Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I always get pre-release using a Vibram sole in a Frame AT binding, the same binding on the same ski with plastic DIN sole boots and no pre-release

I believe it is Becuz of the Vibram compressing and releasing the energy of that compression at the wrong time so ... boot binding interface

turn up the heel 1 DIN will fix the pre-release

I see people using AT boots in alpine bindings, personaly I wouldn't do it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When the shifts are set up correctly they do not prerelease, this is covered heavily in the Shift thread. I can't imagine a good reason not to get the shifts, outside of it only going up to 13... but I question if you really need the 16 DIN beasts? If so, then cast in your only option.

What makes the Dynafit Beast's so terrible?

Isn’t the Nordica Strider far more stiff and downhill performance-oriented than any Hoji-designed boots?

I also daily drive PP’s... even my ‘’replacement’’ resort boot, Solly Xmax 130 feels soft by comparison on snow, and it takes me a few runs to adjust to it. I just put another bolt in the rear spine of the Xmax’s, hopefully that makes them a little more responsive. I do not charge as hard as you, I’m certainly worse at skiing and most likely have a reliance on super stiff boots to make up for my mistakes. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why is having a stiff boot compesating for your lack of skill? A stiff boot allows you to drive the ski harder. If the boot flexes out on you, you cant drive the ski? Skiing centered isn’t everyones style.

$0.02

ive had some beast toes leave me in a lurch (boot and non boot related) and or cause a lot of lobbying Saewa (sp?) for replacements)
    ive had issues stepping in to all my dynafits
    but that problem turns out to be that if you are hiking/climbing rocks a lot and wearing your vibram soles (especially toes) you will not be able to step in and lock your toes, this is more of an issue for side country or sled accessed as you can find out you cant lock in toes on pure tour because you start out locked in...or if you go yoyo and wear the last key piece of plastic/rubber toe and then go to step in and it won't happen...this is real life issue

if you see this , sadly, get new boots, btw jb weld does not fix, i tried (note the tiny gray matter below the pin inserts - that was what was left of a completely rebuilt toe (both boots)...did not last...worked well for as long as it was there tho
    but otherwise i like all the dynafits

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3747.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	282796
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i cant say beasts are terrible
    but theyre rube goldberged markers and aside from price and learning to ski whaterevers whereevers with tech toe and acepting it
    these 14 din atk freeraider kiss have been all the binder i need

but i only compete for participation face shots on the old man smot poking fresh pow seeking tour in the oc
    so your results could vary
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Had similar wear issues on previous touring boots, okay maybe not to that degree... I built up that worn area that triggers the dynafit toe to close with successive layers of shoe goo and it did the trick. Not exactly back to factory fresh for durability but just keep touching up with more goo as it rechunks out from dryland hiking, sled use, etc...

To create initial form i used a wrap of duct tape around the side of boot to create a containment dam for the goo. Add a few layers, pull the tape and do the final forming with a utility knife.

Name:	P1110276.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	282844

Name:	P1110277.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	282845

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    $0.02

ive had some beast toes leave me in a lurch (boot and non boot related) and or cause a lot of lobbying Saewa (sp?) for replacements)
    ive had issues stepping in to all my dynafits
    but that problem turns out to be that if you are hiking/climbing rocks a lot and wearing your vibram soles (especially toes) you will not be able to step in and lock your toes, this is more of an issue for side country or sled accessed as you can find out you cant lock in toes on pure tour because you start out locked in...or if you go yoyo and wear the last key piece of plastic/rubber toe and then go to step in and it won't happen...this is real life issue

if you see this , sadly, get new boots, btw jb weld does not fix, i tried (note the tiny gray matter below the pin inserts - that was what was left of a completely rebuilt toe (both boots)...did not last...worked well for as long as it was there tho
    but otherwise i like all the dynafits

Name:	IMG_3747.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	282796
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Had similar wear issues on previous touring boots, okay maybe not to that degree... I built up that worn area that triggers the dynafit toe to close with successive layers of shoe goo and it did the trick. Not exactly back to factory fresh for durability but just keep touching up with more goo as it rechunks out from dryland hiking, sled use, etc...

