Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    The differential locker can be very useful for anyone that spends a lot of time on backcountry mountain roads (or sandy beaches). I have used mine on the F150 several times and would have been shoveling without it. You can kid yourself all you want, but a traction control 4wd w/o a locker is a two wheel drive. At least I can put 2 in motion no matter what on the rear, it can definitely make a dicey situation doable. I think a lot of truck owners don't use them as trucks though and don't travel the type of roads some of us do.
    I agree. The rear locker on our F150 is *very* nice and has been useful numerous times.

I had an '81 f-150 and had that thing up some crazy stuff in the Missoula area..l.would have been awesome having a locking diff on it, not too hard to install one, but never got around to it because it took enough of my time just keeping it running :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I had an '81 f-150 and had that thing up some crazy stuff in the Missoula area..l.would have been awesome having a locking diff on it, not too hard to install one, but never got around to it because it took enough of my time just keeping it running :-)
    Yeah, many of those 80s trucks were the suck. Although I had an 87 Ranger I liked a lot even though it was a rust bucket. Got me through grad school and numerous trips to Southern Utah to hang out with my daughters on desert adventures. I was sad to let that one go.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Beware -- if you end up having two kids who are both still in car seats at the same time, Taco ain't going to cut it -- even the double cab. My buddy sold his for a Tundra when number two was coming along.

Will say I love when he drives to skiing or mtbing in that thing. Plush AF.
    Disagree. I've had two car seats of various types (one is now just a booster) in my 2014 double cab Taco since I bought it. No issues at all. I guess we are relatively short because I also find the backseat to be perfectly acceptable for adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Sienna + taco would be a great combo if your daily commutes are short(ish).
    This. We are trading in wife's Honda Fit (haha) for a Sienna shortly, to go with the Taco. But our commutes are less than 2 miles each.

Which vehicle has best WiFi and connectivity?

Location check-ins for your social accounts are crucial.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw9qaj7n...d=hpm5ylcscrea

According to a lot of the comments, this is what you get when you drive a Honda Ridgeline

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Outback is still in the running, and I have pondered the roof box option. I've also already got roof carriers for skis and bikes already on my WRX, so those could transfer right over.

This would be one of two cars in our house. Right now my fiancee drives a Mazda 3 that she's had for close to 7 years now, but she's going to be looking at a crossover or small SUV for her next ride. Between the two of us, my vehicle would most likely be the hauler for long trips/recreation, and hers would be her daily driver. We want to be able to put car seats in either vehicle though, thus me looking at double cab pickups. Ironically, she now says if I don't decide to get the outback she's putting it on her list of future potential vehicles...
    I would look at more separation between the two cars. Think of one as your big-ass shit hauler and the other as your around-town grocery getter that gets great MPG and can still fit car seats and a load of groceries.

We have a Leaf and an Outback. But we made those fleet decisions with 1 kid. With 2 kids, we wish we had gone Sienna instead of Outback. We live in a dry climate compared to you, so keeping muddy shit out of the interior isn't a big consideration.

You could easily get the new AWD Prius or PHEV crosstrek as your grocery getter and reserve the long bed Taco/Gladiator/Colorado for road trips.

The lease deals available on the Gladiator are insane right now, by the way. FCA is assuming the residuals will be through the roof. I would try to at least test drive that and the Colorado if I were kicking tires on the Ridgeline and Taco.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wait.

There's a vehicle actually called "The Gladiator"?!?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I agree. The rear locker on our F150 is *very* nice and has been useful numerous times.
    Yup +2 here. I dig that you can use it in 2wd too. Lots of people don't really know how to use a rear locker though.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wait.

There's a vehicle actually called "The Gladiator"?!?

It's a corndog, that's also a milkshake, that's also a salad!

Name:  CR-Cars-Inline-2020-Jeep-Gladiator-driving-11-18.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  43.7 KB

Finally, someone combined the silky smooth ride of a jeep, with half the space and comfort of a minivan, and 80% of a pickup bed!

Finally, someone combined the silky smooth ride of a jeep, with half the space and comfort of a minivan, and 40% of a pickup bed!
    FIFY

Finally, someone combined the silky smooth ride of a jeep, with half the space and comfort of a minivan, and 80% of a pickup bed!
    All that's true, but it's a longer wheelbase and more bed than you get with the Taco. And it tows more. If you're shopping for a pickup for medium-duty offroading/mulch hauling/mountain bike road trips, that's pretty much exactly what it's for. None of these "small" pickups are terribly practical for kid duty.

FCA is gonna print money with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    but it's a longer wheelbase and more bed than you get with the Taco.
    Huh?

OP said he was looking at a double cab long bed Tacoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Plus the gas milage of a hummer

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Huh?

OP said he was looking at a double cab long bed Tacoma.
    a.) I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the Taco's wheelbase. Just more rear overhang and crappier departure angle
    b.) Does the long bed taco have as much bed as the Jeep? IDK. The standard double cab bed is definitely much shorter. Go spec it out if you're in the market.
    c.) Of course the gas mileage sucks. All these little trucks are pigs. Maybe the new Ranger does okay because you can only get it with the turbocharged 4-banger, but I doubt it.
    d.) I didn't say you have to like it or buy it! We've already acknowledged that the child-hauler for this scenario is the Sienna and I think that's what I would get were I in OP's shoes. I just said I'd cross-shop it if I were kicking tires on a new Taco given the lease residuals.

jeep has a 5' bed and current gen reg bed taco has 6'

a.) I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the Taco's wheelbase. Just more rear overhang
    Nope. It's about a foot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you're shopping for a pickup for medium-duty offroading/mulch hauling/mountain bike road trips, that's pretty much exactly what it's for. None of these "small" pickups are terribly practical for kid duty.

FCA is gonna print money with it.
    Oh yeah, I agree.

But all of these cake-and-eat-it-too vehicles have massive design trade-offs, yet are marketed as "no compromise! you can do it all!" And plenty of folks are dumb enough to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Nope. It's about a foot longer.
    Damn! Toyota is making a different rusty frame for it?

Ha.

Op is like 30 with no kids and wants something with capable off road ability and able to haul some mulch.

Sienna all the way.

Rolling around in a minivan with no kids huh?

Lease the gladiator

Op clearly needs a Canyonero

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Ha.
    ...something a little more comfortable and with more cargo room for gear/stuff/future kids. I also want something that's more capable off road, although I am not someone who goes off road for fun.
    Plus

We also bought our first single family home last year
    Plus

wife
    Equals there’s going to be a nice low-mileage Tacoma on gear swap in about two years.

Ha.

Op is like 30 with no kids and wants something with capable off road ability and able to haul some mulch.
    Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
    The Sheriff is near!

Ha.

Sienna all the way.

Rolling around in a minivan with no kids huh?

Lease the gladiator
    Those lease deals are nice. The only downside is that a convertible top in the PNW might not make sense.

Frontier/Taco/Ranger/Gladiator/Colorado are all fun little trucks that will hold their value well and credibly carry a car seat or two when the time comes.