Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: New ACL

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    How'd it go?
    I waited until Thursday the 9th to break in my knee, wanted easy conditions. Ortho said my knee felt strong enuf for no brace, he wasn't suggesting braces as much anymore, depending on the patient of course. Was stiff at first being over protective, felt great, got to the point where I was venturing to ungroomed for a softer turn. Still want to avoid deep snow until I get a few more days and strength back

Just saw this thread.... a few comments about ACL repair in general.
    1) Choice of graft is still mostly surgeon dependent. It seems possible that the strength of repair options may be patellar tendon > hamstring autograft > cadaver allograft, but the absolute risk of re-rupture is low enough for all the graft choices that the side effect profile of the graft harvest is probably just as important. The risks of chronic anterior knee pain with BTB patellar tendon harvest and lifelong small but measurable hamstring weakness with semi-T autograft harvest should be discussed with your surgeon.
    2) Patient demographics matter. At least where I work, if you are younger, male, or pushing it harder, the surgeons often opt for a hamstring autograft. If you are older, female (women tend to have smaller hamstrings that are less ideal for ACL repair), or not pushing it, they will often steer you towards cadaver allograft. If you are over 40-50 yo and not pushing it at all, they will likely recommend not repairing the ACL.
    3) Concomitant injuries matter. If you have a significant meniscal injury and/or MCL tear in addition to your ACL, your level of pain/instability will be greater than someone with an isolated ACL injury. Your rehab will be slower and harder too.
    4) Do your PT! Control your swelling or you won’t get your range of motion back. Use a custom knee brace if you are going to ski within the first year of your repair.

I had mine repaired in Oct 2018, along with my MCL and lateral meniscus. I was having a midlife crisis period and skied on it more than I should have in 2019.
    If you can, hold off for one season! If you can’t... well, I hope your season looks something like this.

My surgeon, a skier with kids who race, doesn't recommend knee braces much anymore. Luckily I didn't have any meniscus damage and stayed strong thru rehab. Skied 5 times so far, no pain, no brace just mental in not trusting it. Skiing more aggressively than I should I'm sure but without pain

Crushed my final strength test last week and got back on the slopes for the first time this weekend. A little past the 8.5 month post-op mark, and have been working really hard on getting into solid ski shape lately. I ended up getting a Don Joy brace from the Doc and rocked it on the mountain. It felt good, not too restrictive or anything, and was definitely nice to have as a confidence boost mentally. The majority of my runs consisted of riding the lower mountain lifts, just cruising around the greens. There was about an inch of new snow on top of fresh corduroy and I had the goofiest smile on my face. I took it very easy overall, skied for about 3 hours, slow and cautious but stoked to be back in action!
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    Crushed my final strength test last week and got back on the slopes for the first time this weekend. A little past the 8.5 month post-op mark, and have been working really hard on getting into solid ski shape lately. I ended up getting a Don Joy brace from the Doc and rocked it on the mountain. It felt good, not too restrictive or anything, and was definitely nice to have as a confidence boost mentally. The majority of my runs consisted of riding the lower mountain lifts, just cruising around the greens. There was about an inch of new snow on top of fresh corduroy and I had the goofiest smile on my face. I took it very easy overall, skied for about 3 hours, slow and cautious but stoked to be back in action!
    Right on, man. I remember the same feeling when I started skiing 8 months after surgery, just being happy af to be skiing groomers and be on the mountain. I still think that in a weird way the whole injury gave me a renewed appreciation for skiing that lasts to this day. Like anything, when it gets taken away, you realize how much it meant to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Just saw this thread.... a few comments about ACL repair in general.
    Agree with pretty much everything you said in this post. I tore mine on my 50th bday in the terrain park. Doh! The surgeon recommended hamstring for me, that was his favorite graft to do, and for me the appeal was minimizing the chances of arthritis and achy knees later in life. But no question it comes at a cost in hamstring strength down the line. Doesn't stop me from doing anything, but I do notice it. Still, I feel lucky regarding the outcome as a whole. Enjoyed your video too, that was cool.

Congrats Boosh!
    watch out for snakes

Congrats you guys. In your honor I started a hip thread.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I had 10 weeks to heal up and strengthen from injury to surgery. I averaged 4, nine hole rounds of golf a week to strength up the knee and leg before surgery.
    My first post-op is in 2 weeks
    Sounds like you may have done more damage than I did.
    Heal up good my friend
    How did you know you did it? Other than the doctor visit.
    I slipped on some ice the other night and caught myself with my left leg. At the time it just felt tight, like as if I was touching my toes. Later that night it started to feel uncomfortable, but that was it. The next day it was very difficult and painful lift my leg up with the knee bent at all. Like to put shoes on, pants on, etc. Weighting it while bent (like to sit on the toilet, kneel on the opposite leg)) was also very painful.Walking was fine except for bending the leg for stairs. Walked the dogs and it started to feel better. Sitting on the bed I casually reached behind the knee and massaged the pocket behind the outside of the knee. That sent me through the roof. Two days later it was feeling a little better so I tried to ski. Inexplicably I chose a tour up Tallac to check it out and see how it was. It did well until the lower portion where it had started to refreeze. So it's been a week since then and it is starting to feel better. Today I was able to get out of bed without pain and get off the toilet without pain, and without pushing up off the seat.
    So I'm torn between damage to the LCL, ACL, or some tendon. Any ideas?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.