Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mt Adams 5/18 or 5/19

Hi Gang,
    Anyone interested in a Mt Adams spring harvest on either 5/18 or 5/19? Ive never been so I have been probing the depths of TGR for TR and beta. Sounds pretty straightforward minus catching the traverse out or the around the mtn trail. I am planning a one day push. Thinking 5 AM or earlier start with a return to the car around 3?

If I am completely foolish for thinking this or conditions are total shit right now please let me know. if you have any beta, Ill buy it w beer and if ya wanna go let make it happen.

Cheers
    Mike

Road closed 4.5 miles below trail head.

Bit early for Adams still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

IMO, the best time to ski that mtn is just before the road is passable to the TH. Once it's drivable, the place packs with Jabronies and the ski down gets discontinuous.

Ski cramps, whippet/axe.

Corn cycling now, hope it will be for your trip. Don't fuck with a mediocre weather fx.

If you're comfy with weather/crew/time, try the evening corn run as it refreezes from the top down as you descend.

Thanks Guys,
    Would y'all recommend the traverse back to the car or catch the around the mtn trail back up to the car? 4.5 miles seems aggressive to add to an already long day?

me

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    Would y'all recommend the traverse back to the car or catch the around the mtn trail back up to the car? 4.5 miles seems aggressive to add to an already long day?

me
    That's 9 miles... and makes your previous schedule more like a 3.00 am start.

Depends on conditions.. probably traverse this early in the season. Take at least a GPS app and keep an eye on your altitude to get either right though.

And I'd add boot crampons to Norse's list. If you need them and you don't have them you're fucked.

If you make good time don't rush the ski down... make sure you're getting corn after all that work.

It's a long day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thanks Guys,

me
    If you are dead set on May 18/19, then you can expect impassable to drive but discontiunous snow on the road probably just past Morrison Creek around 3 miles from Cold Springs. Heading up the creek drainage instead of the road should keep you on snow, and trending right @6K should put you back on the south climb route. GPS/ navigation skills should get you back through the correct drainage, though it is pretty easy to get off course down low. Add 6 more miles RT to your plan.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Thanks Guys,

me
    The RTM trail fucking sucks IMO - tons of up and down traversing - even when the snowpack is fat. At this time of year, take Mofro's advice on the exit (and approach).

There's gotta be money in a 1-900-ADAMSRD business: "Updates every 12 hours! There are no stupid questions, just stupidly long approaches!"

Well fuck me! Maybe June time would be a better idea? I’m wide opening most days after May 18 (semester is over). Willing to take the collectives advice.

If your midweek schedule is open, I'm planning to hit Adams sometime soon after I get home from work on June5th. You're welcome to join if you haven't made it happen yet. Like Norse said, by that time the weekend is a shitshow. Midweek is dead.

S or E side of mt hood are good half day options for skiing until Adams access is ready. 5 hrs up at a relaxed pace with breaks. Bring an ice axe, ski cramps, and boot cramps.

NW_SKIER, sent ya a PM.

Hood sounds great but too far of a drive from CdA!

NW_SKIER, sent ya a PM.

Best bet for access will be via White Salmon in the Columbia gorge, so you'll be near Hood anyway. Trout Lake is where you pick up the permit.

FR23 and FR25 out of Randle are less certain. Not only are they high and snowy, but prone to washing out.

Well now it sounds like a helluva fun couple day adventure! Any interest NM?

NW_SKIER, sent ya a PM.

Got it. I'll be in touch. Adams is a good time!

If you're not some sort of weirdo, we can carpool from the Yakima Valley since it's in your path from home.

Abraham.You following along here? I don't have your digits anymore.

I may join this midweek early June adventure too...

Sounds like more fun than work. Im in...

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

More fun than going to work that is

Oh boy! Another NWskier Mt Adams party. I'm tentatively in.

Mt Adams 5/18 or 5/19

Ooohhh fuck this sounds fun!! Anyone have dates? Tentatively in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    KEEP IT DOWN! I WANT TO GET AN ALPINE START TOMORROW! LMAO

Not a weirdo. Well, I annoy the shit outta my wife and am pretty sarcastic and like beer so there is that.
    I also like long walks in the woods and falling asleep on the couch. Usually with a whisky in my hand and maybe while chewing tobacco. Does that qualify me as a weirdo?! Ha

Sounds like a helluva fun time to be had when this comes together. Sooner I have some dates the better so I can ask my wife to take those days off to hang w the kids so I can go play!

Cheers
    Me

I'm heading there in / around third week of May, conditions permitting. Plan to go mid-week and camp on the ridge line around 7,500 ft. level (black sand beach) to acclimate. Also works for the 333 chute return without too much clambering around. Done the one day thing before and it's brutal if you're driving home same day - Seattle / summit / Seattle was a 20 hour effort but hauled alpine gear too. I'll stay tuned here & see what shakes out with you esteemed gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Want to carpool?

I get home on the 5th so if you guys are looking to me for a date, let's throw out the 7th as a possible day to ski. Or the following Monday or Tuesday.I'm thinking we camp in cold springs the night before and climb the next day and do the whole route. It's long, but it isn't everest. What do you guys think? Want to camp Thursday and climb Friday, or do Monday/Tuesday? Or other thoughts?

All of this is weather dependent
    Last edited by NW_SKIER; 05-08-2019 at 10:24 PM.

We need stickers