Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Car Advice (Outback vs Tacoma vs Ridgeline vs ???)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's a corndog, that's also a milkshake, that's also a salad!

Attachment 281208

Finally, someone combined the silky smooth ride of a jeep, with half the space and comfort of a minivan, and 80% of a pickup bed!
    i’d not seen this so googled, this is prime
    https://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkl...-features.html

i’ve been looking at older tahoe’s, gx470, and whatnot but i think i that description may sway me. gonna sleep on it

Look, the Jeep brand knows that you’re mundane-fearing; that’s why the new Jeep Gladiator has been engineered to be anything but commonplace. The Jeep Gladiator is 100% Truck, 100% Jeep, and 100% original. You’re going to love its open-air experience that draws you into the adventure. Stop being a passive driver and get behind the wheel of a Gladiator instead.
    That’s like 300%!

YouTube “made” me watch an Edmunds.com vid that compared the Jeep truck with a canyon in light duty off-road stuff. I thought it was a fair assessment.

It's got a GoPro in the grill!

I had a 4 door Frontier long bed, which is basically the same as the Taco. Y'all who are saying it won't be enough space with kids, I don't get it. It's not hugely roomy, but it's just like a moderate sized sedan back there, adults can fit. So kids and their seats surely can.

The issues with the Frontier (same for the Taco) are terrible turning radius because it's so damn long and terrible gas mileage. But as a "car" it was fine inside. Parking is a bitch though, there isn't a parking lot out there that didn't require multiple moves to be parked straight.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I had a 4 door Frontier long bed, which is basically the same as the Taco. Y'all who are saying it won't be enough space with kids, I don't get it. It's not hugely roomy, but it's just like a moderate sized sedan back there, adults can fit. So kids and their seats surely can.
    The Tacoma has a high floor that makes the cab smaller than other trucks in its class. At 6'1" I have to have the seat farther back than in a full-sized truck because my legs are going more forward than down. And I can't comfortably sit in the back at all.

The taco is the best off-roader in its class (especially right off the showroom floor), but it's a terrible daily for a city dweller. Especially considering that the auto trans is programmed to lug the engine as much as possible, so it's changing "gears" a lot. Frankly, I wouldn't even consider owning a non-manual transmission taco.

I've never driven it, but am inclined to agree with the guys who recommended the Colorado for being a better all-rounder.

Ridgeline is just an Outback with a truck bed. It's AWD not 4WD. No low range. They are both unibody designs, not true offroader. Outback can go to a lot of trailheads if you know where to put those wheels, clearance is good, and you won't get stuck every time you hit mud/sand like a rear wheel drive, but you also aren't crawling up/down stuper steep shit, wheeling for the sake of wheeling. AWD is the best on-road snow vehicle drive system.

4Runner is a Tacoma set up like a SUV wagon instead of having a truck bed. Low range, 4WD, body on frame (with the attendant ride quality issues). Typically SUVs have higher safety ratings and more safety features than trucks.

Are you really going to do significant offroading in the family vehicle? Get it scratched and dented? Trail damage to your 2018? If that's fine, you need the 4Runner for kids. If you aren't, maybe you want a 2015 Outback 3.6 and an old jeep?

Load ratings... you planning on hauling truckbeds full of sheet rock for your home improvement projects? If just gear and people, then stop worrying about load ratings.

Our house has a 2015 4Runner and a 2015 Outback 3.6 and no kids. The Outback has more zip, better mileage (with a roof box than the T4R without one), smoother, creature comforts, better snow performance, and was cheaper. The 4Runner holds more stuff, offroads, and safer vs an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I’ve always put value in the ability to sleep on a flat surface in the vehicles that I have owned.

You will end up with a awd Sienna eventually if you have kids. It is a very useful appliance once you get over the whole minivan thing. The low,flat floor and sliding doors are nice with kids. We've done it all with ours... kids, dirt road camping, lumberyard/ landscaping duty, road trips, boat towing. The limitation is ground clearance... I have an older 100 series Landcruiser for that.

Not to mention taking all your friends and their shit out skiing. I always am the carpool driver with our Odyssey.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's a corndog, that's also a milkshake, that's also a salad!

Attachment 281208

Finally, someone combined the silky smooth ride of a jeep, with half the space and comfort of a minivan, and 80% of a pickup bed!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64867918.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	281387

I think the new subi forester is superior to the outback, if you're still looking at the outback. I have both in my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I think the new subi forester is superior to the outback, if you're still looking at the outback. I have both in my driveway.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Why?
    I guess I like the height of the interior and driving it better. I don't really drive either one, but if I did I'd pick the forester.

Thx. Headroom makes sense, I haven't really heard anyone prefer the Forrester for any other reason

Sorry for drift. What's the difference between the 4Runner and the Highlander? 4Runner a little bit bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Sorry for drift. What's the difference between the 4Runner and the Highlander? 4Runner a little bit bigger?
    the 4 runner is bigger, but the biggest difference (I believe) is that the Highlander is built on a car platform and the 4runner is built on a light truck platform.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm not even sure the 4Runner is bigger.

The Highlander will have way more interior space and has a 3rd row. It's not an offroader by any stretch of the imagination. But it's way more refined and better on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the 4 runner is bigger, but the biggest difference (I believe) is that the Highlander is built on a car platform and the 4runner is built on a light truck platform.
    What does platform mean? Better shocks for offroading on the 4Runner?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm not even sure the 4Runner is bigger.

The Highlander will have way more interior space and has a 3rd row. It's not an offroader by any stretch of the imagination. But it's way more refined and better on gas.
    We need interior space and won't be offroading much. Not towing anything. We need a glorified minivan. (I would just get a minivan but wife won't even discuss it.)

What does platform mean? Better shocks for offroading on the 4Runner?
    unibody vs body on chassis (frame)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

We need interior space and won't be offroading much. Not towing anything. We need a glorified minivan. (I would just get a minivan but wife won't even discuss it.)
    Then get a Highlander Hybrid and call it a day. Nothing else in its class comes close to its fuel economy. Well there's the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but I wouldn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Then get a Highlander Hybrid and call it a day. Nothing else in its class comes close to its fuel economy. Well there's the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but I wouldn't touch it.
    The Outlander is a little smaller with no third-row seating.

If you're after fuel economy in a glorified AWD minivan, most of the luxury European manufacturers offer plug-in hybrid 3 row SUVs. They're pricey, but they take a decent initial hit in depreciation. Volvo XC 90 T8 might be worth a spin if you can find one that meets your budget.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I expedited fat american skiers out of a BC hut in the Taco for a season

I thot 5 people fit pretty good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I bought a '19 Colorado ZR2. Been very very happy with it so far, though I haven't challenged it on rowdy 4x4-ing yet. Like the power, front attack angle, stock shocks/suspension package, driving comfort. I believe it's in the same class as the Taco and Ridgeline.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

<snip>(I would just get a minivan but wife won't even discuss it.)
    You need to get her into therapy to get over her minivan-phobic tendencies. After owning it for 30 days she'll be extolling the virtues of the minivan to all her friends.