Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New ACL

That does look reasonably good, considering...
    You might want to think about getting your legs out in the sun for a bit

Just got about 2 weeks of golf in shorts before surgery. I gots the best golfer/farmer tan mid summer

Joined this club on May 8th. Went with a bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft with a bit of meniscus trim for an appetizer. My doc feels the patellar option gives the strongest connection points, most realistic "feel," and quickest recovery as long as you are active with the PT. Off the Oxy for three days now, so the words and shit are starting to flow. Walking (not really comfortably, but walking) without crutches as of today (7 days out). Doc warned me that at 6 weeks the bone connection points will be super solid, but the new ACL will not be; that's when people typically start feeling good and rupture it again.

My severed ACL looks like a sea creature that never sees light:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creature.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	282728

New ACL made from the middle section of my patellar tendon:

Name:	fresh_acl.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1,000.5 KB 
ID:	282729

MRI of my meniscus showing "shredded" areas:
    Name:  meniscus.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  169.2 KB

Mini-clipper device called the "toilet seat" trimming the meniscus (video was epic):

Name:	toiletseat.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	978.3 KB 
ID:	282732
    Last edited by gregL; 05-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Today is 3 weeks outta surgery. I feel like I can put about 3/4 weight on it, no major pain, just tension from everything going back to normal distances. Using a Tylenol and an IB daily but nothing else.
    Got my flexion to 104 degrees, up from 95 in 2 days.

Reading others experiences about not getting a full recovery because they got lazy with the PT, has motivated me.
    My old bod was hanging tough at 53, so I really can't let it go downhill now. I ain't the most exercise oriented guy here so it's a challenge.
    The muscle atrophy may be one of the biggest hurdles. I sat around for 2 1/2 weeks prior to surgery trying not to worsen the out-of-place meniscus. Most was saved so hopefully it helped there.

Scars are healing nicely and pain only really comes with the stretching. But then it mostly disappears and I get a little adrenaline bump for an hour or two.

Feeling real positive at the moment and hoping for a recovery more solid than I might have expected early on.

How's it going for you K2? GregL? Mofro went in today, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Today is 3 weeks outta surgery. I feel like I can put about 3/4 weight on it, no major pain, just tension from everything going back to normal distances. Using a Tylenol and an IB daily but nothing else.
    Got my flexion to 104 degrees, up from 95 in 2 days.

Reading others experiences about not getting a full recovery because they got lazy with the PT, has motivated me.
    My old bod was hanging tough at 53, so I really can't let it go downhill now. I ain't the most exercise oriented guy here so it's a challenge.
    The muscle atrophy may be one of the biggest hurdles. I sat around for 2 1/2 weeks prior to surgery trying not to worsen the out-of-place meniscus. Most was saved so hopefully it helped there.

Scars are healing nicely and pain only really comes with the stretching. But then it mostly disappears and I get a little adrenaline bump for an hour or two.

Feeling real positive at the moment and hoping for a recovery more solid than I might have expected early on.

How's it going for you K2? GregL? Mofro went in today, right?

Glad to hear Djongo, sort of key to hit the rehab solid, but like gregL said not overly aggressive.

Woozy AF at yhe moment so my phone typing sucks, but doc ended up going with bpb tendon graft instead of quadtrendon. I think the scar tissue clean up was a little more extensive than anticipated , that knee hadnt been scoped in 30yrs. Kinda sucks it hurts more right now than when it happened or the next 20 days still skiing on it bustered.

I started hitting my rehab prog as soon as I returned from euroland, at least 30-45 spinning along with closed chain strenghening exercises. Damn if I was this strong again when it happened it proabanly wouldbt have happened and my season wouldnt have ended 5 days shy of triple digits but such is life. I woke up and told them I could flex the quad still, and the doc asked me not to so ima kick back with the oxy and try to get the surgical trauma to heal before I start up again. See doc day 5 because doc always goes fishin in AK with his kid over Memorial.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Mofro - good to hear you're out, up and at 'em.

I'm def tiptoeing with the rehab. As much as I want it to be normal, I'm not hurrying it for sure. I decided the PT sessions were better for me than being on my own recognizance with the homework so I upped it from 2 days a week to three.
    For the first 3 days I just dosed up and lounged, hoping any pain would pass, mostly unnoticed. Which it did...

New ACL

Both you guys heal up strong, you have many seasons of kicking my ass left to perform...

^What he said... T-minus six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Glad to hear Djongo, sort of key to hit the rehab solid, but like gregL said not overly aggressive.

