"Around the Rock" - Biking Around the Tetons

So - I have a goal this summer. Get super fit. I'm not necessarily out of shape - just want to get in better shape... One of the sub-goals of this is then to complete the "Around the Rock" loop.

I've been trying to find some information on this - approx 150 miles bike loop around the teton range, but info is limited. Starting from Jackson, ending in Jackson, going clockwise is probably my preferred route... That said, I have a lot of training to do before I can make that happen, and probably some preparation based on the fact that you are pretty far out there once up on the north side of the park if something were to happen.

Does anyone have any experience with that ride specifically, or other advice from 150mi unsupported gravel/road rides?

It may be as simple as get in really good shape, get your rig and gear dialed, and go for it... I don't know. Just hoping to hear what people have to say.

Anyone want to do it with me?

I'll be riding 1x11 Specialized Diverge. Tubes currently, wondering if I should go tubeless and then bring tubes for punctures... obviously water and food I'll need to figure out, although I'm not opposed to stopping for a break in Driggs, Signal Mountain, etc... I think my biggest concern is the climb at teton pass, not sure I have the low gears or legs (yet) for it. Again, training for that will shed some light on it for me.

Any thoughts? Just curious what people have to say about this ride specifically, or other 150mi mixed riding experiences?
    Last edited by gointhedistance; 05-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

I remember the Grassy Lake /Ashton-Flagg Ranch Road being rather unremitting in its boringness.

I haven't done that ride, and was more of a roadie a few years back, but worked my way up to a couple centuries.

Obviously the short rides around JH are a great place to start, down to Game Creek, out to the Village, etc. I headed out to Kelly and did the Antelope Flats loop and got the fuck scared out of me riding next to bison. Then the Moose Wilson road Village loop.

I'd also recommend coming over to the bright side for some rides, do the Cedron Loop and add climbs up some of the dirt roads heading up in to the Bigholes, especially like up to Packsaddle Lake. Bring a boat and bike commute the shuttle on the Teton...

I'd want bear spray pretty handy on the Grassy Lake Road...
    Great goal, good luck!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

So, I live here, did it last year, but did a variant where we rode around the Rock to Wilson, then camped there, and rode around the Block, through Alpine, Swan Valley and then home. Did it fully loaded, self-supported on a Kona Sutra LTD (stock build).

IDK, I'm pretty new to drop bar riding, and it was my first century, but it wasn't bad at all. It's pretty flat (other than the pass, obviously) and the gravel parts are pretty mellow. The absolute worst part is all the road riding once you get into Grand Teton National Park, it's all flat, or slightly uphill, with a guaranteed headwind and stupid traffic. Never riding it again for that reason.

Go tubeless for sure, just one less thing to worry about. I'm a big fan of a frame bag full of food and water. There are plenty of places to stop and get snacks, so don't worry about carrying a day's worth of food. I always get a hankering for Chelada halfway through a long ride, and that's easily met.

The pass is totally doable on 1x11. It is harder psychologically than physically IMO. Don't drink too many beers at the Coach before you head up. (and make sure to take old pass road on the way up.

I dunno, I get why it's iconic, I get why people do it, but it's a lot of traffic, a lot of flat road riding, and some nice views. Personally, there's a bunch of mixed routes in the Big Holes, or in Island Park that are way more fun and interesting, with way less traffic.

Feel free to holler with any other questions or for more beta!

^ Good info so far... thanks guys!

I guess I want to do it for the sake of saying I've done it... ? I don't know. Going clockwise, it's a lot of downhill once coming south in the park, which I'm in favor of to close the ride out. Get the pass over with at the beginning. I'm one for the views in the park, and am thinking if I time it right, get through the park near dusk and get a sweet sunset view of the teets... could do that anytime, but worth it after a long day of peddling.

Solid beta so far! I appreciate it.
    Anyone else with anything to add?
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

I’m doing it, but the two day easy version (camping with the family at Flagg Ranch). Might start in Jh and get the pass over with at 5:00 am just because.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So, big rides are a good excuse for...a new bike!

Today's project

Bunch of upgrades to do over the weekend.
    Should be a fun bike...

I attempted it last year. Made it from Victor to the dam which was about 95 miles. Was in decent shape but hadn't really trained for it. I was on a road bike with skinny tires figuring that most of the ride was on pavement and I could just struggle through the gravel section. I was wrong and the gravel section was absolutely soul crushing. I'll make another go at it when I have a gravel/touring bike that will take a wider tire. New bike isn't on the cards for this summer but will do the around the block at some point this summer.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Ha! Never even thought of riding a bike around the rock. Used to drive around plenty though.

some tips: The gravel section is pretty far, always seems to go longer than you expect.
    - Heading north to south in the park, Pray for no headwind, it can be horrendous.
    - Fucktons of traffic, not crazy yet but soon...
    - Def a few climbing sections in the middle of the ashton/flagg stretch.
    - Mind the car and truck traffic on the dirt sections, most won't expect to see you.
    - being in the park after the sun gets behind, can get cool quick.
    - Waaay back in the mid 90's I'd ride up Shadow mountain and rocket down for a good training lap. One of the better places to be away from much traffic.

Loaded for bear (actually, I have no room for bear spray)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

That strap on the top tube above the 'T' could easily hold a bear spray holster. Have fun!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

A Revelate Feedbag might do the trick coupled with one of those bottle-shaped bear spray holders. I rode with said bag this weekend and while it wasn't great for water bottles because they were hard to put back into the bag, pulling them out was extremely easy.

That thermos is for shooting out 8 sided dice right?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It’s for my coca tea.

Coca tea?

Bru.........we need to talk. I've got way too much sensation in my face these days. We gotta do something about that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp