Page 16 of 99 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Vaya is good. Nice looking ride. Not sure of the mud clearance on those, but as long as you stay off the clay roads during rain, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Ughh we had some of the s. Utah clay roads while raining. No bike has enough clearance for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Outer Shell bags? I'm considering the Half Framebag for day rides and overnighters.
    Friend really likes their handlebar bag.

Just finished, aside from fine-tuning fit a bit. Road riding around me is not pleasant, but I wanted something that I could hit the road on. Particularly to get to some of the mellower trail bits and do some combo rides. Gravel/dirt stuff by me would entail more pavement time to get to (see the road riding sux bit) and if I'm going to drive to ride, it may as well be mtb. Something I could hang fenders and racks on if wanted.

Have forgotten how quick a decent non-mtb can be, and dear fucking jebus wept, why did it take the drop bar world so long to embrace wide bars???? These 52cm Ritcheys are more comfy than any "wide" 46cm bars I've ever had in the past. I say that as a little dude. medium/52cm frame, 60mm stem. Fell like a 70mm may be the sweet spot. I had this and an old 90mm kicking around, and the 90mm is for sure too long. Will get a few rides in and see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9148.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	326499

Name:	IMG_9149.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	326500

Name:	IMG_9150.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	326501
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Just finished, aside from fine-tuning fit a bit. Road riding around me is not pleasant, but I wanted something that I could hit the road on. Particularly to get to some of the mellower trail bits and do some combo rides. Gravel/dirt stuff by me would entail more pavement time to get to (see the road riding sux bit) and if I'm going to drive to ride, it may as well be mtb. Something I could hang fenders and racks on if wanted.

Have forgotten how quick a decent non-mtb can be, and dear fucking jebus wept, why did it take the drop bar world so long to embrace wide bars???? These 52cm Ritcheys are more comfy than any "wide" 46cm bars I've ever had in the past. I say that as a little dude. medium/52cm frame, 60mm stem. Fell like a 70mm may be the sweet spot. I had this and an old 90mm kicking around, and the 90mm is for sure too long. Will get a few rides in and see.

Name:	IMG_9148.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	326499

Name:	IMG_9149.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	326500

Name:	IMG_9150.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	326501
    Nice. Emailed a dude yesterday selling that exact bike on PB. Looks like a great rig for the price.

I emailed the guys at Knolly again this AM. There are alot of other cheaper bikes, but I have always loved what they have done and have had a relationship with them for 5 or 6 years now. Want to exhaust any possibility of getting on a Cache before I move onto another bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Nice. Emailed a dude yesterday selling that exact bike on PB. Looks like a great rig for the price.

I emailed the guys at Knolly again this AM. There are alot of other cheaper bikes, but I have always loved what they have done and have had a relationship with them for 5 or 6 years now. Want to exhaust any possibility of getting on a Cache before I move onto another bike.
    A Cache frame is high on the want list. But...

1. This just (likely? maybe?) won't see but a portion of my ride time.

2. I built this up (not counting stuff in the parts bin) for about the cost of a Cache frame/fork.

It started as a project to replace my old/too small and uncomfortable road bike last fall when I was rehabing from a hand injury. Thought I was going to be on the road for a while before hitting dirt again.

This is much more comfortable.

I'm about 3 second from pulling trigger on the 2019 Trig Adventure. I just can't justify cost of the Knolly right now. If down the road I make some real loot I would like the Ti Knolly anyway. Then build up a truly drool worthy rig.

For now I think this bike looks like a good do it all decently spec'd at a fair price.

FUN!

Done deal. Fucking stoked. It's just a cool looking bike. The Cutthoats, etc are probably better bikes, but I really like how this Trig looks. Gonna get a frame bag, etc and get my zen pedal on.

As much as I REALLY love MTB and the adrenaline, I have been throughly enjoying just cruising and looking at shit.

Well this is just stupid cheap and seems to be a popular bike packing choice. I guess with the skinniest 29er tires it might not be the worst thing ever on pavement. I probably would have bought this if I didn't just buy the ragley.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=99407

Well this is just stupid cheap and seems to be a popular bike packing choice. I guess with the skinniest 29er tires it might not be the worst thing ever on pavement. I probably would have bought this if I didn't just buy the ragley.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=99407
    hell of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    hell of a deal
    Anyone want to buy a Ragley Trig??? Kidding......sort of. Had I held on one more day I would probably have that Woodsmoke getting mailed to me instead. Shite. Oh well. The Trig will be fun I'm sure.

If it helps I think you'll enjoy the trig over the woodsmoke. I've heard of several that had trouble with that frame. Not sure if it was related to specific years or what...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The spec on the Woodsmoke is mediocre. The Ragley isn't fancy but I'd actually keep it and use the parts on it... Don't think I'd do that with the Woodsmoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well, did you want drop bar setup or flat? Swapping from one to the other ain't cheap. 27.5 or 29/700? Which Trig did you order?

ETA: just looked it up and saw. 650b for your Trig. So then it hinges on do you want a drop bar setup or flat.

