Page 67 of 99 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2464
    Man, it was nice out there this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220610_150711363.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	418571

Name:	PXL_20220610_152407904.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	418572

But now the heat has arrived, and my kids are making hard to get out early.

Heat has started here as well. I’ll need to do some morning rides soon.

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	986.5 KB 
ID:	418595

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm scratching from the race and headed home.

The conditions have been unbelievable. My tracker stopped working coming down Koko Claims. I went too deep on day 1 and paid for it later. Seeing my tracker blink red added stress knowing that family and friends would be worried, so I was pushing harder on the morning of day 2 to get to Fernie. I called my wife and gave her some nearby race names that would be in the vicinity so she could have an idea of my location. More stress as those riders would pass me on the climbs. I slept 8 hrs near Butts Cabin and day 3 started promising. Short snow hikes on Cabin Pass and several miles on Galton were difficult. I got to the hotel in Eureka at 8pm with a small group.

I hadn't check the weather forecast until 10pm and see the turn for the worst. It will be brutal out there today.

Yes I slept and didn't make the decision until this morning. Good luck to those north of Whitefish.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Iowagriz- there is always next year and the year after that. sounds like you made a very good call. thanks for bringing us along for the ride! that forecast looks brutal (for riding bikes anyway )

Gaaaah! Damn dude! That’s a tough decision, but probably the right one to cut losses.
    I’ve got a friend/customer who isn’t racing but left from Banff with the group…I hope she finds a good spot to hunker down

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn griz. Tough decision I’m sure, but a good call.

yup. its "sporty" this year on the route

Congrats for starting the event

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Man, it was nice out there this morning.

Name:	PXL_20220610_150711363.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	418571

Name:	PXL_20220610_152407904.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	418572

But now the heat has arrived, and my kids are making hard to get out early.
    I thin’ we ride in the same area (I’m in niwot)… if you ever see a non-gravel looking guy riding a mint Revel, say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I thin’ we ride in the same area (I’m in niwot)… if you ever see a non-gravel looking guy riding a mint Revel, say hi.
    Will do. I'm in Lafayette, but often ride toward you.

Saw this guy on my evening ride a couple days ago:

Name:	PXL_20220612_024101250.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	418830

Before the smoke rolled in:

Name:	PXL_20220612_030635767.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	418831

Tour Divide Facebook post yesterday.

Received this from a racer this morning. Rough conditions!

"A message to all Tour Divide racers from the local Search and Rescue groups:-

There have been a number of rescues for Tour Divide racers in the Elkford - Fernie area in the last 72 hours. 6 in the course of today. Most have involved serious cases of hypothermia.

We would like to draw your attention to the challenges of the route from Fernie to the US border, which are potentially extreme with the current weather.

Fernie to the US border is typically 14-16 hours of riding. There is no food along the way. There is only one public shelter (Butts Cabin, about half way). The weather will be heavy precipitation for the next 24 hours, much of it snow at higher elevations. The risk of hypothermia is extreme and riders who are not sufficiently prepared are encouraged to delay this stage until the weather is more supportive.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Fernie Search and Rescue"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Well, gravel ain't for me after all... I'm a mountain bike kind of guy.

I've got a brand new (two rides on it, not a mark anywhere) mint Revel Rover that's going to be for sale in the coming weeks, if anyone's interested. Size L, SRAM Rival build with the RW30/Torch wheelset. There is definitely mag pricing involved, especially if it's a local pickup in CO.

Name:	RevelRover-1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	418863
    Last edited by smmokan; 06-14-2022 at 10:58 AM.

^^^^^^ I might be interested. Sending a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Tour Divide Facebook post yesterday.

Received this from a racer this morning. Rough conditions!

"A message to all Tour Divide racers from the local Search and Rescue groups:-

There have been a number of rescues for Tour Divide racers in the Elkford - Fernie area in the last 72 hours. 6 in the course of today. Most have involved serious cases of hypothermia.

We would like to draw your attention to the challenges of the route from Fernie to the US border, which are potentially extreme with the current weather.

Fernie to the US border is typically 14-16 hours of riding. There is no food along the way. There is only one public shelter (Butts Cabin, about half way). The weather will be heavy precipitation for the next 24 hours, much of it snow at higher elevations. The risk of hypothermia is extreme and riders who are not sufficiently prepared are encouraged to delay this stage until the weather is more supportive.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Fernie Search and Rescue"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Yikes. They should have ran it south to North this year.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Well, gravel ain't for me after all... I'm a mountain bike kind of guy.

I've got a brand new (two rides on it, not a mark anywhere) mint Revel Rover that's going to be for sale in the coming weeks, if anyone's interested. Size L, SRAM Rival build with the RW30/Torch wheelset. There is definitely mag pricing involved, especially if it's a local pickup in CO.
    I also am interested. Not quite the direction I was thinking but let me know if ISBD doesn't want it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Did the VTMonster today, start and finish at Stratton. Cold and windy! Perfect for grinding out 9,600’ over 79 miles. Almost all dirt with some incredible roads in the GMNF. Ran into biggins as I was loading the bike, he was doing lift service laps at the ski hill, rando.
    I was strong all day, ran SIS beta fuel in my bottles all day and downed 5 SIS gels.