To create initial form i used a wrap of duct tape around the side of boot to create a containment dam for the goo. Add a few layers, pull the tape and do the final forming with a utility knife.

Name:	P1110276.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	282844

Name:	P1110277.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	282845
    \

thanks that's how i got the jb weld to hold , with a tape dam....i was really excited when i first pulled it off and saw the finished product, it looked really good....but then it came off in short order....i will try the goo, that looks like a good remedy vs jb (too rigid i think)
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

It's not often a team shot sells a product--- but the CAST team is about as stout as I've ever seen. OP's dilemma isn't a binding choice... it's his boot choice. Stop trying to make your binding work for your boot. Make your boot work for the binding.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 14.35.18.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	282960

Derek-- your post on Insta about breaking every pair of skis you have ever owned really has me questioning why you're even trying to make any other binding solution work for you. You are the main reason CAST exists.

Hoji is a finesse God. You're not. (But maybe you can be )

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    It's not often a team shot sells a product--- but the CAST team is about as stout as I've ever seen. OP's dilemma isn't a binding choice... it's his boot choice. Stop trying to make your binding work for your boot. Make your boot work for the binding.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 14.35.18.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	282960

Derek-- your post on Insta about breaking every pair of skis you have ever owned really has me questioning why you're even trying to make any other binding solution work for you. You are the main reason CAST exists.

Hoji is a finesse God. You're not. (But maybe you can be )
    Gaijin...100%. It's not like I'd be trying to run Beasts every day within the resort. I've just seen equal parts good and bad when it comes to the binding itself regarding performance/reliability . Whole point of this thread is trying to piece together the best solid touring rig next season that I can also ski comfortably in bounds.

Now, based on responses and the boot mods that are required to have the Beast actually work for me (which they likely wouldn't anyway based on the AT boot I'm leaning towards at the moment) I'm pretty put off by the Beasts and just going stick with the ol' reliable Pivots and a CAST system.

Big thanks to all you guys contributing to this thread. It's basically re-assured me that my initial though of the CAST system is just what's going to work the best.

Also, having recently tried on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130, with gripwalk next season, I've found my AT boot.

Hawx Ultra XTD 130 w/CAST system it is. *sigh of relief*
    Last edited by DerekPersson; 05-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekPersson View Post
    Gaijin...100%. It's not like I'd be trying to run Beasts every day within the resort. I've just seen equal parts good and bad when it comes to the binding itself regarding performance/reliability . Whole point of this thread is trying to piece together the best solid touring rig next season that I can also ski comfortably in bounds.

Now, based on responses and the boot mods that are required to have the Beast actually work for me (which they likely wouldn't anyway based on the AT boot I'm leaning towards at the moment) I'm pretty put off by the Beasts and just going stick with the ol' reliable Pivots and a CAST system.

Big thanks to all you guys contributing to this thread. It's basically re-assured me that my initial though of the CAST system is just what's going to work the best.

Also, having recently tried on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130, with gripwalk next season, I've found my AT boot.

Hawx Ultra XTD 130 w/CAST system it is. *sigh of relief*
    You for sure made the best choice.
    Order a pair of proflexes and you will be set!

https://www.pulserevelstoke.com/accessories/proflex

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    You for sure made the best choice.
    Order a pair of proflexes and you will be set!

https://www.pulserevelstoke.com/accessories/proflex
    Those look pretty sick. Thanks for the heads up, I'll def. look into them!

Glad to hear this thread helped. Gear anxiety is the leading cause of me fucking around on TGR message boards.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Been riding Bests 14 for 4 years now, pretty hard backcountry with 10 ft jumps or so. No problem at all, probably 1 or 2 prereleases. A little hard to put the boot in on hard conditions but nothing too bad. I just broke one of the high heel riser though and am trying to find a replacement (any help?)
    Overall the CAST system is heavier than a Beast 14 since you have to carry more stuff. It feels safer though.