Or buy the Trig (or other frame) frame only and build it up with new/used/deals/parts bin bits. I put mine together pretty cheaply, but it's also the stuff I wanted, without having to swap shit stock stuff out.

Well, did you want drop bar setup or flat? Swapping from one to the other ain't cheap. 27.5 or 29/700? Which Trig did you order?

ETA: just looked it up and saw. 650b for your Trig. So then it hinges on do you want a drop bar setup or flat.

Or buy the Trig (or other frame) frame only and build it up with new/used/deals/parts bin bits. I put mine together pretty cheaply, but it's also the stuff I wanted, without having to swap shit stock stuff out.
    I definitely wanted drop bar. Was actually surprised I couldn't find anyone running drops on the woodsmoke. I went with a complete bike instead of just a frame mostly because I am actually really busy now and just don't have the time to build up a bike....unless I want to source parts and build late at night and wouldn't actually be able to ride the bike for over a month probably. This way I can get out and start riding and it does have some pretty nice parts. Glad it's ready to go tubeless. Hydro brakes, etc. I can slowly upgrade a part at a time which is what I do with every bike anyway. The trig seems like a good base frame to build up something unique and cool. Plus, I think it will just be a faster bike than the woodsmoke even if the woodsmoke was setup with skinny fast rolling 29er tires.

I definitely wanted drop bar. Was actually surprised I couldn't find anyone running drops on the woodsmoke. I went with a complete bike instead of just a frame mostly because I am actually really busy now and just don't have the time to build up a bike....unless I want to source parts and build late at night and wouldn't actually be able to ride the bike for over a month probably. This way I can get out and start riding and it does have some pretty nice parts. Glad it's ready to go tubeless. Hydro brakes, etc. I can slowly upgrade a part at a time which is what I do with every bike anyway. The trig seems like a good base frame to build up something unique and cool. Plus, I think it will just be a faster bike than the woodsmoke even if the woodsmoke was setup with skinny fast rolling 29er tires.
    All of that. Not that I'm tied to any brand, but this one is hard to go wrong with. Especially if you wanted a complete with a drop bar setup.

For me, it was the frame only availability, steel frame/fork, and lots of compatibility with parts on all my other bikes/stuff in the parts bin.

IMO, the only good bit about that Woodsmoke deal is if you want that particular bike, or the frame.

All of that. Not that I'm tied to any brand, but this one is hard to go wrong with. Especially if you wanted a complete with a drop bar setup.

For me, it was the frame only availability, steel frame/fork, and lots of compatibility with parts on all my other bikes/stuff in the parts bin.

IMO, the only good bit about that Woodsmoke deal is if you want that particular bike, or the frame.
    Yeah, I'm stoked the more that I think about it. The woodsmoke isn't really what i'm after now, but that price is super good even if you just wanted the frame.

On the Trig have you found the reach to be super long? Thats like the only gripe I have heard from any review. Not really a problem unless you have short arms which I think I do.

Not to me. 52cm frame, 60mm stem, 52cm bars. It's longer than any of my prior road or cross bikes. Coming on the heels of getting used to longer mtb setups though, it feels much better than the prior road bikes. Probably just means my prior bikes were too small.

I'm 5'8' on a good day, average arms and legs with a short torso.

Have only had a few short rides on it though.

Any rec's for a solid set of 1x cranks for gravel riding - around $150? I don't care about chaining or BB compatibility as I'll have to buy each of those. I'm leaning towards the Shimano GRX 600s with the 40t ring but am open to suggestions more on the XC mountain bike side of things.

I've bought 3 sets of Praxis cranks recently. Really nice inexpensive pieces. Found carbon ones on EBay. Aluminum axle so light. Direct mount 40 tooth chainring.

If you want to go with Shimano, can also go with a MTB crankset. Would need an aftermarket chainring as Shimano stock rings generally only go up-to 34T, but I've ran SLX previously and running XT cranks now.

That said, depending where you're riding, you may not necessarily want to run a 40T ring.

So I know I will wind up doing some serious "underbiking" on the Trig. Aka taking it on trails I should probably have a much more capable bike on while trying to connect fire roads, etc.

Is there any reason I can't run an MTB fork if the wheels size and axle matches my gravel wheels? As long as the axle to crown is the same? I know it will theoretically mess up the geometry of the bike and I haven't gone as far as asking Ragley if this is OK yet. Quick internet search yielded no results. Not a whole lot of people actually riding this bike yet or at least posting reviews/builds so far.

If I were to run a suspension fork it would be setup really firm anyway so as not to have alot of sag. Just to save on the biggest hits.

I know I am thinking too far ahead, but that's what I always do.

Don't know if it really applies to modern frames, but in the old days some frames folded the front end as the tubing wasn't engineered for the stresses of a suspension fork.

They should have info published, or make a call to them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Not to me. 52cm frame, 60mm stem, 52cm bars. It's longer than any of my prior road or cross bikes. Coming on the heels of getting used to longer mtb setups though, it feels much better than the prior road bikes. Probably just means my prior bikes were too small.

I'm 5'8' on a good day, average arms and legs with a short torso.

Have only had a few short rides on it though.
    Scrub you got 650's on that rig?

Where did you fellas buy them?