Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    If avail., I will always use SIXT car rental. 9 times out of 10, I rent cars in either Miami or Frankfurt. Usually, I rent something like a BMW 3 series or Audi A$ for less than $35/day. No ins., no extras. The key is to pick up and drop off at the same place, and rent with AMEX. I seem to never get a car with more than 10K miles, and frequently get a car with less than 5K. The cars are well maintained with good rubber
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Why the need to rent with AMEX?

Not sure whether you need to, but Amex gives you great ins. coverage. I think that when using the card, you are covered if your rental car is damaged or stolen when you use your Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Makes sense. I'm sure a lot of other cards do that as well. Probably something I should look into one of these days, since I always decline the CDW and anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Www.autoslash.com

You’re welcome. I save hundreds of dollars just about every time I use it.
    I usually play the "reserve and re-book" game, but for an upcoming trip, autoslash has done the search work for me. Slowly chipping away at the rental price, started at $320 for the week and now down to $266. A little bit of work (re-booking and cancelling) but pretty easy to do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Got upgraded from a Kia Forte to a Sequoia this past weekend. Loved that thing. I guess SUVs just sit around in the Summer in CO.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Got upgraded from a Kia Forte to a Sequoia this past weekend. Loved that thing. I guess SUVs just sit around in the Summer in CO.
    Just did a recent trip to LA where I was renting a Ford Focus. They were pushing kind of hard to give me a free upgrade to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I kept the Focus since I wanted max mpg and plain hate SUVs for big city driving. Cost me like $10 in gas to run all over the damn place. The lot was full of surplus SUVs and I saw they were going for dirt cheap when price shopping online. I guess they're just not as popular in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Makes sense. I'm sure a lot of other cards do that as well. Probably something I should look into one of these days, since I always decline the CDW and anything else.
    All three of my Visa cards offer the same deal. Pretty common I believe.

Come to Hampton Beach and cruise the strip in one of these. Surely to pick up one of the massholes from Lowell

https://seacoastexoticcarrentals.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    I was skeptical of the website, but yeah saved some money and easy to use. Thanks.

I just rented a 19 mustang gt while i was in Vegas for $61 a day from Hertz. It was part of the American Muscle group.. It was nice to rip around to the Hoover Dam then Down to Nelson to do some cliff diving then over to Red Rock Canyon..

Cliff diving? What was that like?

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Cliff diving? What was that like?
    Not as exciting as it sounds! It was 114 when we got there and there was a group of people with chairs in the only small area that you can climb out of where we walked to. The wife drank too much the night before so she wasnt feeling well so we didnt stay long enough to explore for a better spot. But other than that it was great!
    Not my video but heres what its like
    https://youtu.be/jSO9AA6TpVc

That can be fun and refreshing in that heat, but yeah not an adrenaline rush. Those higher jumps you still have to hit the water right or you will feel it. I love cool swimming holes but there aren't many around here that I'm aware of,

looking for recommendations of how/where to rent a real 4wd (i.e., body on frame, 4lo, at or other offroad tires, but highway legal). this is for work. pickup (seats 4 comfortably) or suv.

enterprise claims that they have some f250's in their norcal fleet, but none available when i may need it. hertz says they can get me an suv but cannot guarantee awd or 4x4 and i'm concerned we could end up with a unibody suv chassis on a car body (e.g., highlander) and shitty tires. i really don't want to deal with clearance issues or a shitty tires on a fully booked work trip. i also contacted uhaul (only 2wd) and some equipment rental places. the near-ish toyota dealer has a tacoma available, but only the access cab

Maybe roll the dice with Turo? Like airbnb for cars.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    looking for recommendations of how/where to rent a real 4wd (i.e., body on frame, 4lo, at or other offroad tires, but highway legal). this is for work. pickup (seats 4 comfortably) or suv.

enterprise claims that they have some f250's in their norcal fleet, but none available when i may need it. hertz says they can get me an suv but cannot guarantee awd or 4x4 and i'm concerned we could end up with a unibody suv chassis on a car body (e.g., highlander) and shitty tires. i really don't want to deal with clearance issues or a shitty tires on a fully booked work trip. i also contacted uhaul (only 2wd) and some equipment rental places. the near-ish toyota dealer has a tacoma available, but only the access cab
    A pickup truck from HTZ ought to do it for you. The fleet is almost entirely quad cab Nissans.

Why not a Suburbane?

[the “e” was actually spotted on ours one year in the Beav, rare bird that it is.]
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

Call the construction equipment rental places. United Rentals, Hertz, Sunbelt, Holt Caterpillar etc. I know we occasionally get some 250's and 350's from United and Hertz when we're low on foreman trucks at the jobsite.

Enterprise fleet might have some too, but you'll definitely hit with the construction rental outfits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Thanks. I tried two local construction equipment rental companies near me, nada (I was surprised!), but not the bigger ones mentioned. In the meantime, I think we figured it out with the client taking their personal vehicles.

Rented full size crew cabs from Avis before, worked out perfect, in Canada though...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I usually play the "reserve and re-book" game, but for an upcoming trip, autoslash has done the search work for me. Slowly chipping away at the rental price, started at $320 for the week and now down to $266. A little bit of work (re-booking and cancelling) but pretty easy to do.
    Giving this a spin Danno, thanks. I'll report back on the level of success.

Question though: the quotes it says are "one time", does it automatically send you updates of lower rates?
    I still call it The Jake.

IIRC, if you rebook, you need to enter the new details for a new search. But if you don't do anything when they send you new rates, it will keep searching on the old data. Not sure if that answers your question, I can't recall all the details as I haven't traveled anywhere in quite some time, fucking 2020.

Bmills, how did it work out for you?

I am optimistically planning a July vacation, and autoslash has already saved me ~$100. Granted it's in bits and pieces and has required I book 4 or 5 times (and of course cancel 3 or 4 times) and then go back to autoslash and enter the new info so it can search on that. Annoying, but total time has probably been 15 minutes, so that's worth it.

Word on the street is that car rental companies sold off a lot of their fleets during covid to cut expenses, and prices for rentals are creeping upwards because of limited supply. The rental I described in the post above is now going for almost twice what I reserved it for. So if you are planning to rent a car this summer, you might want to lock something in now. Still nervous that I will show up at the counter and there will be no car for me.