Woozy AF at yhe moment so my phone typing sucks, but doc ended up going with bpb tendon graft instead of quadtrendon. I think the scar tissue clean up was a little more extensive than anticipated , that knee hadnt been scoped in 30yrs. Kinda sucks it hurts more right now than when it happened or the next 20 days still skiing on it bustered.

I started hitting my rehab prog as soon as I returned from euroland, at least 30-45 spinning along with closed chain strenghening exercises. Damn if I was this strong again when it happened it proabanly wouldbt have happened and my season wouldnt have ended 5 days shy of triple digits but such is life. I woke up and told them I could flex the quad still, and the doc asked me not to so ima kick back with the oxy and try to get the surgical trauma to heal before I start up again. See doc day 5 because doc always goes fishin in AK with his kid over Memorial.

missed this earlier, i guess. get well soon!

Glad you all are on the mend...!

2 weeks yesterday. I did too much the first week, now I think I may have dialed it back too much

Monday I get to find out what the doc says.

Still quite a bit swollen. Started walking without crutches for small distances 1.5 weeks after. Mainly using 1 crutch and that's working well.

Today is my first day off opioids, 9 days oxy 5 days hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I started hitting my rehab prog as soon as I returned from euroland, at least 30-45 spinning along with closed chain strenghening exercises.
    Yah, my doc insisted on getting strong enough that you start thinking "maybe I don't need surgery" before he cut. I did 3-a-days on the stationary bike right up until the morning of the surgery. He takes a pretty aggressive approach - BC skier, bike racer, former head physician for the Chargers - and works with an equally agressive but sensible PT crew.

We'll see how it goes, but 12 days out I'm walking pretty well without crutches and the brace locked at 30 degrees, will try the bike tomorrow but I doubt I'll be able to get the crank all the way around over the top.

17 days after surgery, my first post-op. -5* full extension, but 100% extension achieved with supporting heel and quad flex. Flexation at 110* without straining.
    Doc said for a 57 yo fucker I had excellent cartilage and was impressed with my flexation

24 days out from surgery. PT on M-W-F and got 95*,104*, and 111* increases in flexion and probably 3-5* from full flatout. Pedal almost went over the top today, they keep teasing me cuz it usually kind of freaks people out.

3 times a week for an hour, massage muscles then tweak to max distance before pain sets in. Never hurts more than 3/10. Then an adrenaline up...

Hardly take any meds, even IB's.

Using the sportsbrace when out and about.
    Can't quite go it alone weight bearing so using crutches/walker, and single crutching a little. Feels like the sensations come back noticeably more each day and confidence in the knee grows.

Unlike some of you I didn't keep my legs in shape between wreckage and surg. Although my good leg has been getting a workout. Otoh, my legs were as strong as they were gonna be when this happened.

I feel good about the progress to time and pain ratio.

Some good advice I received was to not compare my pace with anyone else's. Each of our experiences is unique with some similarities.

It snowed here an inch today. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Yah, my doc insisted on getting strong enough that you start thinking "maybe I don't need surgery" before he cut. I did 3-a-days on the stationary bike right up until the morning of the surgery. He takes a pretty aggressive approach - BC skier, bike racer, former head physician for the Chargers - and works with an equally agressive but sensible PT crew.

We'll see how it goes, but 12 days out I'm walking pretty well without crutches and the brace locked at 30 degrees, will try the bike tomorrow but I doubt I'll be able to get the crank all the way around over the top.
    Damn, all the best Greg.
    You need roughly 100-120 degrees of flexion for riding a bike. But if your PT has a stationary bike where you can shorten the pedals you can get on that earlier. (W shorten i mean the distance from pedal to axle).

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Damn, all the best Greg.
    You need roughly 100-120 degrees of flexion for riding a bike. But if your PT has a stationary bike where you can shorten the pedals you can get on that earlier. (W shorten i mean the distance from pedal to axle).
    Managed to get the crank over a few times yesterday - old hardtail MTB on one of my son's trainers. Not smooth or effortless by any means, but it's a start. My regular 170mm cranks but seat height is 1.5cm lower than my road position.

Good luck on the recovery. Listen to your PT and you will be back next season.

I tore both of my ACLs on Mt. Hood so I feel your pain.

Some good advice I received was to not compare my pace with anyone else's. Each of our experiences is unique with some similarities.
    So true. I never felt like my recovery was on the speedy side compared to others. Then about 2-3 months in I started having weird, shooting nerve pain in my knee when weighted--not every step, like 1 out of 10 but enough that I was always in fear of it. Both my doctor and PT seemed somewhat unsure what was causing the pain. They never said anything like "Oh everybody goes through this" so I knew it was unusual. Just the looks on their faces told me that. But the pain was real and when it came it hurt like hell, like made me gasp.

