Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thule Access vs Yakima Backswing vs Kuat Pivot?

A few years ago I moved to a platform style hitch rack for my bikes on my F150. I love it, but using the main tailgate to access the bed is nearly impossible with bikes on. Before the platform rack I had a swing away rack that I LOVED because of the swing away capability. I'm considering purchasing one of the above to work with my Yakima Holdup 2+2 (4 bikes total) and was wondering what the experience is out there?

Yakima Backswing - Lightest at 36 pounds. Could use the same key system as the Holdup which would be nice. Seems to be the least burley option. Puts the rack almost 13" away from where it is currently mounted making the overall truck/rack combo over a foot longer.

Kuat Pivot - Seems more burley, and weighs more too - upwards of 50 pounds. Locking system is different, so would need another key (oh well). Puts the rack either 9" or 11" away from where it is currently mounted which is better than the Backswing (I don't currently have any problems with clearance of the bike on the closest tray. One review suggested that their locking mechanism may rattle loose on gravel roads. The pin makes sure it doesn't come open while driving, but could increase rattling.

Thule Access - not many reviews. I think this is the new kid on the block. I like the look of this better than the other two and it seems to have less fiddle factor when using it. Not sure how much this extends from the current mounting location. This is my preference from looking at pictures on the Interwebz, but no first hand knowledge nor many reviews.

Anybody have any experience on any of these?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    A few years ago I moved to a platform style hitch rack for my bikes on my F150. I love it, but using the main tailgate to access the bed is nearly impossible with bikes on. Before the platform rack I had a swing away rack that I LOVED because of the swing away capability. I'm considering purchasing one of the above to work with my Yakima Holdup 2+2 (4 bikes total) and was wondering what the experience is out there?

Yakima Backswing - Lightest at 36 pounds. Could use the same key system as the Holdup which would be nice. Seems to be the least burley option. Puts the rack almost 13" away from where it is currently mounted making the overall truck/rack combo over a foot longer.

Kuat Pivot - Seems more burley, and weighs more too - upwards of 50 pounds. Locking system is different, so would need another key (oh well). Puts the rack either 9" or 11" away from where it is currently mounted which is better than the Backswing (I don't currently have any problems with clearance of the bike on the closest tray. One review suggested that their locking mechanism may rattle loose on gravel roads. The pin makes sure it doesn't come open while driving, but could increase rattling.

Thule Access - not many reviews. I think this is the new kid on the block. I like the look of this better than the other two and it seems to have less fiddle factor when using it. Not sure how much this extends from the current mounting location. This is my preference from looking at pictures on the Interwebz, but no first hand knowledge nor many reviews.

Anybody have any experience on any of these?

Seth
    No personal experience, but if the toggle clamp on the Pivot is adjusted correctly there's no way it will rattle loose.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No personal experience, but if the toggle clamp on the Pivot is adjusted correctly there's no way it will rattle loose.
    You would think that. But I've had mine pop open a couple times. Adjusted per Pivot's recommendation (compressed to zero gap against the little pad). I've also had the latch snap. And I've seen a few other Kuats with snapped latches. I actually welded on a 2nd latch to (hopefully) address both of those issues.

Haven't used the Yakima or Thule, but I've fiddled with them on the display floor. The Thule clamp looked looser and rattley-er than the Kuat. I think it'd be a problem on rough roads. The Yakima looked better; possibly better than the Kuat.

You should also check out the Rocky Mounts version. Buddy has one that looks like it might be decent.

Does 1up make something like this? If so, I'd buy that.

No experience otherwise.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Does 1up make something like this? If so, I'd buy that.

No experience otherwise.
    No, they have one they recommend though.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/

I have the Pivot (currently for sale) and I've had no issues. It did take a few minutes to get the latch tensioned properly when I first set it up, but no rattles or issues since. Only selling it because I don't need the swing away access on my new vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    No, they have one they recommend though.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/
    close enough. I'd buy it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

You should also check out the Rocky Mounts version. Buddy has one that looks like it might be decent.
    The rockymounts backstage is a platform rack with an integrated swing out, but its only a 2 bike rack without the ability to add additional trays. I recently purchased one after a lot of research and thought. It meets my needs as I don't need a 4 bike rack and I didn't want to push out my bikes another 13" as the yakima adapter does. I haven't used it much yet but I dig the functionality and it clears my wide f150 with room to spare. Does have more plastic than I care for, though.

Also, the Kuat pivot is indeed a rebranded rakattach.

Great feedback. Thanks all.

