Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Because kids shouldn't be on expensive mountain bikes.

All kids should start on a shitty $200 department store bike or used or hand me down special. Then get an okay bmx or bmx-type bike, then go from there. If said kid wants to get into mountain biking, then he/she can buy a decent bike when they get their first summer job.
    I think we've established that we are talking about kids that want to get into mountain biking...
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Well, seeing that mountain bikes are quite a bit more complicated than a basic BMX bike I can see some value in getting the kid something that's not as likely to suffer major failure when they're bombing a steep rocky train with some exposure. At the same time, they need to learn how to properly maintain and repair shit that breaks or rattles loose sometimes no matter how good the bike is to start with.

I remember throwing a chain one time bombing a pretty big hill on a bike that only had coaster brakes. There was a busy parkway coming up with heavy traffic and only I had a stop sign. I had to wreck my new Adidas to stop the bike before I ran out in to the certain doom.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPWDR View Post
    So here's another option, the Commencal "Ramones 24" ($449msrp)
    Attachment 281251
    https://www.commencalusa.com/ramones...19-c2x26304788

It's a rigid fork, but RST makes the Snyper, an air sprung 24" that many of the 'higher' end kids bikes come spec'd with and looks like you can finder for under $150
    http://rstsuspension.com/en/forks/junior-20-24/snyper

A possible solution...hmm.
    That Snyper is a waaay better fork than the one on the DB. I'm not sure how much more it weighs than the rigid, but you'll probably still save 3+ pounds over the DB. Drivetrain sucks though. Those 7sp setups usually use a threaded freewheel cassette, and the cranks have a fixed chainring. Changing the gearing will require a new rear hub and/or new cranks.

ETA: There's a slim possibility that it's a cassette hub since it's disc. 14-xx cogs usually means freewheel, but it's worth confirming. Also, where are you finding that Snyper available? Some quick Googling shows nothing. Not even bike-discount.de carries it and they're about the only place I know of that carries RST products.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Do you know how much does the charger weigh?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    Not off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-06-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks to cdubski for the great deal.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Specialized Riprock yet:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ri...=239718-128947

I got my two boys these bikes when they were 8 and 10 years old. Three years later and they're just about ready for something bigger. These bikes have been great, though. They upped their game the moment we got them. The only thing I have replaced is the rear derailleurs. Very satisfied.

Beyond my pay grade and not sure how much faith I’d have in it but he turned it into a sweet ride

https://www.facebook.com/thebikedads...76&v=e&sfns=mo

That's insane. Wow.

Bagtagley reminded me recently about the Cleary Scout. $840 for a very well spec'ed and sharp looking steel hardtail.

If you need/want a real kids full suspension bike the Norco Fluid 20 and 24 inchers are pretty sweet. Air sprung and decent parts, unfortunately they're a bit costly but as noted kids really do up their game when they're on a great bike.

Wow. Thanks need someone to donate me a carbon suspension frame!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Ended up going with a Diamondback Sync'r 24 (found a guy selling 2, so my buddy and I got them). Got a pretty fair price on them...not the ideal fork, but has a 1x11 setup and the bike is fairly light. If my 9 year old rips it to shreds...I'll bump her up to a full squish.

Thanks for all the input and ideas. Most of all stoked that we're getting our kids out there!
    Last edited by NorCalPWDR; 05-12-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPWDR View Post
    Most of all stoked that we're getting our kids out there!
    That's what it's all about. Pics!

Bump to note that Cannondale's Cujo line are pretty great mid-range bikes. Cujo 24 LTD sports hydro discs, 11-42 1x10, 2.6 tires and reportedly <24 lbs for $735. Only shitty part of these is they use a 25.4 seat tube so running a dropper isn't really an option.

So in conclusion:

Kids' bikes don't suck. Cheap kids' bikes suck.

Seems reasonable.

yeah...that's pretty accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So in conclusion:

Kids' bikes don't suck. Cheap kids' bikes suck.

Seems reasonable.

The dropper has been nice on our commencal meta jr 27.5 but this bike weighs close to 30. Setting it up tubeless as we speak. For brother who is on a 20 inch spawn and not growing as fast, we will split difference and get a 24 so good info in here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2801.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	282389