Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    All a bunch of stupid internet shit on both sides. I don't know much about Jay P but his critiques seem a bit absurd. At the same time, having a social media film crew then dropping out (along with a few others) all because you weren't prepared for non-ideal conditions seems kinda shitty.
    Assuming you are referring to Lael, she scratched once she realized she was too far beyond her best time pace to catch up, and decided she'd rather scratch and be able to interact with her GF/film crew. At least she continued on and finished; I doubt she would have scratched had it not been for the "rules" and social media circus that was going on. She just wants to ride bikes. I agree it seems shitty to scratch just because you know you can't or won't win or beat your previous time. Things are never going to go 100% right. I'd love to be able to have enough time off to attempt that ride and would only care about finishing....

I missed the Jay P drama but sounds like the guy was being a douche. Criticizing Lael for having a film crew when he himself had one on TD some years ago and accusing her of going against the spirit of self-supported rides. Yet he has been caught and called out for blatently cheating by fellow racers - see Mike Curiak blog https://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2015...petervary.html.

The real story is Alexandra fucking killing it. Who cares about the above when she cranked that out on a gnarly single speed!
    Not only that but with 36x19 gearing. That’s a rugged gear ratio, especially on a 29er loaded with bikepacking gear.

Yeah and in those boots, too! Punk as fuck

Does this thing seem like it could be a perfect handlebar bag to keep a few beers cold during a ride?

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/acc...ck-Deluxe-Camo

Found a bubble in the tread of my 700x45 WTB Riddler rear tire yesterday after finally setting it up tubeless. It leaked like a sieve. I dropped a tube in mid-ride and the bubble went away and I enjoyed the rest of the ride. I'm not confident that even a patch will keep me from flatting on rocky single track, though.

Anyway, assuming I need a new tire (or set), I'm looking at the Riddler or the 700x43 Panaracer Gravel King SK. Does anyone have experience with both of these and can make a recommendation? The GK SK is about $20 less per tire (on sale).

I like WTB but every tire I’ve had of theirs is weepy AF. Never again.

I swear by Schwalbe g-ones, really fast and they have killer grip. They set up tubeless, wicked easy.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Unlike JA, my WTB Resolutes are not weepy and grip really well. Shitton of G-Ones at gravel events. I did pinch flat my rear, what a pain in the ass to fix, fucking mess.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

2nd for the Resolute. Good gravel tire.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had gravel kings on my old bike and kept them for the new bike, but have liked tge resolutes so much I haven't changed them. They roll almost as well and grip better. Bigger size also makes ride a bit more plush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Hadn’t looked at the resolutes, as they seemed more dirt/mud leaning due to the larger knobbies.

Just read an article that said they roll on pavement better than the Riddler.

Color me intrigued.

I was surprised at how fast the Resolutes rolled. I put them on my 29er hardtail for spring gravel last year. Seemed to hold air good for me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Bike packing bike is all packed up

Name:  68684542_10157263449710729_712559564309921792_n.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  226.5 KB

linking up this over 3 days next week with skibee. 100ish km/day and 3000-5000ft a day. (whiteswan to fernie, fernie to frt steel, frt steel back to truck) the road DOES go thru, but goggle doesn't believe me

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ram+...3d8d97!1m0!3e1

Loaded for bear ^^. Have a great grind.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Picked up a used Vagabond least week. It's more like a drop bar 29er than a road bike. I think it's gonna fit into the quiver quite nicely. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190803_175559.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	290109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190802_205050.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	290110

Sent from my COL-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

Great looking ride, but it seems a little odd to have a bike made for touring/bike packing built with a single speed.

Damn -- Alex Houchin is on fire. Won Tour Divide earlier this summer, and now won the Colorado Trail race. Both on a SS. https://bikepacking.com/news/alexand...do-trail-race/

Met her 7 years ago when I was living out the back of a small SUV. Gave her a ride across a part of SD because she was pretty bored of riding into headwinds for days on end. It was her first tour from Madison to Denver on a fixie wearing a backpack and Vibram 5-fingers. Apparently she just became even more of a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I was surprised at how fast the Resolutes rolled. I put them on my 29er hardtail for spring gravel last year. Seemed to hold air good for me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I’m reading the soft rubber on the Gravel King SK picks up small bits golf gravel that get thrown into the frame from the front tire. No bueno.

I did a 25 mile mixed surface ride yesterday with the tube and had no issues. Maybe I’ll just press my luck!

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Damn -- Alex Houchin is on fire. Won Tour Divide earlier this summer, and now won the Colorado Trail race. Both on a SS. https://bikepacking.com/news/alexand...do-trail-race/

Met her 7 years ago when I was living out the back of a small SUV. Gave her a ride across a part of SD because she was pretty bored of riding into headwinds for days on end. It was her first tour from Madison to Denver on a fixie wearing a backpack and Vibram 5-fingers. Apparently she just became even more of a beast.
    Seems like an awesome person, and have enjoyed reading about her wins this year with TD and now the Colorado trail.

Seems like an awesome person, and have enjoyed reading about her wins this year with TD and now the Colorado trail.
    https://bikesordeath.com/ep-16-alexandra-houchin/

Good podcast interview with her.

Knolly released a cache in steel, 1k for frame. Think I’ve found my next bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Has anyone used their stainless water bottle as a 'cook pot' to heat water for freeze dried meals? Seems like it would save some weight/space. My 16 oz bottle seems perfect for many meals that require 2 cups of boiling water.

Local bike shop went out of business. Bought a Felt Breed 20 for myself and a Breed 30 for the wife. Now we are gravel nerds I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    linking up this over 3 days next week with skibee. 100ish km/day and 3000-5000ft a day. (whiteswan to fernie, fernie to frt steel, frt steel back to truck) the road DOES go thru, but goggle doesn't believe me

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ram+...3d8d97!1m0!3e1
    How was this trip? I've been thinking of doing something similar.