Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RC cars

I was just gonna post about those. Saw an ad in an offroad mag that showed the 79 bronco version. I want one but can't quite justify 450.(I'm sure it's worth it)

6 minutes I'll never get back... totally worth it tho

I've watched several of those races. Legit racing.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

We had a Traxxas slash for a while, and it was fun, but you will break all kinds of stuff on them if you up the power with 3s, bigger tires, etc... We broke a arms all the time, destroyed driveshafts, center slipper clutch, motor mount, lots of stuff. Got it put back together properly and traded it for an arrma senton 6s capable truck. What a difference! My 6 year old beats the living shit out of that truck, and nothing breaks. Ever. Light years ahead of the slash. It's built like a 1/8 truck, same basic chassis and suspension and driveline as the bigger arrma stuff. Think arrma kraton with shorter arms. The boys senton is in the middle. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190510_175806.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	283349

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Searched for an RC car thread and what do ya know.....

Anywho.....bumping this because my 6 year old son has gone down the RC car rabbit hole on Youtube and is getting really into it. I bought him a couple cheap RC trucks off Amazon they broke pretty quickly and fixing them with super glue and zip ties doesn't always work.

His birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a better quality one that simply won't break as easily and/or has replaceable parts. I see the top rated ones are $500+ which is a bit much for a 6 year old. I'm looking for recs for a 4WD RC truck that's maybe ~$200 and can go fast and do cool RC car shit. If it includes batteries and a controler - that's a plus.

What does the collective think of this http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...dID=LOSB0222T2

It seems like rock crawlers would be good for young kids
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Searched for an RC car thread and what do ya know.....

Anywho.....bumping this because my 6 year old son has gone down the RC car rabbit hole on Youtube and is getting really into it. I bought him a couple cheap RC trucks off Amazon they broke pretty quickly and fixing them with super glue and zip ties doesn't always work.

His birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a better quality one that simply won't break as easily and/or has replaceable parts. I see the top rated ones are $500+ which is a bit much for a 6 year old. I'm looking for recs for a 4WD RC truck that's maybe ~$200 and can go fast and do cool RC car shit. If it includes batteries and a controler - that's a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    What does the collective think of this http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...dID=LOSB0222T2

It seems like rock crawlers would be good for young kids

Check this thread out. There's a bunch of recs for RC crawlers and bashers amongst the pics.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...h-my-kids-toys

We have a Traxxas crawler. Pretty entertaining campsite activity - crawl it around over boulders and logs. It's impressive what those things can drive over.

The crawlers don't go very fast, but they also don't break very often. We've had ours for a couple years and have never needed to repair anything on it. Everytime I play with some of the faster RC cars, something seems to break. The battery also lasts a whole lot longer on the crawlers. It's also a lot easier to stay entertained with a crawler in a limited space, whereas the fast cars kinda need some room.

signing on for this. just started searching around for my 7yo. we raked up a dirt track in the yard the other day and found his junky amazon cars won't do the trick. had the bigfoot and RC10 back in the day. going to be fun to get back into. if anyone wants to sell a 4x4 electric 1/10 scale or whatever we can beat it into submission here
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    had the bigfoot and RC10

Niiiiice. The Bigfoot was just legendary, and the RC10 was getting into 'serious' territory. I started with a Kyosho Raider, and eventually had an RC10.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Niiiiice. The Bigfoot was just legendary, and the RC10 was getting into 'serious' territory. I started with a Kyosho Raider, and eventually had an RC10.
    Was that raider AWD? Think my buddy had that one and always crushed me because I couldn't stop fishtailing everywhere
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Negative, it was the standard entry level thing with the massively oversized front bumper.

Not my pic

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  70.1 KB

Started my little out on a full size crawler.

She is 10 now, but still enjoys wrenching on the Jeep and the Bronco.
    Liking that '79 Bronco Traxxus. Maybe I can sneak that past the goalie for X-Mas.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

What are nostalgic Gen Xers paying for an RC10 these days? Mine is in a box in the parent's basement and I know I don't have the time to do anything with it.

WG:

If you want something really cheap and fast check out Wltoys from bangood.

I recently got a Wltoys 144001 (1/14 scale) and it's been a blast. Four wheel drive and stupid fast. Looking back I wish I had gone with the 10441 (1/10 scale).

Definitely not for everyone though - while it's very inexpensive, all parts or upgrades will take two to three weeks to arrive from China.

If you have a better budget listen to others who chime in with the name brand stuff.

My 5 year old broke everything I could find on Amazon. While the price point was good some only lasted a few hours. Then I ponied up last year and bought myself a Traxxas crawler. It's been a ton a fun, goes nice and slow, can go over all sorts of stuff I never thought possible. The 6 year old has played with it now for the last 3 months, the thing is bomber, nothing has broken at all. So yea $400 seems like a lot but sure beats buying a new one every other day. Now I just have to convince the wife I need another so we don't have to take turns.

For the nostalgia factor, Tamiya and Kyosho periodically re-release some of their kits from the '80s and '90s.

Wg, the big arrma stuff is badass. Fast and tough. Parts are widely available.
    Big step up jump with my Mojave exb...

High speed drifting on salt flats... 9 year piloting in this shot...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7787.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	385368

sprayin rocks all over the place. 9 year old at the wheel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7727.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	385369

K that jump video is awesome!!

Hoed and raked up a little dirt track in back yard for the 7yo and got one of these. Messed around a little tonight and think it will work for a while. Tough to get the dirt track real even, would woodchips work better? Have a lot those. Might just be dumbassing here

https://m.banggood.com/Wltoys-A959-R...4&rmmds=search
    Last edited by kokomas; 09-24-2021 at 08:51 PM.

We had a little 1/18 one for a while, it was a 4wd truck, similar to what you posted. Our home made track was never smooth enough for it to run consistently. We did set up little tracks in the driveway using cones, and it was a hoot there. Tires just aren't big enough for rough terrain at speed. Too small.
    Lots of fun to be had with them though...

Yeah, did some more raking and gonna take a half measure by returning the buggy for a pair of RL 979 truck because it looks like a smoking deal at $65.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHMB1QZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Then who knows, maybe Santa will bring a real 1/10 scale 4x4 truck for the track. Not a road car or a crawler, but rather something that is relatively fast and can eat up a rough dirt track. If we are looking to spend