Page 43 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    It's cold out there, but the pavement is dry and clear and somehow I managed to go on 5 real rides this week (plus a little zwift). I should probably consider going skiing one of these days.

Attachment 357293

Attachment 357294

Attachment 357295

The insulated winter shoes have been pretty great but I think I need some bar mitts or heated gloves or something. It hasn't been too bad but the hands are definitely borderline where everything else is pretty good.
    nice work

get bar mitts

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Nice work Jamal. I have almost broken out the gravel rig a couple times in the last month, but even on "warm" days in the upper 30s with sunshine the pavement still holds many of those weird re-frozen ice berm things, etc. If I could just jump straight on gravel I would be all good. I have nice cold weather clothing too.

Mostly I just need to sack up though. Zwifting is too easy now when it's so cold outside.

Encouraging for sure. The gravel bike is on my truck for a lunch ride. Outdoor riding > Indoor riding (for me) every time.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Jamal, you have anything that fits this criteria at your shop (I don't even know which one it is...)?
    Follow up, went and had a beer at the shop tonight

They have:
    2021 Kona Libre AL, 50cm, 1899
    2021 Kona Rove DL, 52cm, 1699
    2021 Orbea Terra H30 1x, med, 2099 The dark green color
    They also have a 2020 terra, size XS though, This color. msrp 1999 but I think on sale

A few decent trail bikes too.
    Last edited by jamal; 01-15-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Have a pair of WTB Ventures in a 700 x 40. After looking at them, I think a pair of Byways or Trigger Pros might be a better match for my needs. Anybody have a pair in excellent condition they would be interested in trading?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Relatively straight forward gravel routes near Denver? I assume east or in the foothills somewhere. Need to head down that way for work this week and also just starting a program with a coach using Training Peaks. Really don't want to miss a ride on my first week. Need somewhere to ride on Wednesday night to do some intervals. Friday as well. Probably gonna have to be after dark with lights in the cold. Thanks.

There could be a million better options since I haven't lived there in years, but if it's just a workout and time is tight - could you do repeats on the gravel road that climbs the west side of Green Mountain in Lakewood? You park at the Rooney Road TH, cross 470 on the bridge and then it goes up to the top of Green Mountain from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    There could be a million better options since I haven't lived there in years, but if it's just a workout and time is tight - could you do repeats on the gravel road that climbs the west side of Green Mountain in Lakewood? You park at the Rooney Road TH, cross 470 on the bridge and then it goes up to the top of Green Mountain from there.
    Ok thanks. That may be a good option.

Winter bikepacking is interesting. I guess we'll keep doing this until it snows.Name:  16109316404690.jpeg
Views: 1298
Size:  84.4 KBName:  16109316406121.jpeg
Views: 1305
Size:  108.3 KBName:  16109316406242.jpeg
Views: 1293
Size:  94.7 KBName:  16109316408143.jpeg
Views: 970
Size:  136.2 KBName:  16109316408264.jpeg
Views: 815
Size:  87.4 KBName:  16109316408445.jpeg
Views: 785
Size:  83.7 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Relatively straight forward gravel routes near Denver? I assume east or in the foothills somewhere. Need to head down that way for work this week and also just starting a program with a coach using Training Peaks. Really don't want to miss a ride on my first week. Need somewhere to ride on Wednesday night to do some intervals. Friday as well. Probably gonna have to be after dark with lights in the cold. Thanks.
    May be too far, but the area between Boulder Reservoir, Lyons and Longmont has alot gravel. Its mostly hard packed dirt with some loose gravel on top. Flat and rolling terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I'm torn on the cambium. I have an original C17 (non carved) and have mostly designated it to commuting. For long rides and gravel races I go for the wtb rocket (142mm). At least in my opinion, the C17 isn't quite as comfy/shock absorbing as others have described. My mtn bike came with a volt and that was the first part I took off and switched to the rocket. Gravel bike, I alternate between the cambium and recently am trying a fabric scoop... the seat depends on the week and how much I commute vs. more training type rides. Still inconclusive with the fabric saddle. The other weird thing, whereas other saddles I can pretty much just eyeball the level and rail position, the cambium I feel like I can never quite get the angle right. Either I'm sitting to far forward on the nose or too much ass pressure on the rear, and longer rides I feel pressure in parts without any contours in the saddle. With that said, I would definitely consider the carved version over the regular version.
    Anyone have experience with the C19? I like my B17 well enough but a saddle that can handle wet weather, stream crossings, mud, and cold better would be great. I like how wide the B17 is, which is why I’m considering the C19 over the C17.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    May be too far, but the area between Boulder Reservoir, Lyons and Longmont has alot gravel. Its mostly hard packed dirt with some loose gravel on top. Flat and rolling terrain.

