Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rentin’ Cars Superthread

I didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes and hijack their car rental thread, so here’s one that can be a repository of all things related to abusing vehicles that aren’t yours.

Discount codes, which shitbox can handle 4000 rpm acid-drops best, and of course, rearview mirror advice that only we can offer.

I’ll go: I have a long ass trip over Memorial Day that I’d rather put on Hertz’ wheels than my own. I usually just go straight through them or book through Hertz via Delta using miles but it seems given the holiday weekend that ain’t the cheapest way. Anyone got a good go to website? It’s been forever since I’ve used the likes of orbitz so I don’t even know what’s relevant anymore.

And don’t worry, I’ll choose the red one when I get to the lot.
    I still call it The Jake.

I rented a car today. I have it until Friday. I'll take suggestions.

there are some rental car stories from back in the day. with some encouragement I might tell them.

Top speed in reverse. Find it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Top speed in reverse. Find it.
    Well I do have to get to the airport Friday. Maybe i should just go out and do this right now,

Check Ashleymadison for a deal on a bundle

Got a red grand marquis in San Diego one time.. it got airborne somewhere downtown. Real smooth ride in general, but especially when the wheels aren’t on the ground..

Spending extra to rent a BMW in Italy was a good choice. The nav systems in those things are second to none. If I didn’t have that I’d still be driving around Florence looking for my hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    Got a red grand marquis in San Diego one time.. it got airborne somewhere downtown. Real smooth ride in general, but especially when the wheels aren’t on the ground..

Spending extra to rent a BMW in Italy was a good choice. The nav systems in those things are second to none. If I didn’t have that I’d still be driving around Florence looking for my hotel.
    They have GPS in Italy now?

Asking for a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I guess so. You can rent one and slap it into a little fiat but I was going to be spending a lot of time in the car and wanted something comfortable and nice to drive. I was able to search weird obscure destinations and it worked flawlessly even in the middle of nowhere. Disclaimer: I’ve been to Europe once an this was my only experience... maybe I didn’t need it but wanted to hedge my bets.

I've had good luck using Costco's travel site for car rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They have GPS in Italy now?

Asking for a friend.
    +1

Get the insurance. Don’t be Dex.

do they record top speed?

no real reason, just curious.

Rented a car in Mexico last week. Got the insurance. Backed into a post and cracked a tail light ten seconds after pushing the start button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FEE856F-51E9-41C8-B5AE-92C50976B74C.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	281821

Rentin’ Cars Superthread

Mrs. Plug is a hell of an attorney, but she can’t drive for shit.
    Our second trip together, way back when, was to Scotland. This was back when I had no idea that she couldn’t drive, and we were taking turns driving and napping due to jet lag. Anyway it’s her turn to drive and we are on one of those single lane roads up in the Cairngorms with a pull out every mile or so. One of those huge double decker buses comes at her and she pulls into the pull out and waits, (she pulls into the left which is the high side along the wall for the bus to pass on the right). OK, it’s all good. But just as the bus is passing for some reason she freaks out and accelerates straight ahead and scrapes the whole side of the car on the rock retaining wall.
    Yes we checked the insurance box.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Rental cars are 15% faster than normal cars around a high school track.

You CAN do an ebrake burnout while simultaneously hosting a windshield rodeo, but only in a rental.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I rented a pickup from the Hertz at Houston Airport and when I opened the glovebox, a handgun was in there. I drove the truck back to the rental counter and got a Maxima. I wasn't sure if all pickups were equipped this way in TX.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Rented a dodge suv in Bozeman that the rental lady assured me was an awd or 4wd, the next day, when it snowed 6”, I found out it was front wheel drive. The california plates and racing slick tires did not help my street cred at bridger...

When I went to return the car, i found a spot that had not been plowed for quite some time, got up some speed, and parked it in a foot of refrozen crud. Guarantee they had to tow that POS out of the spot.

Got home and bitched to the company via email. Got a voucher for half off my next rental.

Never trust the rental counter person.

