Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jezuz, kill the TVs, gather in the oversized living room, and talk to each other. Or, just stare at your phones.
    I want the people to go to other rooms at night. So would you.

Not sure if someone mentioned this (tldr), but all you need is a cable modem + WiFi router and some Roku boxes (one for each TV). If you want to get the normal over the air channels, either use an antenna or the spectrum app on roku. That’s essentially what I do, but granted, I don’t have that many TVs. But I have zero set top boxes.

The spectrum app mostly works pretty well, however, there are times when it gets overloaded and grinds to a crawl, like when big football games are on. Maybe that’s just a local issue, don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If you can just pay the $15 for their streaming service and still run 5 devices you can lose the cable box too.

Thta would be a huge benefit, thanks

There are media consultants that do this. Find a home theater/media design company near you and they can get you at very least a proposal for what you want

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The spectrum app mostly works pretty well, however, there are times when it gets overloaded and grinds to a crawl, like when big football games are on. Maybe that’s just a local issue, don’t know.
    It kinda crashes and starts pixellating a lot in big events here. So I'd guess not local to you.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    There are media consultants that do this. Find a home theater/media design company near you and they can get you at very least a proposal for what you want
    They are probably overweight and smell like stale pizza.

Of course this might lead you down a wormhole of adequate wifi coverage in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

FiOS not an option?

We did have a quote from a well-regarded company. It seemed high as shit. We went another way. For better or worse. On the plus side, I have like $3 grand to spend before I get to the amount those guys quoted me. Seems like it should be possible to come out okay, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    FiOS not an option?
    fuck me, no. It's all Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We did have a quote from a well-regarded company. It seemed high as shit. We went another way. For better or worse. On the plus side, I have like $3 grand to spend before I get to the amount those guys quoted me. Seems like it should be possible to come out okay, but we'll see.
    Roku sticks are about $37 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

How well it works will depend on the speed of your internet connection and how far the devices that are connecting wirelessly are from the modem/router

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using TGR Forums mobile app
    The Sheriff is near!

PM AustinFromSA. d00d owned a high end home theater retail store here in Big Sky. He knows this shit. He wired a lot of the billionaire's homes up in the Yellowstone Club.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Well that's what we're looking for.

TV/cable question

Our Sling on appletv works in one house at about 95 meg and it also works in our vacation home that only has about six meg. Granted sometimes we have to turn off the Wi-Fi on our assorted phones. Anyway, you definitely need to use some Wi-Fi based TV system.
    Over the years we’ve had complicated TV-through-stereo set-ups and I just wrote the instructions out once and printed it and put it by the TVs.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well that's what we're looking for.
    I was kidding.

we sometimes have digital choking running tv via the internet: pixelation, or freezing, or lagging from live

if it weren't cheaper this way, I'd get cable again...
    live sports are life

We did have a quote from a well-regarded company. It seemed high as shit.
    ha, sounds about right...!

the clients i've had who have gone this route have had turnkey satisfaction...it all worked and they paid for it

live sports are life
    they really are. I'm all in.

The problem with Roku is that it periodically loses login cookies and you have to sign into services again. So you might have to deal with some renter calling up for the Netflix password or whatever. Other than that it's a good option.

If you don't mind all TVs showing the same program you could hook the cable box to a 1x8 HDMI splitter and just have one box. But I assume that's not what you're looking for.

What's the problem with your current system anyway - signal strength on the CATV line? Cross-talk from remotes? People losing track of which remote goes with which TV? Might be best to just fix that issue rather than try to redesign the whole system.

I want the people to go to other rooms at night. So would you.
    I'M TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT THE GOD DAMN WHEEL!

Literally had this exact question coming here tonight. Setting up a rental condo with multiple tvs and trying to figure it all out. subscribed

Setting up a system that could land rockets on Mars is making it easy? Actually making it easy is having a tv or 2 in the common areas and no TVs in the bedrooms. We have been renting a 7 bedroom b&b for about 10 years. No tv’s in the bedrooms. Love it.

Carry on.

5 TVs?
    Fuck tech talk??
    WTF???
    Uno mas

Options include have a tech come in and check the wiring- could be freaking out due to bad connections, filters not right or the splitters not done up right.

Other options are see if Charter supports using a Roku or similar streaming device on the TV's and Wifi and login into an App (Spectrum does this) and you only have 1 main TV box to feed from the coax cable and drop and get rid of all the other splitters and connections and turn the other 4 set top boxes back in (saves money if they charge and rent the boxes to you also).

3rd option includes getting a DVR (Channel Master as one example) and watching everything from it. HDHomerun is another one that can be used for central access over wifi or wired connections to the various TV's (or computers or Tablets, etc.) in the house.

If you do go with any of the wifi solutions you may need to verify wifi coverage's and speeds. Or you will just be dealing with network issues and pixelation or dropped signals the same way. Mesh wifi (Google Wifi or similar) or a good high end gaming type of router that supports good AC 1900 or higher if the place could be covered with a single wifi router device.