Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383

    July 19th - 21st - First Annual Maggot Toyota Land Cruiser Meet up

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	920.0 KB 
ID:	281776

    It's no secret that the 2nd unofficial maggot vehicle besides a Audi A6 Avant with Carbon Roof Box is a Toyota Land Cruiser.

    Idea was hatched here.

    To keep from filling the 80 series thread from filling with trip planning discussion, let's discuss here.

    Current thoughts:


    A 2-3 day backcountry road trip with Land Cruisers.

    TRIP STARTS July 19th and will go through the 21st

    Intended route will follow Roads/Trails passable as a stock LC, but will require some good tires (M/T or Aggressive A/T) and maybe a bit of line choice. All attendees should plan on self sufficiency including proper recovery gear, spare parts, full size spare tire, etc. We may travel quite a way from the nearest tow truck. Also plan on primative camping in the backcountry.

    Eastern Washington or Central Idaho are currently 2 locations being discussed. Leaning Central Idaho.

    We may keep specific location/trip route private until the event to protect some otherwise not well known destinations from google. General location will probably be posted here and those planning on attending will be filled in on details.

    All Toyota Land Cruisers of all Generations welcome.
    Last edited by Leavenworth Skier; 05-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    555
    As long as I can get the time off work 100% in for shenanigans.
    Will do some route research.
    Hopefully the turbo comes in time!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    How many people have 4th of July off?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    555
    I was thinking that weekend as well but have a buddy coming up to visit. Would have to see if he's interested in joining. Otherwise can't do that weekend.

    July 4-7 I could potentially then
    Or the weekend of the 20th. Can't do 13th.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,106
    I'm definitely out for July 4th for a river trip. I think the 20th time frame would be good and guarantee all the snow is gone. Most stuff should be melted by the fourth but I've been skunked before on high passes due to snow.

    On the southern end of "central" ID, there is plenty of good stuff around Stanley. The northern boundary would be the Mcgruder Corridor. Joseph, OR to the west and Salmon/Challis, ID to the east. I'm good with eastern WA too but not familiar enough there to make recommendations. If it all works and I can make the trip, I could bring a nice base camp setup for group cooking and eating.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    All Toyota Land Cruisers of all Generations welcome.
    What about a fancy L badged J120?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm definitely out for July 4th for a river trip. I think the 20th time frame would be good and guarantee all the snow is gone. Most stuff should be melted by the fourth but I've been skunked before on high passes due to snow.

    On the southern end of "central" ID, there is plenty of good stuff around Stanley. The northern boundary would be the Mcgruder Corridor. Joseph, OR to the west and Salmon/Challis, ID to the east. I'm good with eastern WA too but not familiar enough there to make recommendations. If it all works and I can make the trip, I could bring a nice base camp setup for group cooking and eating.
    Weekend of July 20th would work for me.

    I'm going propose that we set our sights somewhere in the pocket North of McCall and East of Joseph off the Highway 95 corridor (if you've been there). It's seems to be centrally located for everyone who have expressed interest (4 hours from Spokane/CDA, Wenatchee and Boise, 6 Hours from Seattle/Portland) and isn't a terrible drive from SLC or Bozeman should any Rockies mags want to join. Meaning it's a doable thing as a longish 3 day weekend.

    I have never spent time in that area. Looks like some good mountain and river access. Anything interesting?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What about a fancy L badged J120?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'd say, yup!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,106
    Yes. There is good stuff there. That is where I grew up. If Stanley isn't too much of a stretch, there's a spot that would be sweet too. I think either of those areas will provide what we are looking for. Once we get closer, I could also line up some routes home for everyone. We should hopefully be behind too much snow and ahead of too much fire.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    555
    I vote we shoot for the weekend of 7/20 then.

    I don't think we should restrict to only cruisers if someone in say a taco or 4runner wanted to join, but dont show up in a Crosstrek.

    I agree with the terms of mandatory gear. Every rig should have recovery straps and a full size spare at minimum and some working knowledge of your truck.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,106
    And know how far you can get from a gas pump and make it back or bring some extra.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,520
    How will the LandCruiser dweebs feel special if you open this up to all-Toyota or -gasp- any 4x4 truck?

    Far outside chance that I could make a little party like this.

