Page 55 of 99 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2454
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Attachment 384830

It's easy to forget I live in a suburb when I'm on my gravel bike, stringing together scenic stretches of dirt and road. Loving this thing.

My body is starting to remember how to hang out on a bike for longer stretches. Looking forward to some rides in the foothills and mountains soon. Want to ride Old Fall River Road in RMNP after they close it to cars for the season. I'll probably need to futz with gearing to make that at all enjoyable.
    It's a good ride, but I've only ever done it in the spring. The grade is relatively mellow, but the altitude sure catches up to you. Prepare to be cold at the top. If you descend the road, remember that you have some more climbing after the visitor's center. This has crushed my soul each time I've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post

I would look into one of those racks like evdog has.

Do a few overnight trips to get set up dialed. Or I even just do long loaded day rides, if can't get away overnight.
    What rack does evdog have? I was envisioning a beam style rack like a moots tailgater. But not ti and cheaper. Or do they spin? I have a cheapo one I use for bike path and it will spin off road. But it has a qr.

The salsa carrier thing looks good for bars

The revelate hopper looks like it will fit ok on my bike frame. Then something on top of top tube like a bento box thing.
    Then something underneath the down tube.

Taking shape thanks
    Last edited by jhyatt; 09-09-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Super fun loop, pretty common week-day go to for me and you rarely see people.
    This first picture threw me for a bit because I never ride in this direction.
    How do you loop it? I did it as an out and back from home in Lafayette. It's 20+ miles, but less than six on the road as I can get from my door to Isabelle Rd on neighborhood trails/paths.

I've run there many dozens of times. Its interesting how different it feels on a bike. You focus on different details.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to link up Coal Creek, Marshall Mesa, Bobolink, and Teller farm. Like I said, not bad for the suburbs.

I haven't been this giddy a bout a new sport in a while. In my early twenties I did 100-200 miles a week on a road bike. After getting hit by a guy driving on the wrong side of the road, and surviving a few very intentional murder attempts by drivers I gave it up. I went into full rage mode as soon as I got on my bike, which is the opposite of fun.

Tried taking it up against few years back but my arthritic lower back wasn't psyched about race bike geometry. This summer I spent a few hours on a borrowed Kona Rove and holy shit. My back didn't hurt. And we mostly avoided cars. Both problems solved.

Can't believe it took me this long to figure it out. Seems obvious now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a non QR beam style rack that will bolt on to the fixed part of my dropper post.
    I really want the weight to be sprung (on the frame) and not unsprung weight so on the moving part of the suspension like the seatstays.
    Like a moots tailgater. I'm envisioning strapping a dry bag to it. Not too much weight so it doesn't swing around.
    Exist?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    How do you loop it?
    Typically like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/5846507347
    North out of Boulder on dirt and around the Res to the LOBO. Up the hill via Lobo or cut through Boulder CC. Past the tank, descend to Valmont. Road TT back to the Boulder paths. Sometimes a lap or two of Valmont then paths back to North Boulder.

Essentially all dirt until I get to Valmont Rd for the miles back into town. I can link up more dirt and path if I go further through Teller.
    I've been on my Epic mostly, gravel bikes have been gathering some dust. Still fun on a slightly bigger bike, but a touch slower.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Typically like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/5846507347
    North out of Boulder on dirt and around the Res to the LOBO. Up the hill via Lobo or cut through Boulder CC. Past the tank, descend to Valmont. Road TT back to the Boulder paths. Sometimes a lap or two of Valmont then paths back to North Boulder.

Essentially all dirt until I get to Valmont Rd for the miles back into town. I can link up more dirt and path if I go further through Teller.
    I've been on my Epic mostly, gravel bikes have been gathering some dust. Still fun on a slightly bigger bike, but a touch slower.
    Thanks for that. I'll bet we've crossed paths on that stretch at some point. I've probably run Teller to the tank and back more than anything around here except Green and trails around my house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210910_160448021 (2).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	384988

A little less smokey today.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I'm looking for a non QR beam style rack that will bolt on to the fixed part of my dropper post.
    I really want the weight to be sprung (on the frame) and not unsprung weight so on the moving part of the suspension like the seatstays.
    Like a moots tailgater. I'm envisioning strapping a dry bag to it. Not too much weight so it doesn't swing around.
    Exist?
    How much of your lower post is showing? Would something like these work?

