from accounts he couldn’t include for time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Podcast is worth a listen too... writer explains what scenes actually happened as shown and what changes he made. He tells story’s from accounts he couldn’t include for time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    It was 1986, Cold War was still happening, the amount of info coming out of the Soviets was minuscule. It makes perfect sense that we knew nothing about how bad it was at the time.

Had to take an Engineering Ethics class in undergrad and I did my final report on Chernobyl. Almost every single bad practice highlighted in the class was evident a the disaster. The craziest two were that they had tried similar power down exercise near Vladivostok and nearly lost it so they hid their fuck up from even fellow operators. And the experiment itself had no safe exit.

Basically
    "we are going to turn off the power and see if we can recover"
    "ahhh what if we can't"
    "then we will worry about that then"
    "you know we are talking about nuclear reactor right..." slowly backing away

Great link.

The death is horrific.

Sickness, vomiting pain and burnt skin, then you start to feel better only to start having your skin fall off and your internal organs melt out your ass and mouth.

Really; I'd rather be dragon toasted.

Once exposed, nausea and vomiting will begin almost immediately, and within a short space of time your tongue and eyes will swell, followed by the rest of your body. You’ll feel weakened, as if the strength has been drained from you. If you’ve received a high dose of direct exposure - as in this scenario - your skin will blanche dark red within moments, a phenomenon often called nuclear sunburn. An hour or two after exposure, you’ll gain a pounding headache, a fever and diarrhoea, after which you’ll go into shock and pass out.After this initial bout of symptoms, there’s often a latent period during which you’ll start to feel like you’re recovering. The nausea will recede, along with some swelling, though other symptoms will remain. This latent period varies in duration from case to case, and of course it depends on the dose, but it can last a few days. It’s cruel because it gives you hope, only to then get much, much worse. The vomiting and diarrhoea will return, along with delirium. An unstoppable, excruciating pain seethes through your body, from the skin down to your bones, and you’ll bleed from your nose, mouth and rectum. Your hair will fall out; your skin will tear easily, crack and blister, and then slowly turn black.Your bones will rot, forever destroying your ability to create new blood cells. As you near the end, your immune system will completely collapse, your lungs, heart and other internal organs will begin to disintegrate, and you’ll cough them up. Your skin will eventually break down entirely, all but guaranteeing infection. One man from Chernobyl reported that when he stood up his skin slipped down off his leg like a sock. At high doses, radiation will change the very fabric of your DNA, turning you quite literally into a person other than the one you were before. And then you’ll die, in agony.

I can't touch Jack Daniels after a morning feeling like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    change the very fabric of your DNA, turning you quite literally into a person other than the one you were before.
    Spooky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Once exposed, nausea and vomiting will begin almost immediately, and within a short space of time your tongue and eyes will swell, followed by the rest of your body. You’ll feel weakened, as if the strength has been drained from you. If you’ve received a high dose of direct exposure - as in this scenario - your skin will blanche dark red within moments, a phenomenon often called nuclear sunburn. An hour or two after exposure, you’ll gain a pounding headache, a fever and diarrhoea, after which you’ll go into shock and pass out.After this initial bout of symptoms, there’s often a latent period during which you’ll start to feel like you’re recovering. The nausea will recede, along with some swelling, though other symptoms will remain. This latent period varies in duration from case to case, and of course it depends on the dose, but it can last a few days. It’s cruel because it gives you hope, only to then get much, much worse. The vomiting and diarrhoea will return, along with delirium. An unstoppable, excruciating pain seethes through your body, from the skin down to your bones, and you’ll bleed from your nose, mouth and rectum. Your hair will fall out; your skin will tear easily, crack and blister, and then slowly turn black.Your bones will rot, forever destroying your ability to create new blood cells. As you near the end, your immune system will completely collapse, your lungs, heart and other internal organs will begin to disintegrate, and you’ll cough them up. Your skin will eventually break down entirely, all but guaranteeing infection. One man from Chernobyl reported that when he stood up his skin slipped down off his leg like a sock. At high doses, radiation will change the very fabric of your DNA, turning you quite literally into a person other than the one you were before. And then you’ll die, in agony.
    Well, that right there is going to the top of the list of ways I don't want to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    At least twice, butt who's counting.
    I enjoyed his performance in The Terror.

Great series, albeit sobering to say the least.