Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2439
    I'm interested to hear more about the R+. Those super versatile bikes intrigue me, even though I know I'm prob better off with something racier.

I also don't get the appeal of 2x for gravel. I like the 12s on my mtb, but on the road, or even on dirt roads, I really appreciate having closer gears. I guess it's because of my road racing background.

Another thing I don't get is why so many gravel bikes come with such big gearing. 34/34 is not low enough if one rides on the rugged terrain everyone seems to claim they seek. GRX chainsets are available in 46/30 and 48/31, which are more realistic. Spin to win!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

on the topic of 1x. I'm running 36t up front with an 11-42 on the back. More than enough to get up basically any climb no matter the surface, and can still hit like ~40 km/h on the road. sure the spacing isn't there, but I'm less sensitive to that when I'm offroad.

that all said. the maintenance on the bike (or lack there of) is amazing. always running great. minimal amount of cleaning. no chain rub.

would never go 2x on a CX or gravel bike at this point unless I was doing some cross country trek with a fully loaded bike. even still maybe just go 11-46....

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    as we are in the wet months now, anyone running fenders for their gravel rides? My fender opinions have evolved a lot over the years as a long time high miles bike commuter. I started out resisting fenders all together as a dumb tough guy weight weenie, then a few years of fucking around with clip ons and lately several years with full metal velo orange beauties and love them on my do it all road, commuter, light service gravel steed. I haven't rolled fenders yet on burlier gravel roads or trail, I'm considering getting a pair for a new bike which I expect to get more medium to heavy gravel service on. Obviously I need decent clearance between tire and fender, as the odds of kicking up a stick or stone go up a lot on rougher surface and knobbier tires. And obviously I'd be pulling them off for drier months/rides, but I'm lazy enough to avoid ride by ride swaps (if you have any experience with fenders, you know this is a pain in the ass). Anyone have experiences to share? thanks.

I'm on a 40t ring with 10-42 out back. I've hit the limits also but haven't found myself wanting a wider range most of the time. There have been some steeps to grind up in the 40x42 and I've spun out on the 40x10 but it isn't happening regularly. Like any bike there are times when the tighter spacing of the 2x would be nice but it's similar to the problem above - just not happening enough to make it a big issue for me.

I have considered throwing on one of my 9-46 e*thirteen cassettes to see if I like it better or if the jumps between gears would start getting on my nerves. I think the 9t would be nice occasionally but I'm not sure I'd ever use the 46t.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    This road looks amazing and very Missoula-esque. Still looking for more of these in the Kalispell area - there appear to be a ton of great gravel up north of Whitefish. Speaking of which, are you coming this direction to ride "The Last Best Ride" next year?
    I am pretty sure this is just like 3/4 mile of old road on the side of Mount Sentinel above the Mo-Z. Is that right, jamal?

Yeah that's it.

Out along the river to "deer creek sneak," around the back of university mtn, little bit of trail out to that road, then down the moz is a nice cx/gravel bike loop. Less than 20mi, reasonable amount of climbing. Probably going to do that today.

E- did do that today, it was nice.
    Last edited by jamal; 12-09-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I'm aware of it but haven't looked at the details. Have been meaning to do the pancake ride and also get up that way more often. I usually go up to Polson for the speedwagon race in the spring, that one is great.
    Brad threatens every year but this could be the last go of the pancake ride so you better jump on it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    as we are in the wet months now, anyone running fenders for their gravel rides? My fender opinions have evolved a lot over the years as a long time high miles bike commuter. I started out resisting fenders all together as a dumb tough guy weight weenie, then a few years of fucking around with clip ons and lately several years with full metal velo orange beauties and love them on my do it all road, commuter, light service gravel steed. I haven't rolled fenders yet on burlier gravel roads or trail, I'm considering getting a pair for a new bike which I expect to get more medium to heavy gravel service on. Obviously I need decent clearance between tire and fender, as the odds of kicking up a stick or stone go up a lot on rougher surface and knobbier tires. And obviously I'd be pulling them off for drier months/rides, but I'm lazy enough to avoid ride by ride swaps (if you have any experience with fenders, you know this is a pain in the ass). Anyone have experiences to share? thanks.
    Big fan of fenders here for Fall through Spring in the PNW. I just leave them on as if it is nice out I’m on the MTB. I use the planet bike cascadia metal fenders with 45c riddlers. Other than the occasional rock zinging through I don’t think about them. All rides include the full mix of surfaces.

I’ve heard great things about the PDW Full Metal Fenders. If they fit your bike and are ok with the cost, I’d go with them. They don’t have a set that fits my 650b wheel set, so I actually run their Oragami fenders. Less protection for sure, but they are easy to take on and off, lightweight and cheap. I’ve been pretty happy with them.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks ShoNuff and Supermoon! I'm also in the PNW. I think I've narrowed options down to the Planet Bike Cascadia ALX set.. I like the suggestion of the Oragamis as well for a quick solution when rolling a 650b wheelset with burlier tires.

Yeah that's it.

Out along the river to "deer creek sneak," around the back of university mtn, little bit of trail out to that road, then down the moz is a nice cx/gravel bike loop. Less than 20mi, reasonable amount of climbing. Probably going to do that today.