From the experience that toast has had I'm thinking Kuat may be a no go. That leaves me with Yakima (extends a bunch) or Thule (bunch of unknowns).

Seth

I have the Kuat Pivot, with Kuala racks, on an F150. I generally drive it like there's nothing back there and show up at a campsite and surprisingly they usually show up there.

One complaint it that the Pivot doesn't have the same attachment that prevents movement that the rack does. So it eventually loosens up, but I think I can solve that with a $50 part from auto zone or something

If you put the bikes in the bed, you'll be able to access the tailgate no prob

Just bought and installed the backswing/holdup evo combo on my jeep. So far I like it. No rattles on muddy dirt roads, etc.

I've used the Yakima Backswing a handful of times. Legit and great feature however for city driving, the added length on the back of the truck is the only downside I can think of.

Thanks all. Ended up ordering a backswing over the weekend - it should be here on Thursday. Thanks for all of the recommendations and feedback.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looking fwd to hearing the backswing review, I too am looking at these options.

Will let you know. I picked it up last night and will put it on the truck either tonight or tomorrow.

Got the backswing installed today and was far happier than I thought I would be. I was actually concerned that the extra 12ish inches would be a con, but after having it installed I'm realizing that I have much better access to the back of the truck.

Before, to open the rear topper window or the tailgate I would have to put the rack down (even when not loaded). With the backswing I can open the window without problem.

With bikes loaded I can open both the tailgate and the window without even swinging the bikes to the side. The extra distance the rack is from the back of the truck means I can open the window and slide in between the bikes and the tailgate and grab things quickly.

When the bikes are rotated to the side, of course, the whole tailgate is accessible. Rear view through the camera is improved also.

At this point, I'm really happy.

Seth

Thanks for taking all those pictures. That is nice that you can open the topper window without swinging the rack away.

One thing I dislike about the rockymounts backstage is the swingout arm sits under the hitch tube and it hangs down pretty low. From your pics it looks like you may still have more clearance with the yakima unit even though it sticks out further.

Follow Up Question

I really appreciate your report and pics, thanks. I am trying to make the same decision myself for a Promaster Van. Any new thoughts after using it for awhile? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TimWa View Post
    I really appreciate your report and pics, thanks. I am trying to make the same decision myself for a Promaster Van. Any new thoughts after using it for awhile? Thanks!
    I haven't tried the Thule, but had a bit of rusting with the Yakima. To Yakima's credit they warrantied the rusty parts which ended up being the Holdup 2. It looked like the main piece and the add on (+2) were painted in different batches and paint adhesion was poor on the main unit.

The replacement has been better but it is rusting also. The design is such that painted steel surfaces are gliding across other painted steel surfaces which means that it is going to scratch the paint off and it is going to rust. I'm sure it doesn't help that I have been transporting bikes in the winter and our roads in Montana get salt treatments. I would say that most of my frustration is due to stuff not working sure to corrosion (brought on in part by the design).

My buddy has a Kuat NV bought right about that same time and it looks much better than my Yakima - no corrosion or rust that I can see and everything seems to be working properly. Painted parts don't glide across/scratch other painted parts, materials are better and they seem to be better engineered.

I have also bought a few Yakima rooftop bike racks (frontloaders) and one Kuat Trio rooftop mount. My observations of those racks are similar - kuat seems to be more intuitive, better materials, and hold up better.

When the hold up dies I will look at that Yakima has available but will likely replace it with a Kuat or another brand.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or want updated photos.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What I really want to know is if that F150 was actually a prototype vehicle, and if so, what was different about it?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The Kuat seems backordered for a long time...

Thanks for the update! I was looking at the Kuat first, but no one seems to have it and I kept reading about one of the levers breaking. I am leaning towards the Backswing, but your comments about the rust are concerning...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What I really want to know is if that F150 was actually a prototype vehicle, and if so, what was different about it?
    My company does a lot of Ford integrations for our customers. We have a telematics/vehicle automation system that allows us to control different parts of that integration (vehicle levelling, slideouts, antennas, generator control, etc). The F150 was stock but the data we were pulling from it too integrate into our telematics system was new for us, hence the "prototype" label.

Quote Originally Posted by TimWa View Post
    Thanks for the update! I was looking at the Kuat first, but no one seems to have it and I kept reading about one of the levers breaking. I am leaning towards the Backswing, but your comments about the rust are concerning...
    The backswing has been good. No real corrosion or rust to speak of us thus far.

Rad. It just caught my eye!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident