Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Understandable, just seems like a slight slap in the face to folks who dream of a trip like this, train/take time off/save money for years to try to complete it.
    More like a slap upside the head to those whose only motivation is winning or records.

I think it makes a little more exciting. I bet Chris Seistrup agrees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    More like a slap upside the head to those whose only motivation is winning or records.
    Agreed. A lot of these riders seem to treat it like an all or nothing race. They go balls out and as soon as anything doesn't go right for them, they have to bail. On both the AZT300 and the AZTR I started a day ahead of the main group, and got caught by the fast guys around 2-4am on my second day (their first). Both years the first guy to catch me scratched within 3-4 hours, higher up on Mt Lemmon.

Then there's the guys who try and do the CTR with no camping gear. Real fucking smart... A bunch of them scratched a couple years ago when faced with a night climb up one of the high passes into a storm. They couldn't continue because none of them had brought a shelter, sleeping bag, or warm enough clothing to be out in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Understandable, just seems like a slight slap in the face to folks who dream of a trip like this, train/take time off/save money for years to try to complete it.
    Maybe those folks get extra bragging rights when they finish the tour the year so many pros backed out.

When you go into the red so far due to conditions I don’t blame anyone for taking a scratch. I’m not a pro by far but there have been times when I’ve bailed on a ride due to absurd temps/humidity that took me into a deficit I wasn’t prepared to deal with. I suspect that’s where Sofiane was when he turned around. It’s his call. Clearly, Seistrup had more in the tank/was at the right place at the right time. The guys who broke the trail appear to be suffering immensely.

JayP can suck it IMHO because he’s not out there suffering with the rest of them at present. How easy it must be to call the shots from the comfort of your armchair.

I was thinking about JayP's comments in the same way, but decided it was an interesting insight from someone who has been there and suffered through it.

Either way, this is making me want to give her a go next year.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    If you look at IG there is some interesting stuff about the riders who scratched.

Sofiane admitted that he is just a city boy and was in way over his head and downright scared in the snowstorm trying to get over to Steamboat. He readily admitted to not being prepared at all and was like, "It's a bike ride. I don't need to die over this stuff." He will be back and will crush.

Lael didn't want to race anymore, but says she is completing the ride "for fun" even though she has done it before. I think it was extra hard on her because her GF was there documenting the race and was within feet of Lael for 9 days and they couldn't talk to eachother at all. When Lael decided to scratch she brought her GF breakfast in bed at the lodge and was like, "I'm done." I think that's pretty sweet really.

Hands up if you knew Colorado would ruin this "race"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I think it was extra hard on her because her GF was there documenting the race and was within feet of Lael for 9 days and they couldn't talk to eachother at all.
    I saw a mention of this but don't know enough about the race, so... huh? Is it just me, or are any number of great bike events spoiled by becoming races?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I saw a mention of this but don't know enough about the race, so... huh? Is it just me, or are any number of great bike events spoiled by becoming races?
    Lael's GF has been her documentarian/photographer for at least a couple years now. Maybe longer? Part of the TD race is that you cannot have outside assistance about conditions ahead on the road, food drops, etc. In trying to maintain the integrity of the race and for a pure documentary experience Lael and her GF were in close proximity the entire race, but not speaking at all.

if people dont like the race element, or the rules of this race, you can just ride the course your self?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    if people dont like the race element, or the rules of this race, you can just ride the course your self?
    Definitely, anytime and any way you want. If I did the tour divide I'd have a hard time not detouring onto nearby trails where available and likely large parts of CDT. Then use the tour route to get to the next trail area.

I agree with rules like no food/water caches or having people drop stuff off for you as those are things that directly impact your ability to finish. But things like Lael getting an emotional boost from seeing her GF they take a little too seriously. She still has to turn the cranks the same as everyone else. Applying some of these rules to riders who aren't out to win it is comical too. Supposedly you have to start with the grand depart to get credit for riding the triple crown (GD, CTR, AZTR) to ensure everyone rides under the same weather/trail conditions. Well sure I can start with the group but I ride at half the pace of the fastest riders, so within hours and definitely days I could face vastly different conditions than them. On the tour divide the snow above Brush Mtn lodge would be all melted by the time I got there. Yup, same conditions....

the contenders experience similar conditions.

sounds like Kato spent the night in the hospital. bummer, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Wednesday Night Gravel Ride, somewhere in Plymouth VT, hometown of Calvin Coolidge.
    I’m the dork in the blue Strava Jersey.
    From this evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	286896
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Wednesday Night Gravel Ride, somewhere in Plymouth VT, hometown of Calvin Coolidge.
    I’m the dork in the blue Strava Jersey.
    From this evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	286896
    Is that a weekly ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Is that a weekly ride?

Yep, meets on the east side of the green in Woodstock on Wednesday at 5:30. First Wednesday of the month we ride MTB other than that it’s gravel bikes.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Oh fuck no! Why would you give up that hand position?
    Go on Now, get the Bonty!
    Just thought I'd follow up on this. The old nalgene insulation sleeve actually works pretty damn well as a chuck-bucket. However, my right knee does hit it when out of the saddle on climbs. It's soft so not that big of a deal. I'd prefer to have something purpose made and am still waffling between this top tube box or a handlebar bag like the burrito supreme. I know buttah's take on this. Any other thoughts from your gravel mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just thought I'd follow up on this. The old nalgene insulation sleeve actually works pretty damn well as a chuck-bucket. However, my right knee does hit it when out of the saddle on climbs. It's soft so not that big of a deal. I'd prefer to have something purpose made and am still waffling between this top tube box or a handlebar bag like the burrito supreme. I know buttah's take on this. Any other thoughts from your gravel mags?
    I have one of those burrito bags and love it. I also run chuck buckets occasionally but yes I hit my knees on the gravel bike (not on the mtn bike). Preferred setup for long gravel rides is the burrito bag on the bar and my revelate gas tank on the stem/toptube.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I used a thing called the bento box for my long races which was very similar to the mag tank, but smaller. I used it as a food storage container for eating constantly on long climbs. That position is great, as it doesn't get in the way at all or change the feeling of your steering.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

No idea about the burrito box (and no pic for me in link) but I like my older version of the top tube box. Holds a ton of stuff and is real easy to access, even while riding. Interferes a little when I stand to pedal, but Nothing annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    No idea about the burrito box (and no pic for me in link) but I like my older version of the top tube box. Holds a ton of stuff and is real easy to access, even while riding. Interferes a little when I stand to pedal, but Nothing annoying.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Revelate Mag Tank as it looks like it's super easy to access one handed while riding and even weighed down it won't effect the front end. I just know that Buttah's gonna remind me that he told me to get a top tube bag last week.

Edit - I ordered the Mag Tank. Found it at 20% off with free shipping and couldn't turn it down.
    Last edited by Peruvian; 06-27-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Red? ^^^ or light pink?

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Red? ^^^ or light pink?
    Red only if it matches like his nagene coozy does.

In looking through all my gear, what I can conclude is that orange colored stuff goes on sale a lot.

The mag-tank is black.