Electronic Geeks

We've got a dead Bose Wave AWRC-1G ... left on the porch, caught some rain, dried out and still nothing, not a sound, not a crackle, not a light. It's been sitting for a year now. I've been looking for projects, being on an injured list, and figured "I got this.."

First I thought for sure it would be the internal fuse, and even ordered one before checking... but that checks out as being good according to a multimeter which I discovered I actually had...

I cleaned the circuit board with vinegar..maybe need to clean again but it looks ok...read about using baking power also..

I checked the "Billion" transformer #193372. ...the service manual specs found online for this Bose reads like a foreign language....total electronic geek shit....can anyone just tell me what voltage I should be reading at the output leads of this transformer??

Of the 3 pairs of wires, purple, blue, and black I get 5.3V, 11.6V, and 21.6V respectively

Another test (and the reason I'm not confident that the transformer is good) was to disconnect the transformer entirely and check the lead pairs in the ohms setting and got 3 ohms, plus or minus, on all but the pair that had produced 21.6 volts (the black pair)....on that pair the reading was 12.6 ohms.....I read in a search somewhere that a transformer ( I think this was in general my eyes and mind were going batty from all the searches ) shouldn't read anything over 10 ohms when using that kind of test...I could have misinterpreted this.

Yet another test done in the ohms setting (which maybe I should not have done, and may have misinterpreted the method), is I kept the transformer plugged to it's AC voltage jack but disconnected the outgoing leads.....there was a reduction in power the same as before of plus or minus 3 ohms, EXCEPT for the leads that in the other test that gave out the 21.6 volts.....in this test the reading was a negative number of -20 or something like that..and I think the meter was blinking and shit..

I don't want to buy a $30 transformer if not necessary...throwing parts at it till the problem found scenario...

Any geeks here do this stuff??

if it helps I can post the service manual so you can geek out for real..

many thanks
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Been there, done that. I messed around with a Bose system that wasn’t working, bought random parts online, went into a Bose store, talked w their online tech reps...all to result in a failure. Finally gave up and sent the thing into Bose repair. If I remember they charge a flat fee, a month later it was shipped back, working perfectly.

If I had to do it again, I’d just send it in from the start.

you were measuring resistance on the secondary coils, with the primary powered on or just plugged into the board? pic would help

the primary was powered on when I got the - 20 number in the ohms scale....in case it's not clear, I don't know what I'm doing but learn faster by doing dumb shit..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3836[1].jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	281232

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3840[1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	281234

and I hear ya, habituallybored guy ...def out of my league here but refuse to believe it's magic...until I give up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3844[1].jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	281233  

so we dont do ohms on lines with voltage.

we DO want to use the ohms test to determine if the primary is shorted to any of the secondary, so one probe on either 110v/primary line and the other probe on all 8 secondaries. we want over limit or infinite or its shorted.

[QUOTE=Todd Zander;5664530]so we dont do ohms on lines with voltage.

QUOTE]
    exactly...this is the dumb shit I was talking about..

thanks for taking an interest, I'll be back..... :-)

Dude? You ok? Do I need to call Sprite?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Dude? You ok? Do I need to call Sprite?
    I'm working on my ohms, bitch..
    this thing is going back in the line up....excellent base out of these things
    (I'd blame the oxys but I've run out)

Carry on
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime