Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2464
    Google is useful but misses a lot. Gravelmap is very promising but super limited right now (I'm adding stuff regularly, and hope it takes off). Strava route creation is also promising but a near total failure at the moment (it doesn't know about road surface type and won't route through visible intersections half of the time).

Caltopo and Locus are the pro tools right now (AFAIK).

Check out multiple map overlays to find different roads. Verify with satellite view. Double verify with Earth so you can check angles.

I created this route on Locus from my RV and rode it yesterday. It was awesome.
    https://strava.app.link/zXMaxJiyIeb
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

That looks awesome. I'll be in St. George in a few weeks and may consider trying to pull this off (or parts as the family will be with me). Talk to me a little bit about your tire choice and how they handled the terrain - especially the sand. if you had to do an out and back, which side would you start on?

Thanks for the info.

Seth

Sometimes there are gravel routes in trailforks but it's pretty limited. I've put a good amount of stuff in there around here though.

When I'm trying to figure something out at home I use caltopo. It's nice to be able to overlay a topo map and imagery and use a slider to hide or show one of them. It's track making works pretty well too and will follow forest service roads on it's own for you.

When I want to look at maps on my phone while I'm out there I have backcountry navigator. As long as I remembered to save where I'm going ahead of time.

A better garmin that has maps would be kind of nice. Following a line on a blank screen when you're not exactly sure where you're going isn't that fun

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    That looks awesome. I'll be in St. George in a few weeks and may consider trying to pull this off (or parts as the family will be with me). Talk to me a little bit about your tire choice and how they handled the terrain - especially the sand. if you had to do an out and back, which side would you start on?

Thanks for the info.

Seth
    I would strongly recommend doing the loop part from Mesquite, but not the power line section (though it was interesting in a suffery kind of way). My GF was working all day but could pick me up, so that's why I started where I did. The loop would be under 60mi. There is no water anywhere out there, FYI.

You could also skip the first big climb by using Gold Butte road to get to Whitney Pocket. It's nicely paved for some of the distance, but broken and shitty where I intersected it. If you can do the route I did, though, go for it. That first climb goes through a really cool canyon.

I used 40mm Nanos, which were fine. You'd be ok with a lower tread too, but I wouldn't go skinny. There is no sand on the loop part. It's mostly a hardish surface--no sinking in but enough to make it feel slow. There is some mega washboard on the downhills, but it's the kind you can skim at 25+mph if you can hold on. I had a 30/34 and would have liked lower gearing on Lime Kiln pass, but I like to really spin.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Wow. I might actually bikepack this year!

Couple buddies and I are thinking of riding the bikes with skis from Bozeman to Beartooth Pass (memorial day weekend?) and back.

Better option than using Gravelmaps.com for routefinding? Trail creek > frontage roads > Gardiner > through the park on main park roads?

Would be one night bivy in the park on the way there and back. Camp at the bottom of the switchies at the pass once we get there.

Tips for route, etc great appreciated.
    Check your state DOT for maps, including designated bike routes and potentially surface type. Here in NH we have an online map with bike routes and a Google Earth layer with dirt roads:
    https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bikeped/maps/index.htm
    Similarly, check Forest Service/BLM etc maps along the route.

If youre just concerned about whether a road goes regardless of paved, gravel, singletrack, etc then Strava heat maps can tell you. The assumption is that you're the person in your area doing the most aggressive bushwhacking. Otherwise you could follow in the footsteps of some crazy MFer.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Google Earth layer with dirt roads:
    I use Google Earth, but what is this layer?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I use Google Earth, but what is this layer?
    On that page I linked to, about 2/3 down the page there's a section titled "Dirt Roads", then a hyperlink "Google Earth file containing unpaved roads" that will download a KMZ file of NH dirt roads. Other states have something similar, but might need a bit more user input. For example for Vermont, you have to filter the data by surface type and then download the selection:
    https://geodata.vermont.gov/datasets...E%20%3C%3D%203