    My Tundra isn't an off-road vehicle, and I'll have an infant in tow (!!), so no gnarly trails for me... but if mom/baby are healthy, we've been talking about cruising around to camp during the break from work.

    Maybe some playboating or other river goofing could be in the mix, if the Salmon/Snake is the chosen spot.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,106
    Yeah dude. You could even make part of the trip and I could line you up on park and play depending on flows. I think everything we're looking at will put us near the Clearwater (will be low), the Salmon or Payettes and those always have something going.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    How will the LandCruiser dweebs feel special if you open this up to all-Toyota or -gasp- any 4x4 truck?
    As long as you don't show off with your big throaty 5.7 v8 vs. our sad little i6 motors I suppose you can come along.

    My thoughts on vehicles.

    I feel if you have a Cruiser or a Cruiser derivative (LX, GX/Prado), you should drive that. If you have something that you feel like matches the capability of a mildly built Cruiser, drive it. Tacos, , 4runners or even *gasp* Jeeps. We're talking rugged, mildly capable, moderate ground clearance with recovery points and not too big/wide.

    Full size trucks aka long bed 4 doors and such aren't gonna be a good choice for what Conundrum and I are talking about. Nor would an Outback or something more on the car spectrum. Low-range probably required. Based on our emailing back and forth I think he's got some good ideas for destinations that will be really fun if you've got a stock+ cruiser but passable in a stock rig.
    Last edited by Leavenworth Skier; 05-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,042
    Hell yeah!! Count me in. July 20th dates work for me. The 4th is a no go.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    2,737
    I'll be in Ketchum from like 6/31 to 7/10.
    I don't know if we'll be able to make it back up the following week. My buddy who bought my old 80 will be there too...

    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    As long as you don't show off with your big throaty 5.7 v8 vs. our sad little i6 motors I suppose you can come along.

    My thoughts on vehicles.

    I feel if you have a Cruiser or a Cruiser derivative (LX, GX/Prado), you should drive that. If you have something that you feel like matches the capability of a mildly built Cruiser, drive it. Tacos, , 4runners or even *gasp* Jeeps. We're talking rugged, mildly capable, moderate ground clearance with recovery points and not too big/wide.

    Full size trucks aka long bed 4 doors and such aren't gonna be a good choice for what Conundrum and I are talking about. Nor would an Outback or something more on the car spectrum. Low-range probably required. Based on our emailing back and forth I think he's got some good ideas for destinations that will be really fun if you've got a stock+ cruiser but passable in a stock rig.
    Yeah you should keep the club pure for the 4by'ing.

    I'd just be up for a beer in Riggins or a wave session while the crew rolls through.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,004
    Is is bad form to tow a stock truck to the meet up?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Is is bad form to tow a stock truck to the meet up?
    we could definitely have your 3" lift installed by then...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,503
    This sounds like good time. I doubt I'll be able to make it but I hope you doods have fun!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    FEMA Region X
    Posts
    737
    Interested. Noncommittal. Excited to see the plans unfold.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,075
    Definitely interested. Prob be a last minute call for me. I didn't want to rain on the landcruiser party but if 4runners are cool I'll try and make it. It'd be a 4th gen on 33s, locked(rear) and geared, armor/winch etc.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Definitely interested. Prob be a last minute call for me. I didn't want to rain on the landcruiser party but if 4runners are cool I'll try and make it. It'd be a 4th gen on 33s, locked(rear) and geared, armor/winch etc.
    A 4Runner is a Land Cruiser Prado in any other country.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    11,144
    Anytime in July works for me.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,106
    Hey, we've been talking and it looks like the weekend of 7/20. We'll try to plan it for a 3 day with maybe some extensions if anyone wants to see more stuff. Three rendezvous towns under consideration are Grangeville, ID, Stanley, ID, or Riggins, ID. There should be plenty of travel a stock 4x4 can do with some things at the end of each that would require throwing your gear in one of the bigger rigs and hiking a couple miles or riding in a bigger rig a couple miles to get to camp. Regardless of where we end up, none of the scenery will suck. LS and I have some convos going and will narrow it down soon. Plans subject to change based on snow (should be clear and I'll monitor) or fire activity. All of these places have been seeing more fires but we should really be ahead of anything thick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •