Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'd check out Sedona, Bryce, Joshua Tree or the San Juans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I'd check out Sedona, Bryce, Joshua Tree or the San Juans.
    All totally reasonable for an afternoon jaunt from vegas.

Vedauwoo

Spearmint Rhino. I suggest going commando.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Red Rock Canyon is good, but I think Valley of Fire is better.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Red Rock Canyon is good, but I think Valley of Fire is better.
    That's kinda what I thought. The longer, (but still short), hikes to see the petroglyphs were amazing. Also, when you leave the main strip, Vegas has some cool stuff. Get coffee here: https://vestacoffee.com/pages/location, or have dinner at an old club, etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I just don't think I'm going to finish the interview until too late Thursday to leave then, so I mostly tried to keep things that were easy within one day. Plus, I kind of wanted to get a feel as to what it would be like living closer to Vegas (which has never sounded appealing to me) and how I'd like the hiking/biking I could do regularly. It actually seems like a great spot as a base for weekend length adventuring, but I like to get out more than that.
    I've never spent any time in Vegas but my son has spent a lot and he's seriously considering it as first choice for AF surgery job after residency. He's a climber so the idea of being near Red Rocks is a big part of his decision. Also international airport with direct flights to anywhere, cheap flights to Reno to ski with us. (Not relevant to you but also much busier hospital than Travis AFB in CA, where he's stationed now, and there's a branch of his fiance's osteopathic school in Vegas.) The point, anyway, is that he sees it as a good place to live.

A partner of mine retired there--for the airport because he loves to travel, and no state income tax. He loves the hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've never spent any time in Vegas but my son has spent a lot and he's seriously considering it as first choice for AF surgery job after residency. He's a climber so the idea of being near Red Rocks is a big part of his decision. Also international airport with direct flights to anywhere, cheap flights to Reno to ski with us. (Not relevant to you but also much busier hospital than Travis AFB in CA, where he's stationed now, and there's a branch of his fiance's osteopathic school in Vegas.) The point, anyway, is that he sees it as a good place to live.

A partner of mine retired there--for the airport because he loves to travel, and no state income tax. He loves the hiking.
    Thanks!

I arrived this afternoon. I haven't done anything but check into my hotel in the middle of what appears to be a strip mall district, but I admit being able to see the hills/mountains surrounding the town make it better than a lot of suburban sprawl I've been in.

Now time to shower up and be charming so I might have the option if I do like it. Ha

Have fun in Sin City. Valley of Fire is close. We saw a group of characters there around 10 years ago with atlatis who let us have a few throws. Also some D-Bags scratching their names on rock near petroglyphs.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I thought red rock was pretty cool the last time I was there. Can't remember the name of it but there's a loop hike thats 5ish miles with some scrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    All totally reasonable for an afternoon jaunt from vegas.
    lol

Lotus of Siam for dinner, but steer far from the wine list if you like the goodz.

Stonehenge

Valley of Fire...

At Bromontana's suggestion, I did Sedona, Joshua Tree, Bryce Canyon, and the San Juans.

Actually, I ended up not doing that much. The bike rental shop didn't open until 10, so I got my bike and rode for 3-4 hours at Bootleg Canyon. That was awesome, but it was rough riding in 90 degree heat, so I rested then just went out to a little slot canyon hot spring trail (Gold Strike) toward Lake Mead. It was pretty cool, but I didn't get to do the whole thing as it was getting late. I didn't get to see any of the big things on the west side of town, but if I end up moving there, I now have a list.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    A

Actually, I ended up not doing that much. The bike rental shop didn't open until 10, so I got my bike and rode for 3-4 hours at Bootleg Canyon. That was awesome, but it was rough riding in 90 degree heat, so I rested then just went out to a little slot canyon hot spring trail (Gold Strike) toward Lake Mead.

Thanks!
    Uh, we forgot to mention that all the cool things about Vegas are cool from November through March.

Sad to hear you didn't "stretch the legs" and visit the broader Vegas-metro area, which includes Zion according to locals*. There's a great breakfast spot in Cedar City you totes missed out on.

*Benny

^sounds like MB did it right, i connected with 1000-oaks and his lady in vegas this weekend and all i ended up with was this new toof....#redacted, #dontask, #wtf #happensinvegasstaysinvegasexceptagoldtooth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3539.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	820.4 KB 
ID:	280547
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I ended up being offered the job at Nevada State and declining it. I really considered it as I really liked the people and the institution, but in the end my current employer came up with a plan to keep me and we're pretty happy here, so we'll stay where we are. There was a whole lot of cool stuff around there though, so thanks for all the insight!