Name:	bbn-central-seat-post-rear-rack-black-7044592-lifestyle-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	385016

Name:	IMG_20140120_153617.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	385018

As for the QR, just replace it with a thru bolt.

Exist?
    Wouldn't the rear tire slam into it every time suspension compresses?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Wouldn't the rear tire slam into it every time suspension compresses?
    If it's straight yes. It would have to clamp at an angle upwards. Like a rear fender.
    Just ordered a revelate hopper
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I find the whole adjustable geo thing to be kind of disingenuous. I don't know anyone that actually switches their wheelsets with any regularity, so flipping the chips around is even less likely. The geo differences in the two positions are pretty small - not enough for most riders to notice as few people are that sensitive to bike setup.

That said, I think it looks like a nice bike. I think it's actually underpriced compared to the market. Specialized is charging $13,500 for a build spec that Allied is pricing closer to $12,500. Weight, engineering, etc aside - it's just flat out more expensive to make a frame in the US than in quantity overseas. I find that a little surprising.
    Got it - good to know. Those are the type of thoughts I was hoping from this thread. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by fool; 09-10-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Exist?
    Don't have any experience with this but saw this is my Facebook feed and thought of this thread. Looks like it can mount either to seat stays or fork lowers. I know this is exactly what you said you didn't want but figured I'd throw it up there anyway in case you haven't seen it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have used one on rear of my Ti bike and works well. Little heavy and needs a little adjustment first couple days, but relatively inexpensive. Wouldn't want to put it on a carbon frame. If I was doing something like CT, would get a lighter and more durable custom rack.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210615_183346804 (1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	385193

Oh and based solely on TRs and vids I've seen, the CT seems like the worst 'bike ride' in the world.

Any thoughts on the REI branded bikepacking bags? I'm not going full-blown bikepacking but would like about 20L of space at a reasonable price for some adventures (and may go full-bikepacking down the road). If not REI - the user reviews are mediocre - any other reasonably priced bags quality bags the collective recommends?

I did search but not much popped up easily. I'm sure it's buried deep in this thread too - any tips are appreciated.

1.5L Top Tube Bag: https://www.rei.com/product/167664/r...n-top-tube-bag
    11L Seat Bag: https://www.rei.com/product/167663/r...link-seat-pack
    6L Handlebar Bag: https://www.rei.com/product/167666/r...-handlebar-bag
    13L Waterproof Handlebar Bag: https://www.rei.com/product/186132/r...handlebar-roll

I have the seat pack. I needed it just for one or two rides this summer so wanted something not too expensive. No real complaints other than it sways a bunch of it gets heavy. That could certainly be user error as I haven’t really used a big seat pack like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Oh and based solely on TRs and vids I've seen, the CT seems like the worst 'bike ride' in the world.
    I've ridden a bunch of it. It's amazing. Like 20-25% hike a bike. But that means 75-80% riding.
    Looking down from the top of a alpine pass at the ribbon of singletrack extending away and having to walk down. That's the worst.
    But I am considering just hiking it because the gear headache becomes totally doable. No custom bags and racks and shit.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Any thoughts on the REI branded bikepacking bags?
    PM Biggins

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    PM Biggins
    Solid. A little sway indeed on the seat bag, but for the $$ it's solid and big.

Good to know - thanks, Biggins and Supermoon. The sway definitely came up on the REI reviews but for the price that seems to make sense. At the same time the Revelate Spinelock 10L seems great...but twice the price at $180...

Couldn't ask for a better day to get some underbiking done in Central Vt.

Name:	20210919_160817.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	385992
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Did a great loop about an hour north of home today--leaves are turnin!
    Beautiful drive there, great riding, and artsy break in the middle. Highly recommended. You could partner it with a day of singletrack on Grateful Treads trails in Montgomery, or some hiking in Hazen's Notch.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37512642

Name:	IMG-6231.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	386019

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Did a great loop about an hour north of home today--leaves are turnin!
    Beautiful drive there, great riding, and artsy break in the middle. Highly recommended. You could partner it with a day of singletrack on Grateful Treads trails in Montgomery, or some hiking in Hazen's Notch.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37512642
    Solid effort. Looks spectacular. Bumping right up against the 1Kft/10mi rule.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Solid effort. Looks spectacular. Bumping right up against the 1Kft/10mi rule.
    1k’ of climbing for every 10 miles has always been my target for dirt road adventure rides too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So the 30 mile gravel ride I did today that had 5000 ft of climbing is against the rules? Shit.Attachment 386086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210920_180310.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	386087
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.