Just had to deal with it though. My chiropractor is trained in ART and he massaged the nerve entrapments all up and down my leg to loosen up the nerves and ease the irritation--that helped a ton. My PT was awesome with soft tissue work as well and her massaging helped, plus she worked wonders with K-Tape and that really helped support and keep weight off the knee for a few weeks when it was bad. Eventually it just went away. Huge relief. I definitely remember some down days wondering why this shooting nerve pain was happening to me but not to other people. Just took time to heal.

Hey all, thanks for the stories and tips, there's some great info on here - joined the club after a couple spills and one gnarly tomahawk out in Revy in Feb. Doc back home on the east coast confirmed it was torn beginning of March, I was lucky to be strong enough to cruise groomers so he gave me the green light to take it easy and finish out the season.

Went in for surgery last Weds. 5/15, was off the narcs by Sunday and have been taking only asprin and CBD oil since. First PT sesh was Saturday, second one this morning (Tues.) - swelling has gone down significantly, and I've got about 100* ROM so far. Been able to put some weight on the leg with crutches as an aid, feeling pretty good for ~1 week out. PT mentioned they might try to get me on a stationary bike on Friday if all goes well at the post-op follow up tomorrow.

Sending positive vibes out to you all, hope everyone heals up well and gets back in action by next season.

My doc has me doing home/self PT for the first month then sending me to an actual Physical Therapist, 4 weeks post op.

My Ortho guy works at the Meadows clinic, and specializes in sports, and had good recs from other skiers. Odd that most others are getting a PT so early, (my son had the same surgeon do an ACL in 2014, skis like a champ now).

Question for those doing PT by week 2; what kinds of exercises are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Question for those doing PT by week 2; what kinds of exercises are you doing?
    Today was 14 days post surgery and I saw my PT this morning.

Session involved several stretching exercises for the hamstrings and various walking exercises, including balancing drills on one leg. As my doc and therapist explain it, the joint is plenty strong vertically but not strong rotationally or with a lateral stress on it. Also did some time on the stationary bike. Amazingly the repaired knee felt really good during some of the one-legged balance exercises.

Also got the OK to go without the Donjoy lockable brace unless I'm in a crowd (or on my feet for a long time and get tired). Entire session today was without brace (last week was mostly with brace on). PT stressed not hyper-extending the joint (or forcing flexion past about 110 degrees) and not putting rotational force on the repaired knee.

My PT started 5 days after surgery. It was not intense but did help me get the ball rolling. The ladies took it easy on me and in retrospect, that first week might have been premature. Not due to pain but that my leg in it's entirety, didn't fully reawaken for another week.
    Now I feel improvements almost daily: more stable, less sore, more flexy, etc.
    Don't feel like I'm racing along but plenty quick enough. I think my downtime from accident to surg was a negative. The leg atrophy is amazing. Not totally gone but damn; Sore from disuse...becoming my #1 impediment but working thru it.

My PT started 5 days after surgery. It was not intense but did help me get the ball rolling. The ladies took it easy on me and in retrospect, that first week might have been premature.
    My first PT session was 7 days post-op, and was also pretty mellow, though it sort of blew me away they had me walk without the brace.

For me it is more about setting guidelines at each stage: "Go ahead and put all your weight on it" "Keep every thing linear when you do this" "Don't bend past XX degrees for now" and explaining why. Doc said the PT timeline is very specific to the procedure(s) performed, they might well have gone slower if I'd had more or different things done.

My surgeon literally had me in PT the day after surgery. That was his thing. Not sure it was necessary, although it did give me some moral support just to talk to the PT. She kind of moved the knee around, did some flexion tests, I think she might have changed my bandage? Can't recall, I was pretty fogged out. She made encouraging noises and that seemed to help.

Yeah the atrophy is astounding. 30+ years of climbing and skiing and hiking just melts away, it's not fair. I had like a month delay before surgery (long story but I initially went to not the right place for treatment), but in retrospect I think surgery right away makes more sense simply because less time to atrophy. It's not always possible though.

Anyway, vibes to you guys, keep on truckin'.

Thanks for the replies.
    My home PT is pretty much the same thing. Easy moving, stretching and mild strengthening.
    I was walking without my brace about 9 days after, easily (ish) walking without brace now, 20 days after. Improvements keep me motivated.
    I told my doc my goal was to be playing a mellow game of golf by the end of August and to be skiing by 1-1-20. He said if I keep up my PT, that it was a realistic goal. Fingers crossed!!!