Paid extra to rent an automatic in Spain next month. What is the probability that it is actually an automatic when I show up?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Paid extra to rent an automatic in Spain next month. What is the probability that it is actually an automatic when I show up?
    Why on earth would you do that?! Getting rentals with MTs is one of the best things about Europe! Rented a BMW 5 series diesel wagon in Germany once. With a 6-speed MT. In Spain, I've rented some little Seat with like a 60hp 1.0L engine. Was fun running around the cities with that little car and its proper MT. Also rented some Peugots and Citroens at some point, all with sticks.

I wish US rental cars offered cars with MTs but from a business perspective, it's understandable why they don't for our lame-o consumer market.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I've had good luck using Costco's travel site for car rentals.
    Costco is usually the best price you can find without working hard. Have also occasionally found a good deal through USAA.

If you really want to save money, never bother with travel sites like Expedia or Hotwire, because they make you pay for the car when you reserve. Instead, you do a search and reserve the best deal available on sites that don't require that. Then a period of time later (week or two or whatever), search again. When you find a better deal, reserve it and cancel the first car. Keep doing this every now and then until you either tire of it or get convinced that you're not beating the deal you have reserved. Oh, and obligatory:

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^**most rental cars can be cancelled up to 24 hours before rental. Even when pre paid. It just takes a week to refund your credit card. I currently have two cars rented for our trip to Hawaii. Costco and some bundled site. Costco was more expensive, but you get an included extra driver. Figuring out if that is needed.

Rent w a decent credit card and you don’t need insurance state side. As long as it is through a car rental agency. If you use the Airbnb of car rentals, no coverage.

I was given a comp rental car on a trip from a tourism board, on the island of Tenerife. Late one night I was going endlessly around a roundabout as the tires would squeal the entire 360. I thought it was hilarious. 2 of my 3 passengers decided to walk to the hotel, they were not impressed. So I drove back after they left and shortly heard cop cars coming to my area. I missed them in the nick of time, like by two blocks. I'm sure the people living around there called the cops on my obnoxious ass. Woke up to three flat tires and a hangover. It was like a burped the tires going in endless circles, or someone deflated my tires (I deserved it) One of the dumbest things I've ever done. A DUI could have made this trip a really really bad one and I probably woke up everyone that night within a few blocks.

Next day I had to show the person who invited me and paid for my trip that somehow three tires went flat and can I please get a new car?

I was trashing this rental and swerving into puddles during a hard rain. There was this big puddle on the left side of the road so I swerved to blast through it but then there was a squirrel drinking from the puddle and I hit him. It was a total accident but it would appear that I swerved in order to take out the poor little guy. I still feel like shit to this day. You know those fox squirrels live to be like 25? He could still be alive had I not decided to trash my rental. I guess the lesson is to keep it between the lines when trashing said rental.

I wrecked a rental in the UK by turning right out of the roundabout when the guy next to me was in the "turn or keep going" lane and I had no right to turn. I hit an late 90s or early 2000s E wagon and it barely left a scratch, some plastic from my rented Passat rubbed off onto the door. No dents. nothing. Brit says to me "quite remarkable, actually" and goes on his way. meanwhile, I had bought some sketchy 3rd party insurance through the internet when I rented the car. Passat's driver side was screwed. It drove fine. Everybody's telling me that "oh, that'll be like 600 quid, don't worry." I don't believe them because that would mean that car reparairs in the UK are about 25% of what they cost in the US and something just does not seem right about that.

Sure enough, the motherfucker cost 3500 pounds to fix which at the time I think was maybe like 6 or 7 grand US. Sketchy insurance, however, PAID!! Win. Now, I always go with the maximum insurance package.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

my westphailia was in the shop so I rented an ex-police ghostcar from rent-a-wreck to drive from kelowna to revelstoke and back

it was only a 350 Nova so it topped out at 160kph but with the police package it cornered flat

at some point running flat out killed the alternator so the red light came on, I just kept driving on the battery

except it was getting dark, without an alternator the headlights got so weak I couldn't see that freeway divider curb

got air

if i turned it off it wouldn't start so I just kept driving back to the garage and parked it ... no damage
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know