Thread: Cool pond skim

that ^^ is a really long pond

I got couple buddies who did the pond skim on a mono board and a set powder skis between them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bumping Bernie Propane's thread because it's already here. Watched the pond skim today Got to thinking.. Has anyone ever gone for it ON ONE SKI???

I've seen switch, trick in, trick not, even a 360 mid skim.. Never seen one footed..

I'm thinking Layne Meyer look with a kid on a ski bike chasing yelling TWO DOLLARS! You have my blessing to go for that one..

Here's one from today. It was a little brisk.. 20s all day. Props to those kids and the folks who fished them out.. Coldest pond skim I've ever seen in person..

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I've hit a lot of pond skims, many different ways (yes, including BN).

I only tried the one ski once. I basically put my toe in the second ski without clicking in the heel for the in-run and then dropped it waterski style and put the right foot behind the left. This was on home-rockered Pow +. I got maybe 2/3 across the pond and sunk from lack of speed, but stayed upright until my momentum gave up.

The pond in your video is relatively short, so looks easy enough. I bet it could be done.

Actually have been thinking about hitting one in NH next Saturday. maybe even try the monoski. That'd be a new one for me.

I'm in the red fartbag at 1:40 in this old Attitash video, on both skis. Short pond makes an easy skim. 😁

^^^^SWEET!!!^^^^^

I actually got up the FIRST try on water skis, and it was on a slalom ski. But, I sat in the boat and watched another friend on his first attempts fall 89369824 times before I got my turn hahaha. I was pretty small too though so advantage of that and being a good snow skier..

Never tried a pond skim. Wasn't about to today in SL skis.

The year before was a similarly easy ride, but caught a front view on the video. This was also the year a guy showed up with 250cm speed skis (check em out at 0:48). Needless to say he made it across.

Nice shot of us at the end high and dry.. ��

'07 and '09 at Jay were two of the coldest ones I ever hit, I think it was in the low 20s all day for both. You can see the ice chunks floating everywhere in the pond.

'07 involved an obscene about of Jager. I'm at end this one with the life jacket and bunny ears making bad choices.

Better decisions were made in '09 and I redeemed myself as the pirate at 1:55.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I think the peak of my skiing career was 180 to switch all the way across the pond 180 out back to snow in the mid 2000s at A-basin. It's been all downhill since maybe lol.

Tele would be kind of impressive.. I've done some easy runs on a super warm puddles day. Almost went over the bars multiple times but just a lot of close calls.

JayPowHound might have rename to JayPondHound

Dayuum. Master of the pond skim.

So nobody cares if they tele?

I used to do Burke's pond skim in the early-mid-00's. That pond skim competition is set up a bit different than most I've seen since they do it elimination style. You get across the pond, you get another run. BUT you get a shorter/lower/slower run in as they keep moving down the hill until there is a winner. I got top three one year.
    2009 - Cartoon characters theme.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01915.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	452606

The pond - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01919.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	452607

2007 (last round, almost all speed from skating at this point):
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Tele would be kind of impressive.. I've done some easy runs on a super warm puddles day. Almost went over the bars multiple times but just a lot of close calls.
    Buddy of mine tried to throw a tele turn mid skim last year, didn’t work for him.

Curious about the elimination format, I’m running our pond skim next month. Sounds like a cool wrinkle

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

I e done them that way too. Alld depends on how many people you register and how much time you have. Turns it into real competition near the end of that's what you're looking for.