Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Give me a day to get wifeys schedule! I’ll be back tomorrow

I was hoping to ski the SW chutes via Cold Springs campground and the south face ascent on May 31st, is general consensus that the road won't be open to Cold Springs by then?

With the warm weather I'd suspect the road to Cold Springs could be a go, maybe by 4th week in May. The Memorial holiday week-end crowd is to be avoided if you can help it. I spent 3 days on the mountain with only an Outward Bound guide for conversation, then (Mem. weekend) Saturday morning I awoke to hordes (at least 100 strong) of climbers coming uphill. A Mountaineer's outing as I later learned.

I think the best time to hit Adams is probably mid-June. I did it in mid July from Cold Springs and it was a little late. There were huge sun cups and runnels, much of the climb was over rock, but it was still fun. In mid June, the road to Cold Springs should be open for sure and the snow should be good corn. We started at 6:30 at night, climbed to Lunch Counter by 9:30-10:00 (a few laggards) then broke camp and started up at 6:30 the next morning. Bring crampons and an ice axe; the climb up was still set up and a fall would be a long ride to the bottom if you can't self-arrest. We descended around noon, after the snow softened in the SW Chutes then out via the RTM trail. It's a great climb/ski that's non-technical (other than the aforementioned crampons and ice axe) and not particularly dangerous. Be advised, though, that if there is any weather in the area, it can get nasty, quickly. I pledged to my wife and myself that I wasn't going up if there was a cloud within 1,000 miles. Fortunately, it was extremely great weather and worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I get home on the 5th so if you guys are looking to me for a date, let's throw out the 7th as a possible day to ski. Or the following Monday or Tuesday.I'm thinking we camp in cold springs the night before and climb the next day and do the whole route. It's long, but it isn't everest. What do you guys think? Want to camp Thursday and climb Friday, or do Monday/Tuesday? Or other thoughts?

All of this is weather dependent
    +1 for camp Thursday, climb Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Plan to go mid-week and camp on the ridge line around 7,500 ft. level (black sand beach) to acclimate.
    Camping up high is fun if you're going to stay for a few days and ski everything in sight.

But for a one-day ski, leave the heavy camping shit in the car and just make a long day tour of it with a light pack.

You won't acclimate in one night... you'll get a crappy night's rest and do worse the next day. Then have to return to camp to ski sticky schmoo with a heavy pack.

Keep the flexibility to return to the car by any route. Sleep at the TH or wherever you park.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Camping up high is fun if you're going to stay for a few days and ski everything in sight.

But for a one-day ski, leave the heavy camping shit in the car and just make a long day tour of it with a light pack.

You won't acclimate in one night... you'll get a crappy night's rest and do worse the next day. Then have to return to camp to ski sticky schmoo with a heavy pack.

Keep the flexibility to return to the car by any route. Sleep at the TH or wherever you park.
    This is good advice - slogging a 12 pack of your favorite beer uphill, then managing the trash on the way out sucks. Sleep at TH, drink at TH, climb and ski light/mildly hungover.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    This is good advice - slogging a 12 pack of your favorite beer uphill, then managing the trash on the way out sucks. Sleep at TH, drink at TH, climb and ski light/mildly hungover.
    Thirded. Makes for a better TH party too. Ask Abraham if you have any doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Having done it, I agree with this. However, we were shooting for sponsors, including a camping gear company so the mission was to show it in use... on the mountain. So, we carried it all up, including enough food for the whole time, a box of wine, etc. We tore down the camp gear and hauled it to just above the SW Chutes then summited and back to the gear and skied out. Walking the RTM trail from the bottom of the chutes back to the main trail sucked. My pack, with all the ski gear, camp gear, whatever else weighed about 65 lbs and was gangly. Here's a couple of the clips from this trip.

Some great advice in this thread guys!
    Just skied Baker yesterday and am hoping to tick a couple more off this spring.

I like the Thursday/Friday Combo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What does the collective think about the 17th? Puts us right in the middle of June?

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    What does the collective think about the 17th? Puts us right in the middle of June?
    That date is a no go for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I live close by and can ski it with you if your timing doesn't line up w/ what seems to be the NWSkier Adams party.

Right on! I have some flexibility. Wife works 3 days stints. I have that whole week of the 17th open! A couple days of the week prior. I’ll leave it to the group to pick a few dates and see what happens. Either way, I’m doing some stuff mid June and beers are on me if ya join TF!

I fully endorse any decision to ski Adams with NW_SKIER.

Friend skied it this past week from Morrison creek and said good corn. Hoping to make the trip over sometime after this next round of weather!

I'd be in for a June date for anyone looking to go, possibly a +1 with my buddy. Looking to do Shasta at the end of May. Done mcloughlin and theilsen so far this spring so it would be nice to knock off a couple more.

The weather service is calling for snow accumulation roughly 7.5K and above through this week / week-end on Adams. Amount could be a foot or so, more at higher elevations with some wind. Over-night temps suggest some new snow as low as 5.5K. Time to wait it out, not a mountain to be on when it's unsettled or stormy.

So is it still a go depending on weather for 6th and 7th?

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    So is it still a go depending on weather for 6th and 7th?

Yup

Fuck yeah

Someone once said, "A man's got to know his limits" and some knee surgeries, hip resurfacing, stroke, being 65 has me assessing. The consensus sounds like a night at Cold Springs with an early start. Just don't know if I'm able to pull the entire climb off with a decent return. And hate being a laggard to a trip so If timing works, I'll be on the trail around noon on the 6th. Minimal weight going with me and a cozy magma cave for a bivy at 7,400 ft. Yup, there is a cave with a soft sand floor, no Marmot poop, and you can sit upright in there. I'll be able see any parties approaching so hookin up wouldn't be an issue. Just hate to miss the trailhead fun but wise to take 2,000 vert out of the equation and possible I'm hanging out a second night up there anyway. Sounding good!

Any takers for pony keg consumption Thursday 6/6? I will supply from one of the breweries in the area of there’s enough interest

I confirmed with the Forest Service that the road to Cold Springs campground is open currently. Therefore, I'm going to try to make the climb and ski the SE Chutes next Thursday, 5/30. Let me know if you're interested in joining.