Thanks. I don't know where I am staying yet tomorrow. 10 hour drive. I have a 50 minute workout to do tomorrow. I might stop half way somewhere in WY and ride while it's daylight then finish the drive and get to D town later. Might make sense to avoid some of the Front Range evening traffic.

Not gravel, but if you ever need a quick stop to stretch your legs and ride the Casper, WY Platte River Trail works in a pinch.

Monster gravel - Poseidon Redwood?

https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...35715148546199

I’m thinking of joining the club. Longtime mountain biker with a mid travel 29er, but no gravel knowledge. I have an old road bike, but I hate getting buzzed by cars.

Curious what the collective thinks about this or other suggestions. Seems like a bargain?

I HATE the square taper BB, but hopefully with a little diligence it will last a season, and I would consider the crankset a consumable item.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I'm all for buying from a local shop, but for $2k it's tough to beat this: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...nfarbe=GN%2FBK

Not sure what size you'd want, but M's are available in March. If you go for it you'd have to move quick when they become available - these things seem to sell out really fast.
    I just got a Jamis Renegade for 1600. Steel frame, carbon fork, GRX components, 2x10 gearing, thru axels, braze ons everywhere. Looked at others but none had the same value imo. Going tomorrow to try and get the same bike for my wife before stock is all gone for the year.
    https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegades3.html

^^ I was hoping to get one of those Canyons but they kept pushing back the expected delivery dates, so I ended up getting a Specialized Diverge Comp that was miraculously sitting on the shop floor in Helena in my size.

I haven't had a non-mountain bike in over 20 years, it sure is fun to be able to go fast for a long time with seemingly no effort. Now I just gotta figure out why the left brake has a piece of loose plastic rattling around inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Now I just gotta figure out why the left brake has a piece of loose plastic rattling around inside it.
    When you figure this out let me know. My ultegra hydro mechanical has this dull dinging noise from the bars that I can't for the life of me get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...35715148546199

I’m thinking of joining the club. Longtime mountain biker with a mid travel 29er, but no gravel knowledge. I have an old road bike, but I hate getting buzzed by cars.

Curious what the collective thinks about this or other suggestions. Seems like a bargain?

I HATE the square taper BB, but hopefully with a little diligence it will last a season, and I would consider the crankset a consumable item.
    I personally would hate to be pushing 2.35 tires on my gravel rides, which are more in the dirt road/rough pavement class, but if your definition of gravel is more Jeep trail/light single track oriented, it would work. Lots of options around in the low $1000 range from most major brands if you don't mind Sora or Claris drive train.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I personally would hate to be pushing 2.35 tires on my gravel rides, which are more in the dirt road/rough pavement class, but if your definition of gravel is more Jeep trail/light single track oriented, it would work. Lots of options around in the low $1000 range from most major brands if you don't mind Sora or Claris drive train.
    Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the Poseidon will seem more like a crappy mountain bike with different bars. In stock form, it wouldn’t even be that much lighter than my mountain bike.

^^^ agree on the above if you are riding gravel - but for bikepacking, I like the extra cushion of a 29x2.3 for long days of riding (mountain west). When I lived in the midwest, I'd do 1.9 or 2.0 for gravel riding on my MTB

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I realize it's almost spring now, I should have posted these in here earlier.... anyone in need of some new drop bar Bar Mitts?

G-swap post

Wow. I might actually bikepack this year!

Couple buddies and I are thinking of riding the bikes with skis from Bozeman to Beartooth Pass (memorial day weekend?) and back.

Better option than using Gravelmaps.com for routefinding? Trail creek > frontage roads > Gardiner > through the park on main park roads?

Would be one night bivy in the park on the way there and back. Camp at the bottom of the switchies at the pass once we get there.

Tips for route, etc great appreciated.

That sounds very long with ski stuff. My only tip is to use google maps. find a level to zoom into that allows gravel to populate (as compared to paved near you). Or, look for routes via Strava?

Watch for the next TR from Shillingsworth - it should be an epic recount of his AZ300(400?) ride this past weekend

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I have a buddy who uses gaia gps app and likes it. I haven't tried it yet.

Definitely not an expert and would love to hear other mags' thoughts, but Gaia GPS + Google Maps (offline) would seem a like a good combo during the ride. Ahead of the ride I'd also check the Strava route finder as griz mentioned.