Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Upgrading DT Swiss 370 rear hub

I’m not 100% happy with the engagement on this hub that came with my bike last year. I see there is an upgrade kit to the star ratchet, but the debate rages on mtbr whether the $$ is worth it or if I should just rebuild with something better all together (which doesn’t really make sense until I blow it up). What day ye?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

My 370s have pawls. I think they all do. Have you pulled the freehub body to be sure?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My 370s have pawls. I think they all do. Have you pulled the freehub body to be sure?
    I assume OP is referring to the upgrade from 18t to 54t "star ratchet". Not sure what the 370s come stock with. I run a 350 with 54t star and it's awesome.....and loud, because that's important

FWIW, the i9 hydra hubs look insane if you are going full rebuild of the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I assume OP is referring to the upgrade from 18t to 54t "star ratchet". .
    This.... sorta. from the 3 pawl to the 54t star ratchet.
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/d...hoC4sYQAvD_BwE
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/d...hoC4sYQAvD_BwE
    If I am remembering correctly you don't change anything with the pawls. You are just putting in rings with 54t to replace the stock 18t.

This is the youtube swap for this hub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xp...ature=youtu.be
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Ahh OK, I was way off. Basically changing all the guts. Probably worthwhile if it's not too expensive. Plus you won't have to take the whole wheel apart.

Buy a new 350 hub ($275) with the same flange spacing. Use the same spokes and relace it your self. Have a shop true it up. ($40). Sell the 370 ($75) Cheaper in the long run
    To convert a DT pawl hub to star ratchet you need to buy:
    Ring nut (HXDXXX00N1131S) $15
    Ring nut spacer (part not found?)
    Star ratchet $100
    Bushing (part not found)
    Free hub $75
    End cap $23
    Tools: or shop time ($40)
    Ring nut remover tool (3 pawl) (HXTXXX00N5266S) $75
    Ring nut install tool (star ratchet) (HXTXXX00N5027S) $75

My quick math has $240 in for a new 350 hub with a sale of the old one. Or $270 in parts to upgrade the hub.
    I’d rather sell a 370 hub then have a bunch of loose parts left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Buy a new 350 hub ($275) with the same flange spacing. Use the same spokes and relace it your self. Have a shop true it up. ($40). Sell the 370 ($75) Cheaper in the long run
    To convert a DT pawl hub to star ratchet you need to buy:
    Ring nut (HXDXXX00N1131S) $15
    Ring nut spacer (part not found?)
    Star ratchet $100
    Bushing (part not found)
    Free hub $75
    End cap $23
    Tools: or shop time ($40)
    Ring nut remover tool (3 pawl) (HXTXXX00N5266S) $75
    Ring nut install tool (star ratchet) (HXTXXX00N5027S) $75

My quick math has $240 in for a new 350 hub with a sale of the old one. Or $270 in parts to upgrade the hub.
    I’d rather sell a 370 hub then have a bunch of loose parts left over.
    OK, that's sort of where I was getting with this, but then I thought maybe I was making too much out of it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Got it, I thought you meant just the 54t upgrade. I’d keep it until the wheel dies and replace everything, but I’m in no position to argue against unnecessary upgrades. So, I’ll suggest upgrading the whole wheel with something really shiny like the I9s Whitey suggested.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Spending $200+ dollars just to get higher engagement on an otherwise functioning hub seems silly. And that's coming from someone who gets really annoyed with the shitty engagement on DT Swiss hubs.

FWIW, I am in my second year on my Chinese 54t star ratchet with zero issues. I was actually thinking today that it sounded a little loud and probably needs a lube. I would buy (Chinese) again.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    FWIW, I am in my second year on my Chinese 54t star ratchet with zero issues. I was actually thinking today that it sounded a little loud and probably needs a lube. I would buy (Chinese) again.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I was just wondering about this. Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I was just wondering about this. Good to hear
    Ditto. Any chance you have the site you bought it from handy?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

https://www.ebay.com/usr/qincycle?_t...72.m2749.l2754

I actually bought this thing twice. The first seller said he shipped me the 54t ratchet, but the tracking info stopped updating after a while. I got a refund from that seller and purchased again from qincycle. They delivered.

