Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thoughts on Ned...

This really rings true for me back in Vt.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/239245...ud4G2xb8OY34a8

"he doesn’t tell anyone about his secret trails now"

Heh. Rule #1 of Fight Club.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    "he doesn’t tell anyone about his secret trails now"

Heh. Rule #1 of Fight Club.
    That's pretty much it.

If you're 30 minutes from a major population, an old patchwork of mostly non-sanctioned trail isn't going to stay unmanaged. Fighting inevitability isn't going to get you anywhere. Get involved and shape how the management plays out, and in the meantime, build good trails in more discreet locations.

Thoughts on Ned...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1954.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	280004

20 years ago when I staked MY claim, that was before THEY came in here and they, they, well they TOOK OUR JUUUUUBS!! TUUK ERR JOBS!!!

Don’t Boulder my Nederland! Don’t Denver my Boulder! Don’t Thornton my Northglenn! Don’t Boulder my Castlerock!! Don’t Castlerock my Pueblo!!! Don’t Divide my Florissant!!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

That is about the most Boulder thing ever. Boulder + Ned + MTBers = a recipe for whiny bitches.

Ride your bike over Rollins Pass and you'll find hundreds of miles of trails devoid of drug addicts and hillbillies just asking for some trail maintenance.

Thoughts on Ned...

I’d also wager that the ACE is locally owned and not a corporate owned store but I could be wrong. I’d also have to say that Back Country Pizza qualifies as a chain.

Cool town!

It seems like a place where Id want to buy a house where I could work on my model of the town in the attic. Stock the ski shop with tiny metal katanas. You know, quaint.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

another reason the front range sucks

Why are they going all the way to Ned? The trails off Flagstaff are way better! The hikers are pretty rude, though. Kinda feels like you're not supposed to be there.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I always loved Ned and rode some of the trails up there, but if Ned people thought it wasn't gonna get Boulderized they are crazy.

The people of Boulder sound like a treat

Ned has been Boulderized for at LEAST 25 years.

Thoughts on Ned...

Fierce territorialism? Nothing new. Certainly not a Front Range only problem.

Never have run into any issues riding in Ned. And the work they did on Aspen Alley and Re-Root is awesome.

Move to fucking WY...plenty of space up there to do whatever the fuck you want. They could use the population.

Thoughts on Ned...

Ned has been Boulderized for at LEAST 25 years.
    That certainly happened but your timeline is off.
    You lived there then eh?

As a former Ned resident party to the early days of the trails mentioned (and others not) that article gave me heartburn.

Boulder County is so sad. So little singletrack and the little bit they have they bicker over constantly. They have so much land to build trails on and they can't get permission from the government to do it. There are a whole lot of forest service roads to ride and then private land owners try to deny us access by putting up gates so only they can access the area. The whole area is a NIMBY nightmare.
    Last edited by simple; 04-25-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    That certainly happened but your timeline is off.
    You lived there then eh?
    Fuck no. Boulder county has sucked as long as I've lived here on the Front Range. Hell - I think in 25+ years, I've only visited Boulder a half-dozen times.

And for Ned to think that they aren't a suburb of Boulder is laughable.

YMMV.

And for Ned to think that they aren't a suburb of Boulder is laughable.
    Well regardless, it's certainly true now...

Thoughts on Ned...

People love to hate Boulder and themountain biking might be lacking in Boulder proper but the year-round hiking/trail running is world class.

Just drive south to Golden or north to Lyons for good riding.

This whole thing makes me sad, including the "you guys are idiots/assholes/naive" posts in this thread.

These are my trails, this is my happy place. And the frustrations and conflict expressed in that article is very very real for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It should get better once the baby boomers die and the government folks move on. So another 20 years of bullshit right?

Thoughts on Ned...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This whole thing makes me sad, including the "you guys are idiots/assholes/naive" posts in this thread.

These are my trails, this is my happy place. And the frustrations and conflict expressed in that article is very very real for me.
    Have you been harassed up in Ned for riding certain trails?

They’re all probably cranky that they can’t find a parking spot at Eldora anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Have you been harassed up in Ned for riding certain trails?

They’re all probably cranky that they can’t find a parking spot at Eldora anymore.
    Never been harassed. Not really sure what type of harassment you're talking about, but the only direct conflict issues there are not Ned vs Boulder but issues with the transient folks that camp up there.

The Ned vs Boulder conflict is all when off the bike, with the USFS, etc.

And I'm with the Ned locals on this issue and am friends with a number of them.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Do you live in Nederland? or Boulder?

this conflict is so "boulder" it's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Do you live in Nederland? or Boulder?

this conflict is so "boulder" it's laughable.
    Boulder.

It's so "Boulder" why, exactly? What does that mean?

Boulder.

It's so "Boulder" why, exactly? What does that mean?
    it just strikes me as a typical "boulder" 1st world problem. Bickering about expanding and making a trail system better just seems funny to me, especially the Ned locals taking such an entitled stance on Forest Service land.

My guess there has always been a beef between Ned and Boulder residents. There certainly was 20 years ago

I lived in boulder from 2002-2005, and when we rode mountain bikes, we would go to ned. I always enjoyed riding up there, but the Ned attitude of Us vs Boulder has always made me laugh. I would wager 90% of the people living in Ned commute to Boulder for work, which makes it funny that there has been a Ned vs Boulder beef since Nederland is just a Boulder suburb in most people's eyes.

I don't know if it's so, "Boulder", access issues and fights about locals/vistors and hidden gems are as old as westward expansion. I had a chance to ride up there a few times the last few years I was in Boulder and I can sympathize with the locals but this was, sadly, inevitable. Building illegal trails on FS land is always dicey and you never know what they'll do when they decide to inventory them for a travel management plan or something else. It doesn't matter if it's been your "backyard" for years, it's still public land and everyone has a right to use it. If you want full control over your trails build them on private land.

It is a shame for locals but if they want to keep Nederland like it was they don't need a gate at the bottom of Boulder Canyon, they need one at DIA or the Kansas line. Like the article said, with more people pouring into the Front Range and Boulder's dearth of real trails those people were headed up the canyon sooner or later anyway.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."