E- did do that today, it was nice.
    We are close enough that it would be fun to head out to Missoula for a ride or two next year. Are you able to ride these roads all winter also?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I am a pitiful OP of this thread, but glad you guys have taken off and run with it.

The Mountain Why and Ice and Palms has gotten me inspired to do at least one bikepack/touring/ride to ski adventure this spring.

Thinking of riding from here in Bozeman to the Beartooths or something else? Hope to talk another friend into it.

A trailer-less setup seems like the way to go? Forces you to pack lighter as well. These guys look like they have it dialed setup wise.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/ice-and-palms-film/

Your experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    We are close enough that it would be fun to head out to Missoula for a ride or two next year. Are you able to ride these roads all winter also?
    Not really, you get a few days of dry pavement here and there usually, but the dirt roads and trails get the snow packed down so it all winds up pretty slick. I would kind of like a fat bike but those are hard to come by right now, my shop was able to get one that I know of and it seems we're unlikely to get any more.

Not really, you get a few days of dry pavement here and there usually, but the dirt roads and trails get the snow packed down so it all winds up pretty slick. I would kind of like a fat bike but those are hard to come by right now, my shop was able to get one that I know of and it seems we're unlikely to get any more.
    What size frame do you ride? I've been thinking about selling mine and with my 29+ bike I might be able to do the riding i want to in the winter with just a different set of tires.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Generally an XL but I'm not really serious about it. If I spend a bunch of money on stuff this winter it's going to be ski related.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I am a pitiful OP of this thread, but glad you guys have taken off and run with it.

The Mountain Why and Ice and Palms has gotten me inspired to do at least one bikepack/touring/ride to ski adventure this spring.

Thinking of riding from here in Bozeman to the Beartooths or something else? Hope to talk another friend into it.

A trailer-less setup seems like the way to go? Forces you to pack lighter as well. These guys look like they have it dialed setup wise.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/ice-and-palms-film/

Your experiences?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice-and-Palms-Film-1-2000x1334.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	352461

Yeah no.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    ^^^ yeah, I have no intention of that insanity. Pedaling a bike with my skis in the spring to go ski corn......that sounds like the potential for some Type 2 suffer/fun.

I am in the market for a gravel-type bike right now. I currently only have a mountain bike so this will be for everything else, including commuting, taking the dog for neighborhood spins, mellow singletrack with the kids, etc.

I was going to wait until spring but it seems like a questionable idea, with supply issues and all. I am 5'9" with a short-ass inseam, like 29". Any suggestions on what bikes I should be looking in the sub $2k range that are actually available right now?

Jamal, you have anything that fits this criteria at your shop (I don't even know which one it is...)?

I'm all for buying from a local shop, but for $2k it's tough to beat this: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...nfarbe=GN%2FBK

Not sure what size you'd want, but M's are available in March. If you go for it you'd have to move quick when they become available - these things seem to sell out really fast.

^That is a really good deal. The new GRX stuff is very, very good across all levels, solid AL frame, good tires.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I'm at missoula bicycle works, although not right now during the winter so I haven't looked at what's on the floor very closely in awhile. But we do a pretty good job of keeping Kona roves in stock. This one is pretty solid

https://www.konaworld.com/rove_dl.cfm

About the only downside is that it has mechanical brakes, but to get hydro you have to spend quite a bit more for the ltd. There might be a couple of aluminum Libres there, possibly an Orbea Terra that might fit you with 1x GRX, aluminum, msrp of 2k, but I think on sale right now. Cannondale's topstone is pretty good too and the aluminum grx model is like 1750. Other stuff we carry but don't usually keep around are bianchi, all city, surly, oh, and evil.

I'm looking for a new cx bike this year and am leaning toward another orbea. They call it a "all-road/gravel" but it still has racey geo and better spec than the similarly priced super x.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...t/terra-m20-1x
    Last edited by jamal; 01-07-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks!

It's cold out there, but the pavement is dry and clear and somehow I managed to go on 5 real rides this week (plus a little zwift). I should probably consider going skiing one of these days.

Name:	IMG_20210105_145445603_HDR (1).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	357293

Name:	IMG_20210108_152909772.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	357294

Name:	IMG_20210109_141930363_HDR.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	501.6 KB 
ID:	357295

The insulated winter shoes have been pretty great but I think I need some bar mitts or heated gloves or something. It hasn't been too bad but the hands are definitely borderline where everything else is pretty good.

This vid is pretty interesting, although a little heavy on the talking and not much riding.

https://youtu.be/wgIufJOnnEc
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

It's cold out there, but the pavement is dry and clear and somehow I managed to go on 5 real rides this week (plus a little zwift). I should probably consider going skiing one of these days.

Name:	IMG_20210105_145445603_HDR (1).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	357293

Name:	IMG_20210108_152909772.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	357294

Name:	IMG_20210109_141930363_HDR.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	501.6 KB 
ID:	357295

The insulated winter shoes have been pretty great but I think I need some bar mitts or heated gloves or something. It hasn't been too bad but the hands are definitely borderline where everything else is pretty good.
    Way to get after it Jamal.