Page 53 of 99 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2464

Thread: Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

BC1000 bikepacking race, around July 1st, start at Merritt BC, ride to Fernie - 2/3 rail trail, but still not easy. This year was 100F for days. This is a race that has been on my radar for a few years. This link has good video and story about the female that one and set a FKT for women (and 2nd fastest ever). Great scenery on the video

https://bikepacking.com/plog/encount...-bc-epic-1000/

Amazing video, Meaghan is an incredible athlete. Two strong friends dropped out of the race on the first day due to the heat that was over 110 during the days. She wrote a great article on her blog about riding in the heat.

And to the debate (?!) about clipless vs. flat pedals? would never judge anyone riding flats, they work... but clipless are far better in every way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROCKSHOX_RUBY.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	920.0 KB 
ID:	382150

I do like their XPLR 1x on paper, too bad mere mortals won't be able to buy it anytime soon.

I use flats because of the metal in my leg, it's just that much more comfortable when spinning for 50+ miles. Yes, I've tried ones that offer more tolerance, foot and leg still suffered.

Mag weekend with Goniff, MNIAW, and biggins. 94 miles, 9300’.

Name:	Image1629078897.850136.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	382421

Name:	Image1629078915.182584.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	659.0 KB 
ID:	382422

Name:	Image1629078936.002279.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	946.4 KB 
ID:	382423

Name:	IMG_8584.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	382424

Name:	IMG_8598.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	382425

Name:	Image1629079054.940626.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	382427

Name:	Image1629079096.559374.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	382428

Goniff has some more pics to add.

Approved! Way to bushwhack. Looks like a ball.

Looking for some gravel sizing help.
    I'm 5'5" with a ~31in inseam and considering a Poseidon X for casual gravel riding. No rides over say 40 miles and will certainly be throwing in some mellow single track. According to their size guide I am clearly a small frame https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...-x-matte-black

However, my cheapo commuter road bike is a 53 cm. I demoed an Ibis Hakka MX last weekend also a 53 frame size. I think it fit well and did not have a ton of pain after two 20 mile back to back rides but I was sore the next day. I assume this is because I have very little experience with drop bars and was riding some pretty rough stuff.

Using https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geo...a97900174bbbcb, the 53cm Ibis is very very close to the medium X which is theoretically too big for me.

So, any thoughts? Do I follow the X size guide or go with something I think fits. I honestly am not sure I would know if I was on the completely wrong size Hakka but maybe I would. I ride MTB a ton but am very new to drop bars. I normally ride a size small Ibis Ripmo but have demoed medium frames with no problems. I just prefer a smaller size on the MTB.

Thanks!

I have no experience with the Poseidon X so here are a few more pics from last weekend.

Name:  Image1629378911.555054.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  254.2 KB

Name:  Image1629378921.481119.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  262.0 KB

Anyone ridden in north-central PA? Planning a three day bikepacking and have some routes made, but will always take recommendations for food, lodging, roads.

Pics from the aforementioned demo rides:

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	985.6 KB 
ID:	382829

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	382830

Name:	IMG_3362.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	382831

Sweet ride. Specs? Open?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Sweet ride. Specs? Open?
    Just a stock Ibis Hakka MX with the Rival Groupset. I think it was the 2019 build (it's a demo bike). I liked it a lot, not sure I can justify the cost for what I would use it for but it really opened my eyes to what a gravel bike could do. I obviously destroyed every fireroad climbing PR from my enduro MTB but was not too far off on some mellow singletrack too...

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Just a stock Ibis Hakka MX with the Rival Groupset. I think it was the 2019 build (it's a demo bike). I liked it a lot, not sure I can justify the cost for what I would use it for but it really opened my eyes to what a gravel bike could do. I obviously destroyed every fireroad climbing PR from my enduro MTB but was not too far off on some mellow singletrack too...
    That's not a lot of seatpost showing above the frame. Is there a smaller size to provide some compliance or maybe a little room for a dropper post?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    That's not a lot of seatpost showing above the frame. Is there a smaller size to provide some compliance or maybe a little room for a dropper post?
    Yes, this was a 53cm and they also make a 49. 49 was unavailable to demo and both frame sizes are sold out until early next year as far as I am aware. Now that you mention it, that is a good consideration... I didn't think of wanting a dropper but that would certainly make sense.

First bikepacking trip in the books. Was originally planned as a 2 day 36 mile 6000' route, but we woke up to bad smoke day 2 and had a 2500' downhill escape route right in front of us so chose that option. Rode the rigid fat bike with 29x3.0" wheels which worked just fine. Rack on the back with pad and bivvy sack, sleeping bag on the front, stove/food in the frame bag, everything else in the backpack. Bike was 52# loaded, but rode surprisingly well. The fat bike 2x10 gearing really helped on some tough hills. Only one pic, but maybe more coming.Name:  IMG_1017(1).jpg
Views: 407
Size:  282.9 KB

davjr - I've been on the same bike for the last year. I could only get my hands on a frame, but I built it up with Rival too. Absolutely loving it. I know it's $$, but it's been so worth it.

With that in mind, I built it up with 650b but really wanting a 700c wheelset.

Anyone have any recs for a cheap-ish wheelset? Currently have GRX on there and they seem fine for my amateur ass, but those wheels in 700c are hard to come by. Looking closely at the Hunt 4 season aluminum wheels, but like everyone else, they aren't shipping until December.

Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    davjr - I've been on the same bike for the last year. I could only get my hands on a frame, but I built it up with Rival too. Absolutely loving it. I know it's $$, but it's been so worth it.

With that in mind, I built it up with 650b but really wanting a 700c wheelset.

Anyone have any recs for a cheap-ish wheelset? Currently have GRX on there and they seem fine for my amateur ass, but those wheels in 700c are hard to come by. Looking closely at the Hunt 4 season aluminum wheels, but like everyone else, they aren't shipping until December.
    All the cool kids ride 36"x4" grinder tires now. Get with times

Gravel was grinded, too.

Name:	Image1629685965.030635.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	383231

Looking for some gravel sizing help.
    I'm 5'5" with a ~31in inseam and considering a Poseidon X for casual gravel riding. No rides over say 40 miles and will certainly be throwing in some mellow single track. According to their size guide I am clearly a small frame https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...-x-matte-black

However, my cheapo commuter road bike is a 53 cm. I demoed an Ibis Hakka MX last weekend also a 53 frame size. I think it fit well and did not have a ton of pain after two 20 mile back to back rides but I was sore the next day. I assume this is because I have very little experience with drop bars and was riding some pretty rough stuff.

Using https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geo...a97900174bbbcb, the 53cm Ibis is very very close to the medium X which is theoretically too big for me.

So, any thoughts? Do I follow the X size guide or go with something I think fits. I honestly am not sure I would know if I was on the completely wrong size Hakka but maybe I would. I ride MTB a ton but am very new to drop bars. I normally ride a size small Ibis Ripmo but have demoed medium frames with no problems. I just prefer a smaller size on the MTB.

Thanks!
    I don't have any insight to help you with sizing, but my friend has that same bike. I was impressed with the spec and ride quality for the price, the components were on par with bikes around $1500 that I had seen

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Thoughts on the Canyon Grizl?? Seems to be a pretty decent spec for price, gets good reviews and might be available this year in my size.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Thoughts on the Canyon Grizl?? Seems to be a pretty decent spec for price, gets good reviews and might be available this year in my size.
    I was/am pretty interested in the Grizl,but decided to wait a year to see how it shakes out. Nothing with the Grizl, but Canyon’s mtbs have a long history or cracking and other issues…then, last year (into this year) they have a HUDGE problem with their Aeroad.

If the second edition rolls out and no issues appear, I’ll prolly grab one. One other thing to keep in mind: the geo seems more “racier” than “relaxed.”

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I was/am pretty interested in the Grizl,but decided to wait a year to see how it shakes out. Nothing with the Grizl, but Canyon’s mtbs have a long history or cracking and other issues…then, last year (into this year) they have a HUDGE problem with their Aeroad.

If the second edition rolls out and no issues appear, I’ll prolly grab one. One other thing to keep in mind: the geo seems more “racier” than “relaxed.”

Interesting. In all honesty I’ve spent very little time looking at any canyon bikes ( other then ones attached to Emily Batty)

Good info tho, I’ll look into that!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just became the new owner of this:

Name:	PXL_20210828_134228492.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	383851

I don't think the first owner could have ridden it for more than a few miles, although it did get some scratches on the downtube in transit, which is annoying.

20.1 lbs with the tubes still in. I've only done a couple 10 mile rides around the local trails, mostly smooth with bits bumpy, rutted single track connectors thrown in. Other gravel bikes I've tried include a steel Kona Rove, a steel Renegade, an alloy Topstone. I think all those bikes provide a smoother ride than the Niner (although I'm not accounting for tire size). But the Niner (it's a 2017, which a bit different than the new version) certainly feels quicker (and is lighter) than all of them.

I would not choose this bike for bike packing or long rides on rough terrain (It's pretty stiff and handles better the faster you go). The Rove and Renegade would be great for this. The Topstone felt a little more lively than those two, but still has a nice ride. Would be a great all rounder. The Niner feels a bit like a cross bike with more stack and a longer, more stable front end. Poor mans Warbird, maybe? For my expected usage of bombing around for a couple hours along with some mixed surface commuting it should be spot on. Plus it cost less than I expected to pay and met my three requirements: 2x drive train, fun on road and off, hydro brakes.

The best thing about my new bike is that it exists. It's hard to find anything right now. So far I'm super stoked to be back on a drop bar bike while mostly avoiding cars. Run-ins with asshole drivers killed my love of road biking a while back. If I start spending a lot of hours on a bike again (I turned into a runner somehow) I may regret not buying something that soaks up bumps better, but I guess if that happens I just start saving up for a carbon frame. Hopefully some bigger tires (currently has 35c Schwalbe G-Ones) and going tubeless will make a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

All Canyons have issues cracking - Ultimate, Aeroad, Speedmax, Grail, all of them. Wouldn't ride one or put anyone I care about on one.

Nice score, ISBD. Time for some clipless pedals.

Did a recon of the revised Dirty Pizza route today, 41 miles with 5,200’ of climbing. Some wicked pave’ sections, I’m gonna ride the HT, with Bonty XR3 2.2’s, tubeless. For sure I’m giving away some time on the road, but the gnar is going to decide this race. If you’re anywhere near Southwest NH, I can’t recommend this ride enough. The wood fired pizza from the master bread maker is worth the price, alone. The sag stops feature their homemade cookies. Orchard Hill is seriously good stuff. BYOB.

https://www.bikereg.com/50365
    From today

Name:	Image1630199305.701135.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	383869

Name:	Image1630199338.367526.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	383870