Keystone/Dillon/Frisco/Breck Beta?

My girlfriend and I are traveling from SLC 5/28 for a conference for her work, staying in Keystone through Friday night, camping (Rec's needed!) Friday/Saturday, heading home Sunday. I'll be working remotely during the days, looking for MTB recommendations in the area/conditions report on snow levels/trail dryness, etc. Would also love Food and brewery/tap room recs.

Any must rides that will be dry that time of year?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

If you are in Breck, Angel’s Hollow has outstanding food, drink and atmosphere. We alway hit that when possible.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    My girlfriend and I are traveling from SLC 5/28 for a conference for her work, staying in Keystone through Friday night, camping (Rec's needed!) Friday/Saturday, heading home Sunday. I'll be working remotely during the days, looking for MTB recommendations in the area/conditions report on snow levels/trail dryness, etc. Would also love Food and brewery/tap room recs.

Any must rides that will be dry that time of year?
    Check back in three weeks. Right now everything in Summit is buried in snow and it'll be awhile. In a month some of the lower elevation trails close to town might be melted out. Closest dry riding currently is in Eagle.

Camping recs are also related to snow coverage. Most of the roads where dispersed camping is allowed are also buried in snow.

The ski mountaineering will probably be better than the riding.

What adrenalated said, mostly. Once the conference wraps up, head west. Hit Lee's in Avon for a *quality* fun time. Hit the Eagle goods - should be prime time 'round them parts. Camp around there or head even further down valley to Glenwood (Grandstaff *should* be open by then?), hit up the stuff up towards Basalt as well if time permits.

If you like IPAs, Out Range Brewery in Dillon is hard to beat.

Check out the Dam Brewery in Dillon. The Brewmaster is a Mag.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    If you like IPAs, Outer Range Brewery in Frisco is hard to beat.
    This. FIFY. https://www.outerrange.com/

I was biking this weekend on some south facing stuff that was dry.

A month from now? There are trails that will be dry then for sure. Probably Aqueduct/Soda Creek/Keystone Ranch, Rosetter, Black Cliffs, Oro Grande... easier stuff for sure...

You could ski in the morning, kayak midday and bike in the afternoon. Breck and A-Basin will be open plus BC lines.

Shoot me a PM closer to then. I can point you to some camping and some better trails that aren't on MTBproject.

Might have time for a ride.

Of all the breweries in the county, I like Angry James the most. Also Pugs, Compass, and Dam... but if you are an IPA freak, go to Outer Range
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    If you are in Breck, Angel’s Hollow has outstanding food, drink and atmosphere. We alway hit that when possible.

Is Lee still running it? Been a long time since I've been there, back when it was in Seamus's, but used to eat there a bunch. Hoping to get back to the area this summer, would love to finish a ride with a sammich the size of my arm and some good greasy fries, miss that stuff.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

If the pay campsites on the Dam road are open, that could be a good option if you reserve ahead of time. Short bike either direction to breweries. Dam, Pugs, Highside, AJs, Outer Range, Bakers.

Trails might still be shitty, head east could be an option. Centennial Cone from Clear Creek will probably be good. Only trails in Summit that will be dry won’t be much entertainment. Aqueduct, Oro Grande, Confrence Center. All pretty meh. A road bike would serve you better.

there will be plenty to ride at the end of may, I will personally guarantee you'll have a good time
    as for angles hollow, overrated, the place was good way back when you could pay the bartender, go to the bathroom a few minutes later and pick up your coke that was sitting on the top of the door trim

I don't have much to contribute other than I had a blast in Breck when I went at the end of June last year with a couple of buddies. We rode around Breck for a few days right from the village and did a day at Steamboat. Had a nice "down" day when we took the chair up, rode to Frisco, had a few beers at Outer Range, then took the bus back to the village.

Great free camping - Drive up route 6 towards keystone/Abasin, hop off the road on the right and drive towards montezuma. There's a dirt road on the left that drives west into the Montezuma basin and it has awesome camp spots.

there are some last resort free car camp spots north of Silverthorne I can direct you to if need be. Fishing available, next to a highway, fires allowed unless under county/USFS burn restrictions. I haven't been up there in a bit but even in winter, the area I'm talking about doesn't usually hold snow. Not glamorous and slightly far from your zone but I like having backups, cuz, well, its still camping, which I always see as an activity rewarding in itself.
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 04-30-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Looks like we'll bring the touring skis for a walk or two up the resort. think I'll also pack the fly rods just in case. Bikes will be brought and either hit eagle, glassier/buckhorn in carbondale, or just beat feat to Fruita Friday PM if the weather looks meh.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

<snip> or just beat feat to Fruita Friday PM
    lol

Go early on Friday... not in the PM. Otherwise... camping issues.

Looks like we'll bring the touring skis for a walk or two up the resort. think I'll also pack the fly rods just in case. Bikes will be brought and either hit eagle, glassier/buckhorn in carbondale, or just beat feat to Fruita Friday PM if the weather looks meh.
    Depending on when you're planning to ride, I'm happy to show you around in Eagle for a few hours. With this rain/snow, the trails will be absolutely primo by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Depending on when you're planning to ride, I'm happy to show you around in Eagle for a few hours. With this rain/snow, the trails will be absolutely primo by Friday.
    Will be in touch, that would be sweet. I have another offer to check out some pirate stuff closer to Denver Friday, but will depend on GF camping situation with her non-riding friends. We've got options.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Is Lee still running it? Been a long time since I've been there, back when it was in Seamus's, but used to eat there a bunch. Hoping to get back to the area this summer, would love to finish a ride with a sammich the size of my arm and some good greasy fries, miss that stuff.
    Yes, I understand he is.

Bumping for current conditions. I'll be leaving Greeley this Tuesday PM (when the daughter's UNC orientation ends) with the aim to hit a campsite near riding, then ride Wednesday AM before heading home to Los Alamos. Any of the fun stuff around Breck drying out, or did it snow again just a couple days ago? My backup plan is to just route through Fairplay and hit Sheep Creek, but I've done that a couple times already.

Keystone zone got 1-2" but it all melted below treeline (unless it fell on old snow). It will snow again tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

riding good in breck all over
    snow line is around 10,800 or just below tree line a bit
    low trails are dry with lots of options
    higher up trails have snow patches mud and water but it's not too bad at all, everyone is riding the shit out of them
    peaks trail on the breck side is no good, peaks trail frisco to gold hill is good
    west ridge probably ready late this week with lots of walking sections up top
    bakers tank no good, baldy mtn trails no good
    the problem with this place is there are too many trails too many options

Just wanted to circle back and thank you both, Summit & fastfred. UNC orientation went long and I didn't want to hunt for a campsite in the dark, so I headed down 285 where I'm more familiar with the options. But I do appreciate the reply, and plan to head back up to Summit Co. later this summer when I've got more time. Thanks!