Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What about a leased car? Isn't it just a long term rental?
    Lease is like being married to the car vs buying the car which is like paying for a hooker

one is much easier to get out of than the other
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Lease is like being married to the car vs buying the car which is like paying for a hooker

one is much easier to get out of than the other
    My thoughts exactly. It's a monetary leash at best.

A day drinking newbie^^ slurring on his second post

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

And yes, dealership loaners are captured under the superthread banner.

I believe I’m responsible for a new provision in the loaner agreement at Audi Atlanta regarding no out of state travel as I put over 2k miles on a Q5 in a week by driving it to Ohio then South Carolina and back while some minor warranty work was being done on my car.
    Solid reference! Love that song. Also neutral drops are mandatory as well as reverse as fast as you can into full spin.

No fun rental car stories that I remember, but this thread does remind me of the friend that had an impending repo of his little Hyundai. The depreciation on that car the last week he owned it was noticeable.

Payless in Denver is about the shittiest operation I have seen.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Never buy a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Payless in Denver is about the shittiest operation I have seen.
    The shoe store?
    I still call it The Jake.

I used to travel a lot for work so lots of rental cars. For work related I take the insurance, I decline when on personal travel. Only trashed 2 of them over the years, luckily both times were for work and insured. Hit a deer with one, left a full imprint on the hood. Didn't dare turn off the car for fear it wouldn't restart. Dropped it off and said they might need to get it repaired. Never heard from them again.

2nd time was in Miami during a tropical storm that dumped 8" of rain during the day. Drove through water half way up the doors to make it back to the embassy suites in time for happy hour. Told them it got a bit damp with the rain storm. Some poor sucker probably bought that car at auction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    am I the only one who drives a rental pretty much the same way I drive any other car?
    Probably not, but you have to consider the demographic on here.

I must be flagged, because 3 of the past 4 rentals I've gotten have been Caravans. Which has been fine with me because I can fit gear, bikes, and kids and they're also pretty powerful. I've made a point to e-brake burnout each one with some gravel drifting thrown in for good measure. The kids love it, but I got myself in trouble. We had a flight get cancelled and our only option was to rent a car and drive it to our destination. The rental was a Caravan, and as soon as my son saw it he said "Cool! Can we do a burnout, dad?!" My wife wasn't impressed...with his comment or the burnout.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Too bad you couldn’t have executed a handbrake turn. Nothing gets ladies more excited than a well executed handbrake turn.

- Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Is that knuckle hair, or grease?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It’s GLH. I use it to hide my lack of knuckle hair. Got it from Ron Popeil....

Got a Nissan Versa on a trip recently. Of course, ripped that bitch around round-a-bouts like they were the chicanes on circuit de la sarthe.

It was relatively peppyand got decent mpg despite my thrashing.

The kicker was the transmission. I had thought it was a 6 or 7 speed auto because it would shift short and often. Rad. Till I go to pass a semi and the trans 'slips' and holds constant RPM. I seriously thought the car was toast at this point.

Turns out it had a CVT that was programmed to provide a shift feel in most scenarios. My first experience with that new CVT stuff.

By the time I return it, there was faint smell of coolant from the hood area and a little bit of extra ticking. They never said anything, wonder if the head lifted or the gasket failed. Only had 6k miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Why on earth would you do that?! Getting rentals with MTs is one of the best things about Europe! Rented a BMW 5 series diesel wagon in Germany once. With a 6-speed MT. In Spain, I've rented some little Seat with like a 60hp 1.0L engine. Was fun running around the cities with that little car and its proper MT. Also rented some Peugots and Citroens at some point, all with sticks.

I wish US rental cars offered cars with MTs but from a business perspective, it's understandable why they don't for our lame-o consumer market.
    Combo business/pleasure trip flew into Germany with my wife then did Austria, into Italy on the Adriatic, up over Brenner Pass in a snow storm, northern Germany and back to Munich. Got a Hyundai something or other, but was outfitted with decent tires, 6 speed, etc. It would do 117 mph on the Autobahn. It was fun but next time, definitely something actually sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Attachment 281894

I like to see how fast I can go before the car won’t let me down shift anymore....
    Is there a button to engage the 'dismiss' option?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engage.gif 
Views:	62 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	281979

Something to consider before venting your grievances at the LAX Enterprise counter.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...rage-incident/

an armed society is a polite society

Every NRA-nut is going to rent from Enterprise now.

rented a toyota corolla last week got 31+mpg highway, put over 1000 miles on it , good A/C (needed where i was)

added something to my own car policy for $7 that it covered rental and their loss of income if i wrecked it .
    had to turn off the radar lane and traffic sensing crap, almost caused several accidents for me...

$150 for a week...

most exciting thing about this car rental was......getting passed by a ferrari....

Name:	IMG_3693.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	283247

and the new raiders stadium in las vegas

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	283248
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

It's in my heart
    I'm making a financial start
    I'm a never was
    Trying to be a has-been
    A has-been on the come-back trail

^think i saw most of the people in the vid while i was there and ........met up with 1000-oaks too
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

renting a car on Kauai. Found a good deal from priceline for Advantage rent a car, the cheapest thing they had was a minivan, $280 for a week. Then I started reading reviews of Advantage in Kauai, and decided that the rate through USAA for a Hertz car, that was $30 more, was probably worth it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Www.autoslash.com

You’re welcome. I save hundreds of dollars just about every time I use it.

just finished renting a car from turo.

two things:

1. you do not know for sure if you are getting a well maintained car. the one I rented had tires with very questionable tread but I had to risk it because I was already committed and prepaid.
    2. if you do rent from turo, you want to pay the fee to have the owner bring the car to you and drop you off after as you may not know the area and send time and money trying to locate where the car is.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !