Page 56 of 99 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2464
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    So the 30 mile gravel ride I did today that had 5000 ft of climbing is against the rules? Shit.Attachment 386086Attachment 386087
    Everyone knows you're a glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    1k’ of climbing for every 10 miles has always been my target for dirt road adventure rides too.
    Yeah--my weekend rides on the gravel bike all end up being 1k/10 miles, no matter what direction I ride in or how long I ride for. It seems to always happen, and never by design. I guess it's just the terrain around the Stowe/Morrisville/Elmore area.

I did the group start for the Cairngorms Loop last weekend. I brought a bivvy and a lightweight sleeping bag but ended up doing it in one push. Not a lot of elevation gain but lots of hike a bike.

I brought a homemade beer can stove and made hot food and coffee twice, I think I'll be doing that more in the future. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210911_105420.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	386117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210911_165846.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	386118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210911_205031.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	386119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210912_085541.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	386120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210912_092432.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	386121

Sent from my COL-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

So the 30 mile gravel ride I did today that had 5000 ft of climbing is against the rules? Shit.Attachment 386086Attachment 386087
    Hey it doesn’t always work out, I have a local ride that’s 19 miles and 4700’. It’s just an observation that 10k/10 miles seems to be an average for dirt road adventure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Man, I really need want to ride a bike around Scotland. I was blown away by the scenery and legit mountains on a hiking/running trip there a few years ago. How many of the random trails like in the Cuillin Range on Skye are open to bikes?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Man, I really need want to ride a bike around Scotland. I was blown away by the scenery and legit mountains on a hiking/running trip there a few years ago. How many of the random trails like in the Cuillin Range on Skye are open to bikes?
    You can bring your bike wherever you want here. A lot of the walking paths in the mountains wouldn't be very fun to try to ride, but to each their own. That being said, there are also some really amazing mountain trails that are well worth the effort and are fairly ridable.

Hit me up if you want to plan a trip, we'll be here for another 3 years!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Good to know - thanks, Biggins and Supermoon. The sway definitely came up on the REI reviews but for the price that seems to make sense. At the same time the Revelate Spinelock 10L seems great...but twice the price at $180...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632278452.271032.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	386189

The "garage" section if REI in Silverthorne had a 16L Spinelock for $90, so I snagged it. Everything seems to be alright, just need to install it to ensure it all works. They also had a reasonable condition Ortlieb too, so would definitely keep an eye out at your local REI (Denver had a few options too).

Does anyone want these Origin 8 bars? I'm not hipster enough for this much flare and prefer a much more traditional shape. $40 plus shipping?
    https://origin8.bike/collections/han...-ergo-sweep-osClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210915_160906.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	386197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210915_160922.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	386198

I bought some Hunt gravel wheels recently that turned out to be a disaster so I just returned those. I'm looking for a decent gravel wheelset for around $500 to replace them. 100x12/142x12, XD driver, prefer 6 bolt (I have adapters if needed) and tubeless.

Any suggestions? Slim pickins online but I did stumble across a set of WTB Proterras and a set of Stans Grail. I only gravel ride early and late season so I just need something reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I bought some Hunt gravel wheels recently that turned out to be a disaster so I just returned those. I'm looking for a decent gravel wheelset for around $500 to replace them. 100x12/142x12, XD driver, prefer 6 bolt (I have adapters if needed) and tubeless.

Any suggestions? Slim pickins online but I did stumble across a set of WTB Proterras and a set of Stans Grail. I only gravel ride early and late season so I just need something reliable.
    You could just buy some Farsports wheels, which could very well be the ones Hunt puts its stickers on before marking them up. The $750 ones we have with Bitex hubs are excellent.

I have 3 sets of aluminum rim gravel wheels and would be happy to part with one of them. Shimano RS, Giant SX2, anda Stan's Grail. LMK if you're interested.

You could just buy some Farsports wheels, which could very well be the ones Hunt puts its stickers on before marking them up. The $750 ones we have with Bitex hubs are excellent.

I have 3 sets of aluminum rim gravel wheels and would be happy to part with one of them. Shimano RS, Giant SX2, anda Stan's Grail. LMK if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer. Once I get my $$ back from Hunt, I may PM you about those Stan's wheels.

Name:	havok.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	387290

new ride

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post

assuming you don't require carbon, Joey at Cascadia will build you a sweet alloy set for within ~100$ of your budget. I have two sets of his wheels. A 700c carbon set for the cx race rig and a 650 alloy set for big gravel adventure. Zero issues with either set, they've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

Name:	havok.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	387290

new ride
    congrats! a beaut!!!!

thanks! still dialing in the cockpit but man it’s nice. I can’t believe how smooth the axs stuff is.

^^^^^ Great looking bike. How does it ride compared to your previous bike?

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

well my other bikes are a so-so road bike that doesn’t fit me great, a shitty hardtail that I sunk some unfortunate money into and still rides like shit, and a nice but mid range gravel bike (the cannondale topstone with the grx hrd stuff) and this bike is substantially nicer than any of those. it’s about as smooth in the hands with a rigid fork as my hardtail and immeasurably smoother in back, a much more stable platform than any of the others (longest wheelbase of the lot by a good bit at ~1150)

It’ll take a 100mm sus fork which I may put on, but for what I normally ride (city to dirt roads to xc stuff) it’s pretty much perfect. I was concerned that the AXS stuff would be too annoying with an AXS dropper as well but that is the very next upgrade I make, even before the squish fork. anyway this one is basically a titanium hardtail made with drop bars in mind: 73mm bb, boost spaced, 68.5 HTA, ~1150 wheelbase and so on, and at the current build is just over 20lbs. 34t oval ring and gx axs der, 10-52, force axs hrd brifters with hope RX4 calipers. carbon wheels (jefe jayhawkers which I rolled the dice on but haven’t died after 1 hard ride), carbon enve mtn fork, and a wide / flared bar (dajia far bar). brooks saddle and tape, pnw dropper, um. chris king headset. random SRAM cranks and cheap whisky stem.
    Last edited by mall walker; 09-29-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Bars - flare or no flare? I need to order some new ones. This will be for road and gravel use not much singletrack. seems like it would be nice to have a small amount like 4%-12% but no more than that. my fit guy doesn't like them because it changes your hand positions on the hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Bars - flare or no flare? I need to order some new ones. This will be for road and gravel use not much singletrack. seems like it would be nice to have a small amount like 4%-12% but no more than that. my fit guy doesn't like them because it changes your hand positions on the hoods.
    I've been wondering the same thing. I need wider ones than what came on my bike just because I have pretty wide shoulders. I've always ridden in the drops a lot on road bikes, and continue to do so on my gravel bike. Don't want to give up that position, but I have been riding a fair amount on rough trails where some extra width (beyond what is necessary for body geometry) would be nice going down hill. Wish there was an easier way to try out different bars. I'l probably go with some something fairly conservative. so as to not fuck with what I know works for me.

Great looking rig, mw!

Just discovered that I need a "fit guy"

The flare changes your hand position for the better. It’s a more neutral position. That said, I wouldn’t buy flared drops for a gravel bike again, Jones H bars of any type are more versatile and offer better control on rough roads and single track.

what width are you after? I'm considering selling a lightly used set of super light and fancy carbon FSA k-Wing AGX size 44. In your range of more subtle flare (12%). Seriously nice bar. I'm considering getting something with more flare and a little shallower drop (like a Ritchey Venturamax). I'm in Seattle area. PM me if you think we might be able to work something out. cheers. Funny, my 'fit guy' (I get to call him that after going to my first fit) eyed these bars and said... 'ohhhhh those look perfect, I don't like a lot of flare....'

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    well my other bikes are a so-so road bike that doesn’t fit me great, a shitty hardtail that I sunk some unfortunate money into and still rides like shit, and a nice but mid range gravel bike (the cannondale topstone with the grx hrd stuff) and this bike is substantially nicer than any of those. it’s about as smooth in the hands with a rigid fork as my hardtail and immeasurably smoother in back, a much more stable platform than any of the others (longest wheelbase of the lot by a good bit at ~1150)

It’ll take a 100mm sus fork which I may put on, but for what I normally ride (city to dirt roads to xc stuff) it’s pretty much perfect. I was concerned that the AXS stuff would be too annoying with an AXS dropper as well but that is the very next upgrade I make, even before the squish fork. anyway this one is basically a titanium hardtail made with drop bars in mind: 73mm bb, boost spaced, 68.5 HTA, ~1150 wheelbase and so on, and at the current build is just over 20lbs. 34t oval ring and gx axs der, 10-52, force axs hrd brifters with hope RX4 calipers. carbon wheels (jefe jayhawkers which I rolled the dice on but haven’t died after 1 hard ride), carbon enve mtn fork, and a wide / flared bar (dajia far bar). brooks saddle and tape, pnw dropper, um. chris king headset. random SRAM cranks and cheap whisky stem.
    MW- did that small front mudguard come with the enve fork? I'm looking for something similar. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    MW- did that small front mudguard come with the enve fork? I'm looking for something similar. thanks
    Looks like a Mucky Nutz style “fender”. They just zip tie on almost any fork.