Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

All Season Tire Recs for Subaru Forester/Toyota RAV

Both my wife and daughters cars need new tires ASAP....so wanted to hear from the collective. I tried to search through past threads, but figured Iíd start a more current one.

We live in NEPA....and use All Season tires. Both drive about 15,000 miles a year. Both vehicles currently have the stock tires on from Subaru and Toyota. They got about 30,000 miles/2 years out of them.

Now we are shopping for the long run....but there is just so many choices....and I need help weeding through the mess that is buying tires.

Welcome to any/all recommendations, but I would love a drop the mic type of recommendation.......

Thanks...
    Last edited by BC.; 05-06-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Tire Rack is a good place to start for research and price. Then I google what I decided on and often find it cheaper some place else. Last set of tires were bought on Ebay and shipped from Discount Tire at a price they did not offer in the store or on-line. So do some research and then shop around.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thanks....did that already...was overwhelmed with too much info. Was hoping people had recs......and then see if they compared to what I researched/had put on my short list.

Short List

-Yokohama Geolandar G91 (current tire)
    -General Altimax RT43
    -Continental True Contact Tour
    -Michelin Premier A/S

I went through two sets of the Continental Tru Contacts on my recently retired 2010 Forester, and loved them. But, 35,000 max before they start slipping on hardpack.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Geolanders have been great on minivan, use dedicated Snowís...but these are great in the shoulder season, slush light snow etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Run Geolander G015s on our RAV4 year round. Work pretty decent in the snow and they are quiet. Will run another set when they wear out.

My Outback came with Michelin Defender LTX M/S, I run snows in the winter but htese have been great the rest of the year and I don't fret when it snows during shoulder season.

I really like the Nokian WRG3's I have on my allroad. They call them "all weather" tires rather than "all season" - basically it's an all season with a winter bias. Hanfle really well, quiet, great in reasonable amounts of snow and on hardpack etc. I'll buy them again if they're still out there when i need tires for that rig. A little hard to find, look around a bit.

https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...2456/overview/

if you need a CR membership to read that ^^ I can cut and paste

I have the Premier LTX on my Highlander. Great tire but reviews comment on poor treadwear.

I'd also add the 'plus' Pirelli to your list. They've been getting very good reviews.

The General is a good budget tire, made by Continental.

Yeah, the General Altimax was recommended by the tire place.......but... Iím afraid itís ďtoo much of a budget tireĒ.......daughter/wife are driving these vehicles...so I donít want to buy the ďbudgetĒ tire just to save some coin. They drive a lot...on shit PA roads.

Iím leaning towards that Continental TrueContact or Michelin Premier or Defender. Hoping to get more than 30,000 miles than they were getting with the Yokohama Geolandar.

Iíd much rather be putting money towards a trip back out to Mammoth than buying 8 friggin tires....

Thanks mags...appreciate the recs.

17Ē wheel? - Continental extreme contact DWS

16Ē wheel? - Geolander ATS, the real one, the truck tire, not the neutered passenger car version of the geolander.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Eco compounds are the closest thing to tru soft col weather grip but all season longevity. Conti Control Contact variations are good tool but as mentioned, wears down past the siping around 30-35K tops. I get that out of them driving on warm pavement for more than 90% of that drive time. NEPA might eek a little more out of them being colder in the winter there.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I think you'd be pretty happy with the Generals. It's not like they would be more likely to flat than a Michelin.

It all depends on the price difference.

I've bought I think 3 sets of those Conti Extreme Contact DWS, they're great tires but to me they're not really SUV tires, they have a sports/performance bias in my mind. But they're definitely really good tires.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I think you'd be pretty happy with the Generals. It's not like they would be more likely to flat than a Michelin.

It all depends on the price difference.
    True...definitely a price difference. 500 for 4 Generals......800 for 4 Michelins.... (thatís why they scare me off....they seem to be too much of a discount)....but they do have decent reviews on Tire Rack.

this place is slipping.....

tech talk jong!!!

get the red raised lettering, worth a shit load of traction

I had some Michelin defenders on my old van. Kind of spendy but quiet and long running. Factor free balance and rotation from a local retailer when your shopping. $75-100 extra for a life time of balance/rotation isn't such a bad deal. If you have early wear a good shop will take care of you compared to buying tires on line.

Tire Recs in Tech Talk?......nah......Iím right at home in the PR.

Iím actually going to spray paint the tire red....and black out the lettering.

Iím getting those Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06.........x 8

Thanks Mags...appreciate the recs.

Geolander G015 is one of very few tire models that's "snowflake" rated, and also speed-rated and mileage-rated (60K, I think). It's a little knobby, and you'll shave off an MPG or so (and I don't imagine that they'll be as good in snow as proper "winter tires"), but for all-around including some snow and dirt, they're great so far.

For snowflake + all-around, Pirelli makes one (Scorpion AT-Plus) that's knobbier than the G015, and I think Bridgestone makes one that has a more road-style tread pattern.

For general convenience, see if you can buy at a tire dealer close to where you live that will match Tire Rack (typically they will, though sometimes you have to ask). Waiting in a long line just to talk to somebody at Costco (where the selection is bare-bones too) every time you need rotation service isn't worth the $70 savings.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Thanks....did that already...was overwhelmed with too much info. Was hoping people had recs......and then see if they compared to what I researched/had put on my short list.

Short List

-Yokohama Geolandar G91 (current tire)
    -General Altimax RT43
    -Continental True Contact Tour
    -Michelin Premier A/S
    Iíve got General Altimax tires on 3 cars I look after (wife and too kids). Also a set of General Altimax snows on one car. One set is on a 14 Forester which replaced a set of Geolanders.

Are they the best tires made? No. But they wear very, handle pretty well and are available for reasonable money, check tire rack for pricing. Just because they donít hose you as badly on price doesnít make them bad tires.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Do some research on the Pirelli Sottozero. It's a winter tire that seems to hold up well during summer driving in the Mid-Atlantic. All reviews say it's very good in rain and surprisingly good on dry pavement/heat. I am running them on my car, mainly because I can't get the right size in a Nokian WRG3 for my car and am new enough to my BMW wagon that I don't want to off-size my tire yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've bought I think 3 sets of those Conti Extreme Contact DWS, they're great tires but to me they're not really SUV tires, they have a sports/performance bias in my mind. But they're definitely really good tires.
    Agreed. I use these a lot on my V70R and they work pretty good up at Mammoth in the snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

In my recent shopping, I havenít found a better deal than Costco when theyíre running a $1 install special, especially if you take into account free road hazard and free rotate/balance, and the convenience since Iím already there. I call ahead and have never waited very long for install, and they typically have a rotate/balance done before Iím done shopping.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My dad has had good luck with the vredestein quatrac 5s, as they're sever snow rated and still an all-season.