Name:	Image1655589036.025570.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	709.3 KB 
ID:	419243
    Paced it perfectly, steady tempo

Name:	Image1655589586.064557.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	419245

Name:	Image1655589692.754618.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	419246
    One of the only paved sections and it’s closed to traffic!

Name:	Image1655589053.032955.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	419244
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^nice work, buttah. That climb out of the Townshend dam is no joke with 50 miles already under your belt.

Your old neck of the woods! That climb out of the dam is insane, last 20 miles was stacked. The headwind on the final climbs to the ski hill, so cruel, we came at it from the south, the wind was full block from the north.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Nice work Buttah.

Father's day ride was excellent.

Name:	nb1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	419281

Name:	nb2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	419282

Name:	nb3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	419283

Name:	nb4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	419284

Name:	nb5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	419286

I'm back for tire suggestions. I have been running WTBs for the past few years. Most of my time has been on WTB Ventures in a 700x42 but spent about 600mi on a pair of WTB Byways. I prefer the tread design/type of the Ventures but am starting to get leery of buying WTB due to their sidewalls. My Byways started to bulge on one side and my new (less than 300 miles) Ventures just started to do the same - bulging and leaking air through the sidewall.

I ride this bike on pavement, gravel, dirt roads, fire roads and singletrack. I like a little more aggressive tread and am realizing that I need a tire with a good sidewall. What has been working for all of you? Has anybody tried the $35 American Classic tires on Amazon? They are a bit portly at 565g in a 700x40 but if they are durable as a result the peace of mind might be worth the extra weight.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm back for tire suggestions. I have been running WTBs for the past few years. Most of my time has been on WTB Ventures in a 700x42 but spent about 600mi on a pair of WTB Byways. I prefer the tread design/type of the Ventures but am starting to get leery of buying WTB due to their sidewalls. My Byways started to bulge on one side and my new (less than 300 miles) Ventures just started to do the same - bulging and leaking air through the sidewall.

I ride this bike on pavement, gravel, dirt roads, fire roads and singletrack. I like a little more aggressive tread and am realizing that I need a tire with a good sidewall. What has been working for all of you? Has anybody tried the $35 American Classic tires on Amazon? They are a bit portly at 565g in a 700x40 but if they are durable as a result the peace of mind might be worth the extra weight.

Seth
    I've looked at those American Classic's a few times, but have always been hesitant. They seem heavy for their size and measure slightly narrow for their stated width. I feel more comfortable with better established brands. Lately, I have really been getting into rolling resistance, and read a lot of the the reviews at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gravel-reviews . Best to find a good balance of rolling resistance and grip. If Im not certain that a tire has good rolling resistance, I usually am not interested. WTB tires (especially the ventures) are on the slow end of the spectrum.

My rides consist of a 50/50 mix of pavement and dirt, but like to optimize the tire more for the dirt end of the spectrum. Our dirt here in Socal in mostly fire roads, so its just hard pack and some slightly loose gravel.

Over the last year I've ridden the following:

Panaracer GK SK 43: Supple and fast with good dirt grip. All other tires compare to it for a reason, its very well rounded, light and fast.
    WTB Riddler 45 SG2 casing: Slightly better side knob dirt grip than the SK, but a little slower and a little heavier. Still fast enough though. I've been riding these most lately.
    Pirelli Gravel H 45: Damp and fast. Good side knob dirt grip but lacks much of a center tread. On the heavier end of the spectrum for its size, but probably have better support and protection. The M have a very good looking tread but weigh even heavier.
    Tufo Thundero: Haven't ridden these yet, hard to find, but seem like the holy grail. Looks like better dirt tread and better side knobs than the SK, but same weight and slightly faster. Will be getting these in the 44 once available and will call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    ...Lately, I have really been getting into rolling resistance, and read a lot of the the reviews at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gravel-reviews . Best to find a good balance of rolling resistance and grip. If Im not certain that a tire has good rolling resistance, I usually am not interested. WTB tires (especially the ventures) are on the slow end of the spectrum...
    Thank you for this - great thoughts and I appreciate the rolling resistance website. Have you tried to order the Tufo's from Europe? Looks like they are available on the Tufo site.

Thank you for this - great thoughts and I appreciate the rolling resistance website. Have you tried to order the Tufo's from Europe? Looks like they are available on the Tufo site.
    You're welcome! As my ski quiver has gotten relatively "set" over the last couple years, I've transferred my energy into geeking out on bike tires. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I have looked into getting the Tufos direct from their website but shipping is really expensive. Bike Tires Direct carries them, but dont have them in stock yet. Would imagine they will get them in the next few months

Evening rides have been good:

Name:	PXL_20220625_022054181.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	419831

Name:	PXL_20220625_023122017.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	976.4 KB 
ID:	419832

Name:	PXL_20220625_023745544.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	419833

Name:	PXL_20220625_030226304.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	926.4 KB 
ID:	419834

Name:	PXL_20220625_030030514.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	419835

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Seth
    I keep going back to Schwalbe G-One allrounds for the 50/50 use you describe. very fast rolling on the pavement and handle a pretty wide range of conditions on dirt.