Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I'm not sure if grand junction counts as a sleeper, but fruita and moab get all the love. I think I almost like g.j. better.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm not sure if grand junction counts as a sleeper, but fruita and moab get all the love. I think I almost like g.j. better.
    To be honest, I've always lumped GJ into "Fruita"... and Lunch Loops is def not a "sleeper" - hasn't been for a decade or more.

There are some other GJ areas that could be considered "sleeper" I guess. If those are the ones you're referring to.

Believe it or not we have some really fun places to ride in central NJ, some right along the coastal waters with +/- 12 mi. of riding and it's not completely flat.

It ain't no Upstate NE, Rockies, etc, but you can hit the infamous Joisey Shoa afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Head a bit more south and I would say the riding around Montrose is sleeper worthy.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Head a bit more south and I would say the riding around Montrose is sleeper worthy.
    Would agree - like the RAT stuff?

Another sleeper would be the Oil Well Flats stuff near Canon City.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Rat trails down by Ridgway are pretty awesome... Pretty fast and pretty mellow so putting that out there now lest anyone ride it and be... disappointed.

But around Montrose proper? Sidewinder trail, and spring Creek/buzzard gulch and then more trails up on the uncompadre plateau as well
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

To be honest, I've always lumped GJ into "Fruita"... and Lunch Loops is def not a "sleeper" - hasn't been for a decade or more.

There are some other GJ areas that could be considered "sleeper" I guess. If those are the ones you're referring to.
    I guess I didn't mean so much that GJ is unknown, more that lots of people drive past it heading towards Fruita or Moab.

Careful...

I think you have to define what constituents a riding area. I say it has to have a minimum of 20+ miles of trails, minimum 10 mile non repetitive loops. One 10 mile loop does not cut it, that is just a lunch time/after work trail, not a riding area.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Careful...

If it has an official, permanent shitter at the trailhead, it’s not ‘sleeper’
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

FFTF ought to be called Fruita and Junction trails fest. Gonna be busy.

FFTF
    Thanks asshole! I was having a really good start to the season I'm calling "not winter" until you went and used the "festival" word. The thoughts of artistically created lattes and $50 truckers hats made be throw up in my mouth a bit. Don't forget your wallet and your WAG bags! I suppose I should festivals to my advantage and realize that it concentrates all these fun boys in one place. Think is would be a good weekend to stay up late, listen to metal and blow off fireworks out at 18rd?

Back to sleeper trails, yeah there are about a million miles of them. Some are in disrepair and covered in trees, some are about 50 miles from nowhere, some are really challenging, all most all are not on the internet.

The balance between trail maintenance, crowds, sustainability and enjoyment really is a challenge with mountain biking specially in the mountains. After a good snow year, many trails are rideable mid-June ish to mid-October if we are lucky. Visitor interest wanes after Labor Day and nobody wants to pay a use fee to ride.

You should go confirm that on a weekend in March. Half of the Front Range rides those trails now, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Thanks asshole! I was having a really good start to the season I'm calling "not winter" until you went and used the "festival" word. The thoughts of artistically created lattes and $50 truckers hats made be throw up in my mouth a bit. Don't forget your wallet and your WAG bags! I suppose I should festivals to my advantage and realize that it concentrates all these fun boys in one place. Think is would be a good weekend to stay up late, listen to metal and blow off fireworks out at 18rd?

I can never get enough of the #jadedlocal rage
    thanks for the entertainment allways saying what I want to say but don't

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You should go confirm that on a weekend in March. Half of the Front Range rides those trails now, unfortunately.
    Ah... the cat's out of the bag. Well - that's ostensibly what they wanted down there... at least maybe it makes Fruita less crowded on March weekends?

Hahaha. Who am I kidding?

Best "Sleeper" Riding Areas

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sleeper?
    I guess if you are riding while the rest of Seattle is sleeping.

Probably belongs in the gaper thread as I was gaper and decided last weekend that maybe I could camp out somewhere near Buffalow Creek at For.Rd. 5 50, scout a bit of that part of the CT and go fishing about 20 minutes away near Deckerz. LOL. What a scene. I haven't ridden true mtb trails in 20 years, so its awesome to see people getting out but what a fucking SCENE. Poor forest has to have NO CAMPING signs any place that there isn't a tree, or someone would camp there. We didn't see too many sprinters but we did see what I believe was an Earth Cruiser https://earthcruiser.com/ It said "matador" on the side though. Pretty cool rig.

