Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 94 95 96 97 98 99
Results 2,451 to 2,464 of 2464
    I ended up replacing the 42t w/ a 44t combined w/ 10-50 cassette, I’m happy with this decision
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    My most pressing question right now and one that I just can’t seem to figure out on my own… can I easily add another higher gear to this? Shimano 105 set with a 11-34 cassette and 50/34 chain rings. I want just one more gear to spin uphill in
    Rideit just mentioned the same, but an XT/XTR 11-40 cassette works just fine on my Ultegra 34/50 + old Ultegra RX rear derailleur. Your 105 would be the same with any Shimano 11-40.

FWIW 11-40 11 speed XT cassettes are on sale.

I have a 44T cassette that clears just fine with an Ultegra RX derailleur. Shifts kinda poorly though, I can see why the recommendation is 40 max.

Todays update:

Put a 30/46 Grx crank up front and changed the stem for a bit of rise just to give it a more civilized feeling on trails. Took it for a 35km ride this afternoon on gravel and the gearing I think will be a decent compromise. The wheel set I have being built will be in i25 rims so the thought is they should be able to transfer over to any other bike I end up therefore I don’t feel like I’m committing TOO much into this one to make it a gravel ride. I was thinking the same with the tires but muddy sections today/mud buildup wise the 38’s are probably the right choice. I figure if I get into anything too chundery/loose I’ll just walk the bike (thinking past rail trails)

Next update when the wheels and or bags come in.

Thanks for the advice and comments re: gearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently started looking into Gravel bikes as the weather gets nicer and I'm planning to commute to work 2-3x a week. Hoping to get some insights from the mag collective as I venture into another gear obsessive interest.

For context: The commute route entails 6 miles of a lot of shit roads and twists and turns. Also interested in using it for getting around town (Seattle, hilly) and taking it on some longer 20 mile fun bike path rides. 6'4, 220lbs and 35" inseam.

Currently on an 2000s 61cm Bianchi brava frame w/ Sora components that struggles with the commute.

Was hoping to keep it under $1500 but a lot of "best deals" are just north of that. It sounds like hydro brakes and grx400/600/800 would make things a lot more enjoyable, but there's so many elements to research and understand (tires, forks, tubes, seats, etc) that is pretty overwhelming and hard to tell what's actually a solid deal and what's sneaking shit in. Would want to put some racks for panniers on the back at least.

Top options so far:
    State 4130 CL bike - $1000 obo, mechanical disc brakes, 2 sets of tires
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...738304571.html

Mulekick 4130 - doesn't ship til summer, $1500, hydro brakes, steel frame + carbon fork
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...-grx-crank.htm

Mulekick 853 - $1700, scuffed cranks and drop outs, allegedly worth $5k, everything the 4130 has but better
    https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_...ls&ProdID=3630

Or I could get a super entry level but maybe? more solid canyon, polygon, all city bike for ~$1500

Thoughts? What am I missing on the current options? I know bikes direct/bike island aren't known for their super modern frames/geometrys but I don't really know the difference

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Recently started looking into Gravel bikes as the weather gets nicer and I'm planning to commute to work 2-3x a week. Hoping to get some insights from the mag collective as I venture into another gear obsessive interest.

For context: The commute route entails 6 miles of a lot of shit roads and twists and turns. Also interested in using it for getting around town (Seattle, hilly) and taking it on some longer 20 mile fun bike path rides. 6'4, 220lbs and 35" inseam.

Currently on an 2000s 61cm Bianchi brava frame w/ Sora components that struggles with the commute.

Was hoping to keep it under $1500 but a lot of "best deals" are just north of that. It sounds like hydro brakes and grx400/600/800 would make things a lot more enjoyable, but there's so many elements to research and understand (tires, forks, tubes, seats, etc) that is pretty overwhelming and hard to tell what's actually a solid deal and what's sneaking shit in. Would want to put some racks for panniers on the back at least.

Top options so far:

Mulekick 4130 - doesn't ship til summer, $1500, hydro brakes, steel frame + carbon fork

Mulekick 853 - $1700, scuffed cranks and drop outs, allegedly worth $5k, everything the 4130 has but better

Or I could get a super entry level but maybe? more solid canyon, polygon, all city bike for ~$1500

Thoughts? What am I missing on the current options? I know bikes direct/bike island aren't known for their super modern frames/geometrys but I don't really know the difference
    My reco in this range is usually the Jamis Renegade S2. I bit out of your budget at MSRP $2400 but very well spec'd for the price and you don't need to f around with guessing on used condition.

Colorado Cyclist / Planet Cyclery is going out of business, probably worth a look at their inventory clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Whoa, Colorado Cyclist is dunzo? Didn’t expect that.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post

Top options so far:

Brodie Ronin or Romulus?

Brodie Elan 2.0 is steel with GRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

The Lauf Seigla seems like a decent value, especially when it's on sale.
    Lynskey has a sale going on: https://lynskeyperformance.com/grave...-grx-600-2x11/
    I bought three bikes during the pandemic so my view on bike values may be somewhat skewed...no ragrets
    Also worth noting: Lynskey selling Ti gravel frames under $1k...I went with Microsoft AdventX and a cheap used WTB ST i23 wheelset from Craigslist, you can upgrade over time. Got new wheels this spring, maybe revisit drivetrain next year.

I want to build from frame up a size 49 Gravel bike for my wife (I can't figure out how to post photos )
    Do I go:
    Giant Revolt Advanced
    or
    (Fawk) Specialized Diverge?

Love my Revolt
    crab in my shoe mouth

Just upgraded the OEM ramblers on my rig to 48c Tufo Thundero HD’s. Supposedly lower rolling resistance despite the extra beef. Wanted something faster for Wild Horse next month.