Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Feels good getting back on the gravel. I get antsy if I don't ride, but get kinda burned out on MTB this time of year. Gravel is a great alternative.

I've been pretty obsessed with Barn Find Hunter and car revival vids on YouTube. As a result, I've been paying a lot more attention to the stuff in people's fields, canopies, and barns on my rides. Turns out there are a ton of old cars along one of my go-to routes (like a '64 Impala that looks to be in pretty good shape). It's gotten me really motivated to get out and see what else is out there.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    How was this trip? I've been thinking of doing something similar.
    yup, long days, but really nice trip. Cool mix of fire roads, some singletrack, gravel roads, a bit of pushing, and a bit of pavement.

day1 (WS to fernie) was 80km, and not single person. Camping, or hotel at Frt steele. We parked truck at the end of whiteswan for the 2 days of the trip.

message me if you need more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Has anyone used their stainless water bottle as a 'cook pot' to heat water for freeze dried meals? Seems like it would save some weight/space. My 16 oz bottle seems perfect for many meals that require 2 cups of boiling water.
    That's actually an awesome idea. I use the old 'cat food can stove' with a small titanium pot, but the water bottle might actually cut some redundancy too.

Gearing question = my "gravel" bike (currently in more of a commuter mode) is in need of some desperate tlc with the drivetrain. Probably 6,000+ miles on the original sprocket and front mech, and I swapped the cassette and rear mech last summer. It's a 10spd double 50-34 front (tiagra) and a 11-36t rear with a 9spd deore derailleur. Bike has rim brakes.

I generally liked the double for most of my rides in Oregon, but now I'm in southern Arizona. I see this bike serving more as a commuter and less daily gravel rides that I was able to loop out of my door while in Oregon with a lot of steep climbs. So, I'm sort of open to the idea of a 1x. Maybe a cheap NX 11-42 rear? shifting with a microshift barcon as a lot of the more 'modern' groups are either for road bikes (smaller cassettes) or disc brakes. Then a 36 or 38 front sprocket? Or, keep the double... I always wanted slightly lower in the front still, but the 5-bolt shimano cranks, I think, are limited to a 34 front as the smallest sprocket.

Any ideas or comments? I can see 'upgrading' my gravel bike in the next 2-3 years anyways but this bike has sentimental value at this point and I think will always double as a perfect commuter. As such, not looking to spend more than like $200ish on new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    That's actually an awesome idea. I use the old 'cat food can stove' with a small titanium pot, but the water bottle might actually cut some redundancy too.
    So I tested my 16oz stainless bottle on my DIY beer can alcohol stove and with 1oz of fuel, I could not get it to come to a full boil. Maybe the flames were too wide and I was loosing BTUs around the sides of the bottle. I'm going to make a cat food/carbon fiber stove to see if it works any better than my beer can version. Otherwise a wider pot will be necessary.

FWIW - the bottle showed no obvious issues after the tests beyond needing something to grab it with when hot (as it doesn't have a handle).

If you like barn find bike stuff you'll like the full XTR early 90s mountain bike I found abandoned today. Even has grey XTR shifter and brake cables

Pics plz

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    If you like barn find bike stuff you'll like the full XTR early 90s mountain bike I found abandoned today. Even has grey XTR shifter and brake cables
    nice score. what bike?

Just a KHS True Temper hardtail

Zoom in for the fork that is on it

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Gearing question = my "gravel" bike (currently in more of a commuter mode) is in need of some desperate tlc with the drivetrain. Probably 6,000+ miles on the original sprocket and front mech, and I swapped the cassette and rear mech last summer. It's a 10spd double 50-34 front (tiagra) and a 11-36t rear with a 9spd deore derailleur. Bike has rim brakes.

I generally liked the double for most of my rides in Oregon, but now I'm in southern Arizona. I see this bike serving more as a commuter and less daily gravel rides that I was able to loop out of my door while in Oregon with a lot of steep climbs. So, I'm sort of open to the idea of a 1x. Maybe a cheap NX 11-42 rear? shifting with a microshift barcon as a lot of the more 'modern' groups are either for road bikes (smaller cassettes) or disc brakes. Then a 36 or 38 front sprocket? Or, keep the double... I always wanted slightly lower in the front still, but the 5-bolt shimano cranks, I think, are limited to a 34 front as the smallest sprocket.

Any ideas or comments? I can see 'upgrading' my gravel bike in the next 2-3 years anyways but this bike has sentimental value at this point and I think will always double as a perfect commuter. As such, not looking to spend more than like $200ish on new parts.
    Sram's apex/rival/force 1x11 will all handle wide range cassettes and use a clutch derailleur with a road shifter/brake lever, as will shimano's new grx.

I went with the sram stuff on my cx bike a couple years ago and am really happy with it. More than $200 though after you buy the shifter, left brake lever, derailleur, cassette, chainring, chain though. Apex plus a shimano slx casette and whatever chainring you can find for cheapest is still probably like $300+

A 40t ring with an 11-42 cassette should be plenty of range on both ends.

