Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Why do 'kids' bikes suck? (aka anyone selling a decent 24"/26")

I’ve got a couple of 24” dark blue diamondback lines that my twin daughters have grown out of. 3 yrs old, In 80305. Dm if you’re interested.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    I’ve got a couple of 24” dark blue diamondback lines that my twin daughters have grown out of. 3 yrs old, In 80305. Dm if you’re interested.
    PMd you
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Getting the car worked on, saw this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0695.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	281192
    Maybe you can get them to throw in the trucoat.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Here's what I was riding at age 10. Weighs a ton but hella fun on the downhills.

Not the exact same bike I had back then, mine was full on 74 with a different seat and yellow forks. Came across a 75 and couldn't resist. It's in my shed now.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Not the exact same bike I had back then, mine was full on 74 with a different seat and yellow forks. Came across a 75 and couldn't resist. It's in my shed now.
    That thing is epic!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    If my kids were more aggressive rippers or rode a lot more like yours perhaps we would have gone a much different route.
    Admittedly, my perspective on this subject is fairly warped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Admittedly, my perspective on this subject is fairly warped.
    I think you might be right. NTTAWWT.

My kids got cheap shit and hand-me-downs... they still enjoyed riding when they were liddle.

Name:	fruita-kids.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	281200

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I think you might be right. NTTAWWT.

My kids got cheap shit and hand-me-downs... they still enjoyed riding when they were liddle.

Name:	fruita-kids.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	281200
    +1

Kids need to first learn how to make things happen with average or even a little sub average gear. Only then can they:
    A) Appreciate what a privilege it is to have really nice things
    B) Know how to adjust when stuff breaks or they find themselves on borrowed gear that might not be as nice as what they learned on.
    C) Just because my dad started me out on shit gear for just about every endeavor hahaha.

Only thing I know is my kid had a shit 16" bike. She could ride, and liked to ride sometimes. We got her a 16" Spawn, and she instantly was a better rider and like riding a lot more.

So yeah, kids will do "fine" on shit gear. But I know I enjoy riding on my 30lb bike a lot more than I would if my bike was 90lbs.

Dantheman, feel like you're the expert here on kids bikes (warped perspective or not), what's your opinion on those Diamondback Lines that cdubski mentioned? I know it's not exactly what I am looking for, they are heavier, but OTOH he's local and it's a workable bike. But I don't know more than that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+1

Kids need to first learn how to make things happen with average or even a little sub average gear. Only then can they:
    And they can get a job and buy that shit themselves. And if they don't want to do that... they can live with whatever they get.

+1

B) Know how to adjust when stuff breaks or they find themselves on borrowed gear that might not be as nice as what they learned on.
    C) Just because my dad started me out on shit gear for just about every endeavor hahaha.
    Heh. My father grew up in post WW2 western germany. They had squat after 2 big wars. He would find bits and pieces of bikes lying around and build their own. He brought that to the new world and applied it to all our bikes until my yardwork for seniors provided me with anough cash to go to the local macleods and buy a new one. i was so happy with that gravel runner. Some of the contraptions my father pieced together were works of art in their own right however. We rode the shit outa them on the old farm, and learned to keep them running despite all odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So yeah, kids will do "fine" on shit gear. But I know I enjoy riding on my 30lb bike a lot more than I would if my bike was 90lbs.
    I always wonder what the people balking at $1k for a kids bike have invested in their own bike(s). I'll bet that fairly often it's a lot more than $1k....