1/2 of the trucks were geared up for awesome broverland adventure and are parked next to 1,000 other people 45 minutes from the biggest city in the rockies.

Why do you have to stare at every car that goes by? Its a fucking car. Ooooo! the wonders of being out in the WILD, staring at cars from my roof top tent.

I hope the riding back there kicks ass, seemed to attract a lot of riders, probably a proximity to Den thing; I'm hoping to do segment 2 and 3 CT this summer on foot for basically the same reason, its close.

Back in the day, in the early days of MTB, we had a place near Austin called Emma Long. I wonder what happened to that place. A little 5.5 mile loop close enough to a BBQ place. It was moto trails but hardly ever saw motos or anyone else. It was fairly challenging with lots of tall steps and drops. Most of the moto peeps I saw out there had trials set ups.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Back to sleeper trails, yeah there are about a million miles of them. Some are in disrepair and covered in trees, some are about 50 miles from nowhere, some are really challenging, all most all are not on the internet.
    The biggest threat to sleeper trails is Strava.

You think Buff Creek is a scene now? Go there when the campground is open. Now is just slightly busy. Soon Redskin Road will be a highway of rednecks going too fast, shooting guns, and turning on their light bars for 3am dirt road rallies.

The rant about people looking at your car while driving by is strange btw you sound like a 70 year old man. I was there the other day and saw more tent campers then overland rigs. Nice quiet night with none of the usual redneck bullshit, at least where I was camping (inside my pop top van lol).

Emma Long is still a motorcycle area with trials bike areas. Wish all bigger cities had something like that so easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    <snip>

I hope the riding back there kicks ass
    It's just "OK" IMO.

Some people really love it, though.

YMMV.

Oh - and do NOT do Section 3 of the CT on the weekend. Just avoid it...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You think Buff Creek is a scene now? Go there when the campground is open. Now is just slightly busy. Soon Redskin Road will be a highway of rednecks going too fast, shooting guns, and turning on their light bars for 3am dirt road rallies.

The rant about people looking at your car while driving by is strange btw you sound like a 70 year old man. I was there the other day and saw more tent campers then overland rigs. Nice quiet night with none of the usual redneck bullshit, at least where I was camping (inside my pop top van lol).

Emma Long is still a motorcycle area with trials bike areas. Wish all bigger cities had something like that so easily accessible.
    Hahaha! If you were there on Saturday, I'll bet I saw that van. As I turned onto the road, my trip turned from looking for a campsite into going up to the lake just to check it out. I'll admit the rant is weird, i'm prolly just being butthurt about not getting a site. And, yeah, lots of tents and hammocks; lots of room for bigger groups too. I wound up just south of there with a good spot. no creek though. Shooters quit around dusk.

Good to hear about Emma Long; had some good times trashing bikes back there. I remember my friend getting a true DH and taking it out there, got a picture of him jumping over a truck. Yeeee HaaaaW!!!

It's just "OK" IMO.

Some people really love it, though.

YMMV.

Oh - and do NOT do Section 3 of the CT on the weekend. Just avoid it...
    hahaha, yeah, looks like that might be a good idea, but that's probably exactly when I'll end up doing it.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

I have camped at the Buffalo CG a bunch, and it's a pretty quiet CG. Not sure why it being open leads to the mayhem you describe. Though the road to the CG is most definitely mayhem, I have no desire to camp there ever.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Always loved swinging off of 40 to hit the trails in Vernal, UT. The McCoy Flats Trail system a few miles West of town feels a lot like Fruita back in the late 90s before everything became single track and a half. Great camping out at the trailhead too, just cross your fingers the cattle haven't been out there

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Believe it or not we have some really fun places to ride in central NJ, some right along the coastal waters with +/- 12 mi. of riding and it's not completely flat.

It ain't no Upstate NE, Rockies, etc, but you can hit the infamous Joisey Shoa afterwards!
    Hartschorne Woods is supposed to be good. That jumps right off the beach and heads up the hill. Every year I say I'm going to get down there, this might just have to actually be that year.