Canon Power Up Issue

I recently purchased a used 1D IV in great condition, less than 10K shutter actuations and body looks new, from a legit member on FM. Well it gets here and right out of the box it will not turn on. I've been in contact will the member and he swears it worked when he packaged it, so I'm guessing it was dropped or run over or something en route (thanks USPS!). Anyway, not really too concerned with that..

My question is has anyone else had a Canon camera that won't power up? And if so what route did you have to go to get it working again, or was it ultimately bricked?

Current plan is to visit my local camera shop tomorrow to have them look it over and hopefully test the battery in another body. I'm not holding much hope this will resolve the issue but it's a starting point. Next will be to call up Canon directly and see what I'm looking at dollars wise for them to inspect and possibly fix the body. Probably not worth the expense and I don't even know if they still work on bodies this old but I want to use the damn thing.

Open to suggestions.

Send it back. Get a refund. Buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Send it back. Get a refund. Buy another one.
    I'd see if you can have Canon fix it, but have the seller pay for any and all expenses. If he's smart, he'll pay for whatever it takes- otherwise he's got a brick on his hands that he can't sell for $10.

There’s a secondary battery somewhere that keeps the clock going. It’s a small chance, but I’ve heard of cameras coming back to life after both batteries were removed and replaced.

I advise against sending the camera to Canon. They have great warranty service, but for cameras out of warranty they try to encourage you to buy a new camera by pricing their services so high.

If a simple solution isn’t found quickly, your first choice should be to get your money back from the seller.

Should have updated this yesterday, long story short I took it to my local camera shop (Tempe Camera Repair, which is surprisingly legit). They couldn’t find anything inherently wrong, but the tech did comment that the card door wasn’t popping open like it should. Since the seller also mentioned to make sure the door was closed properly I decided to look at it closer when I brought it home.

Took a very small screwdriver and manually pressed the card door button down, it took practically no pressure to get it to pop into place and engage, and the camera functioned perfectly... but with the button pressed in this way the door wouldn’t closed. A few more minutes of tinkering and I said fuck it, let the door rest against the body and gave it a solid hit to close it. Works.

So moral of the story, if you ever buy an old 1d camera and it doesn’t work, make sure you slam the damn card door closed!

Also, this camera is a tank.

Glad you got it working! That’s a great sports camera, have fun with it.