There's also a lot of chicken-or-egg syndrome going on here. My kid rides at the level he does in no small part because I sacrificed and bought him nice bikes that wouldn't hold him back. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Dantheman, feel like you're the expert here on kids bikes (warped perspective or not), what's your opinion on those Diamondback Lines that cdubski mentioned? I know it's not exactly what I am looking for, they are heavier, but OTOH he's local and it's a workable bike. But I don't know more than that.
    Since he said dark blue, I'm assuming this is the model he has: https://www.rei.com/product/113850/d...e-24-kids-bike

They're pretty solid even at the full retail price. 27 lbs isn't light but not ridiculous either. For comparison a YJ24 weighs about 24 lbs. Disc wheels and a cassette hub are nice to have as they make drivetrain/brake upgrades easy if that's something you're considering (or have a parts bin to raid). 155 mm cranks are short enough. 32x32 isn't a particularly easy climbing gear if that's important to you, though there is that new Microshift Advent group that's only $125 for a shifter, clutched RD and 11-42 cassette (https://www.microshift.com/en/introducing-advent/).

I always wonder what the people balking at $1k for a kids bike have invested in their own bike(s). I'll bet that fairly often it's a lot more than $1k....
    Quite a bit more, for sure.

There's also a lot of chicken-or-egg syndrome going on here. My kid rides at the level he does in no small part because I sacrificed and bought him nice bikes that wouldn't hold him back. Fact.
    No doubt. My kids can finance their own folly, if they so choose.

For the record, now that they are bigger - they got my old bikes. Oldest kid got my *really* old bike (2001 NRS) and the middle kid got my "just old" bike (2010 Reign). Youngest got my wife's old bike (2005 Trance).

Wife and I got new bikes.

I'm leaning towards the Line 24 or maybe the Timberjack 24...if my daughter just completely shreds it apart...I'll sell and bite the bullet on a FS.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...berjack_24_sus

https://www.diamondback.com/kids-bikes/line24-d42

The little shits won't know any better if we keep it that way.

Let em earn their keep (maybe not the most appropriate expression but you get the idea) the same way we did as kids.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPWDR View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Line 24 or maybe the Timberjack 24...if my daughter just completely shreds it apart...I'll sell and bite the bullet on a FS.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...berjack_24_sus

https://www.diamondback.com/kids-bikes/line24-d42
    I'd also consider Norco's 24" hardtails if there's a dealer nearby:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/youth/mo...inum/fluid-43/
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/youth/mo...um/charger-24/

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

Let em earn their keep (maybe not the most appropriate expression but you get the idea) the same way we did as kids.
    I know you're being sarcastic... but there's something to be said for this approach.

I mowed lawns for two summers all around the neighborhood, subbed for several friends' paper routes and other manual labor to save up the $175 that Yamaha Moto-bike cost. I bussed tables and slung tacos to earn the money for skateboard gear, my first car, and all the gas and repairs that came with owning a rusted out piece of shit 1970 Chevy Impala.

Good call on the Norco's...

I can get the Line 24 for about $400 (new/delivered) so I'm thinking that will hard to beat...

My wife is 5’2”; she’s selling this (we’re near Bend):

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	281213

Might fit a bigger kid?

It’s in good shape, hardly ridden. 26” wheels; I can’t find a size on the frame.

PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPWDR View Post
    I can get the Line 24 for about $400 (new/delivered) so I'm thinking that will hard to beat...
    Yeah, that's a solid buy.

I'm just a big softie who accepts steeze and "Are you fucking kidding me? What planet are these kids from?" comments from gawking bystanders as currency. His balance sheet looks pretty good lately
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.

So here's another option, the Commencal "Ramones 24" ($449msrp)
    Name:  19RAMONES24BG_280.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  24.5 KB
    https://www.commencalusa.com/ramones...19-c2x26304788

It's a rigid fork, but RST makes the Snyper, an air sprung 24" that many of the 'higher' end kids bikes come spec'd with and looks like you can finder for under $150
    http://rstsuspension.com/en/forks/junior-20-24/snyper

A possible solution...hmm.

I'm just a big softie who accepts steeze and "Are you fucking kidding me? What planet are these kids from?" comments from gawking bystanders as currency. His balance sheet looks pretty good lately
    What blew me away was how small he was, it makes it so much more impressive in person. You make a strong case for me ditching my stubborn old-man beliefs of 'earning their keep' and trying hard to get my kids on reasonable bikes in the future.

Do you know how much does the charger weigh?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:58 AM.