Any drawbacks to the pawl-less Onyx hubs? Other than ridiculous pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Any drawbacks to the pawl-less Onyx hubs? Other than ridiculous pricing?
    They weigh roughly twice as much as a DT Swiss 240. The Onyx rear hubs are pretty much the heaviest on the market. [insert discussion of unsprung mass here]

I'm not totally up on it but onyx have new hubs that they've machined a fair bit of weight off. I think there's still a weight penalty. I haven't tried them but I hear their sprague clutch freehub is very strong. A bit unconfirmed but reputable source. I'm curious. Thought they'd be a good emtb hub
    Lite bicycles is offering them on some light weight wheel offerings. May score a pair on their end of the season blowout. I'm still hoping to hear more on them
    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm not totally up on it but onyx have new hubs that they've machined a fair bit of weight off. I think there's still a weight penalty. I haven't tried them but I hear their sprague clutch freehub is very strong. A bit unconfirmed but reputable source. I'm curious. Thought they'd be a good emtb hub
    Lite bicycles is offering them on some light weight wheel offerings. May score a pair on their end of the season blowout. I'm still hoping to hear more on them
    I'm just going off the weights that are published on their website. ~440 grams for a rear hub. I'm not a huge weight weenie, but that's a lot. Especially for the price. And especially because I think instant engagement makes your suspension feel shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm just going off the weights that are published on their website. ~440 grams for a rear hub. I'm not a huge weight weenie, but that's a lot. Especially for the price. And especially because I think instant engagement makes your suspension feel shittier.
    Yes, I'm not for or against just curious. I see a few people preferring the durability and less quick engagement on the dt hubs(especially the bigger guys). I haven't looked into weights of them ,or even others for that matter. Was that the weight for the new CNC'd hub bodies? I'll look them up if you dont have them on hand

OP,
    Either leave it the way it is or just buy a new wheelset.
    If you were just upgrading from a 350 18T to a 350 54T, I'd say it's definitely worth the $100 (or less for cheap knock off). But to put all that time and effort into your 370s? Seems like the wheelset is only worth about that much, unless for some retarded reason you've got carbon hoops on there.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Yes, I'm not for or against just curious. I see a few people preferring the durability and less quick engagement on the dt hubs(especially the bigger guys). I haven't looked into weights of them ,or even others for that matter. Was that the weight for the new CNC'd hub bodies? I'll look them up if you dont have them on hand

I'm not sure about the weight on the new onyxs. I saw something saying they saved a bunch of weight switching from steel to aluminum freehub bodies, but the 440g one on their website has an aluminum XD driver.

From what I have read they developed a machine process which allows them to eliminate a bunch of material and the pinch bolt from the end caps. They have also figured out how to use 1.5 spray clutches in stead of 2. They say older hubs will be able to be retrofitted.

In a different press release I have read that they have also changed their free hub engagement design to work with DT Swiss Star ratchet freehubs, thus having an Shimano 12 speed option. They are also producing their own free hubs as well.
    The claimed weight reduction is almost acceptable. They claimed on a 142x12 is currently 414g (must be without a freehub) and is the reduced weight model has a target weight of 320g.

To put it in perspective here are some actual weights of most of the popular hubs:
    Onyx 142x12 XD = 461g
    Chris King 142x12 XD Steel Freehub = 352g
    Hope Pro 2 EVO 142x12 XD = 294g
    Industry Nine 142x12 XD = 273g
    DT Swiss 350 Hub, 142x12 HG, 142x12, 6-bolt, Straight Pull = 275g
    Shimano XTR Centerlock Hub 142x12 = 269g
    DT Swiss 240 Centerlock 148x12 XD 28h = 219g