Just a KHS True Temper hardtail

Zoom in for the fork that is on it

sweet score (if you want to sell/full or parts, let me know)

I'll be listing on Ebay the M900 parts, including canti brakes soon.

I've got XTR 8 speed cassettes as well. It is time to clean out the old stuff I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Sram's apex/rival/force 1x11 will all handle wide range cassettes and use a clutch derailleur with a road shifter/brake lever, as will shimano's new grx.

I went with the sram stuff on my cx bike a couple years ago and am really happy with it. More than $200 though after you buy the shifter, left brake lever, derailleur, cassette, chainring, chain though. Apex plus a shimano slx casette and whatever chainring you can find for cheapest is still probably like $300+

A 40t ring with an 11-42 cassette should be plenty of range on both ends.
    Good info, that's enough to get me looking. Another option could be cheap brake levers and a microshift thumb shifter.

Gawd this Sram double tap shit sucks

Gawd this Sram double tap shit sucks
    I like my Rival brifters.

Anybody riding 29er MTB tires on their gravel bike? My Kona Sutra LTD will fit a set of Maxxis CrossMark 2.1s that I have, which are weighted towards XC, and I wonder if I should give it a shot.

Anybody riding 29er MTB tires on their gravel bike? My Kona Sutra LTD will fit a set of Maxxis CrossMark 2.1s that I have, which are weighted towards XC, and I wonder if I should give it a shot.
    My 2.25" Ardents fit perfectly.. and we have the same bike Makes the ride a little more cushy, slower rolling on fast pavement of course though. 95% of the time my 44 Riddlers are the weapon of choice though.

Maybe a bit heavy even set up tubeless. On the other hand they would provide good off road traction and some cushion. Give 'er a try, report back.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I'm waffling between fatter tires for late/early season riding vs. fenders. The 2.1s will give more float on soft dirt roads (particularly in the Spring), but the fenders might save the drive train and my ass from getting soaked/gritty. Fenders over 2.1s seems silly.

I'm waffling between fatter tires for late/early season riding vs. fenders. The 2.1s will give more float on soft dirt roads (particularly in the Spring), but the fenders might save the drive train and my ass from getting soaked/gritty. Fenders over 2.1s seems silly.
    I have the same bike as well. I stuck a 2.4 DHF in the front for an adventure race and it's awesome. Will throw a 2.1 Minion SS or something in the rear when I get around to it. I love it as an over-rubbered under-bike. You can ride some techy stuff on that bike with good tires.

For your situation, I'd definitely recommend going that route with just the front tire first. It hurts your rolling speed on pavement less, and still makes a huge difference on softer roads and such. And I see no reason to not run fenders with bigger tires. I don't commute on mine, but I still have a marshgaurd type fender on the front, and a similar jimmy-rigged one on the back all the time.

The other, more expensive option, is to get 27.5 wheels, and run it B+. I have a buddy that jammed a 2.8 into that frame with no clearance issues.....

Sounds like you may be talking about some singletrack and such. That's the only place I'd run MTB tires on a gravel bike, personally. For dirt and gravel roads, I think a 40 is plenty. I'm running 45s and think they're probably overkill for most stuff, including steep, loose descents. I think you lose more than you gain with big tires.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm on a set of 2.2 ikons. Not the fastest thing in town but very fun for mixed surfaces. I did a century over the weekend with 80 miles of dirt/20 tarmac - super comfy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_51860852305107_20191027_200947750.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	299900

Sent from my COL-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

I run 29 2.25 Vittoria Mezcals f/r, awesome for the pristine gravel around the boat, and not bad on some of the singletrack on Emerald and buff pass. But they are not so good for traction around corners at speed, and especially when wet. Using my full sus as a training bike for now, extra weight makes me stronger. Plus I'm old(er)... Planning on TD 2021, ITT but with goal of 30 days. Gonna test myself at SBT GRVL 2020. Volunteered this summer for a guaranteed entry. #runwhatyoubrung and all that.

I too was a dot watcher for this years' TD. Was inspired when I met Josh Kato at Orange Peel as he passed through. I used to live up Lynx Pass which is part of the GDMBR, and was initially inspired when, on my daily rides, would meet many of the racers as they passed through my neighborhood back in 2016/2017, Jay P. being one of them. Crazy how the TD has grown but it's still not sponsored, no reward...I hope it stays that way.

I'll be racing to bring more awareness to acquired brain injuries (brought on by disease and illnesses), and Encephalitis (swelling of the brain). I was stricken with it in 2015 and almost died or became a vegetable. I'm lucky to be where I'm at. Skiing was a major part of my recovery (once I was able to), and I feel very fortunate to have become addicted to my bike. I feel like, for the long term, cycling is what I have to do for continued recovery and brain health.

Glad to see some familiar mags posting in this thread. I can only take so much on the FB divide groups.

Cheers

Some pics from the summer, all on my Mezcals. Holy shit they are fast on gravel. EThirteen carbon rsl/tubeless setup seems to be great so far.

Emerald
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	301660

Riding back to steamboat from Radium
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	497.8 KB 
ID:	301661