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    On that page I linked to, about 2/3 down the page there's a section titled "Dirt Roads", then a hyperlink "Google Earth file containing unpaved roads" that will download a KMZ file of NH dirt roads. Other states have something similar, but might need a bit more user input. For example for Vermont, you have to filter the data by surface type and then download the selection:
    https://geodata.vermont.gov/datasets...E%20%3C%3D%203
    Thanks. Now I just have to find the one for NYS.

for trip planning we use a combo of
    google earth
    en.mapy.cz (base map for windy app)
    esri worldview in caltopo
    trailforks
    gaia-gps (we use this a lot typically by importing the route from google earth)

Luc has a lot of trip planning info on using caltopo etc. bit more focused on remote, but works for gravel roads as well.
    thingstolucat.com

anyone used https://jefe.bike before? nice price on carbon boost wheels ($550 from their ebay store) if you can deal with i23, which I can. tick all my boxes but seems too good to be true...

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    When I want to look at maps on my phone while I'm out there I have backcountry navigator. As long as I remembered to save where I'm going ahead of time.
    A better garmin that has maps would be kind of nice. Following a line on a blank screen when you're not exactly sure where you're going isn't that fun
    This. If my Wahoo Roam head unit could overlay the uploaded route on a better map (like you get through some of the tools listed here) or even a 'thin' google earth, I'd be dialed. Current capability is great for populated areas. I guess trail forks integration would fix that but only for places with populated routes. My goal is to not have to keep pulling the phone out in addition to having a route loaded on the head unit. #firstworldgravelnerdproblems

In case anyone is shopping for one, Brooks c15, c17, & c19 carved saddles are around $80 on Amazon right now.

Did not read the last 44 pages, so my apologies.

Is there such a thing as ~$1000 gravel bike worth buying? Looking for something that can be ridden on shitty country roads, forest service roads, gravel bike paths, maybe some easy single track and double as a commuter. I have fancy carbon dentist edition mountain bike, but seems like simplicity (AL frame, 1x drivetrain) is what I want in a gravel bike?

Of course, if there is one worth buying, can it be bought is another question... any mags have something used or seen anything new?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Did not read the last 44 pages, so my apologies.

Is there such a thing as ~$1000 gravel bike worth buying? Looking for something that can be ridden on shitty country roads, forest service roads, gravel bike paths, maybe some easy single track and double as a commuter. I have fancy carbon dentist edition mountain bike, but seems like simplicity (AL frame, 1x drivetrain) is what I want in a gravel bike?

Of course, if there is one worth buying, can it be bought is another question... any mags have something used or seen anything new?
    Find a steel hard tail or fully rigid 29er. Used should be easy. I’d go 2x instead of 1x for a dedicated bike of this type. Aluminum will be noticeably harsh on shitty washboard dirt and gravel. If buying used I highly recommend upgrading to something like a Jones H bar. I find them more versatile and comfortable than drops or straight bars on rough roads and trails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The entry Salsa Journeyman and Kona rove are under 1k. You're getting claris 2x8 though, which is, uh, not so great along with pretty basic brake calipers, and non tubeless ready wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    The entry Salsa Journeyman and Kona rove are under 1k. You're getting claris 2x8 though, which is, uh, not so great along with pretty basic brake calipers, and non tubeless ready wheels.
    I’ve got a base level Journeyman that with gorilla tape and valves has been happy running tubeless so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

Is there such a thing as ~$1000 gravel bike worth buying?
    At that price point, I'd personally go used if you can find something in your size. If you can fit an XL, I think this is a fair deal given how pricey used bikes are right now: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3021685/

Cross post from the “2021 make your shorts tight”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8751.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	370223
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8752.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	370222

I like the updated fork rake. What is the chain stay length?

Snaztastic whip Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I like the updated fork rake. What is the chain stay length?
    425mm on on 56 and 59
    420mm on 44, 47, 50, 53

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Snaztastic whip Dee
    Not mine, I'm building it up for a media release/loaner.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    425mm on on 56 and 59
    420mm on 44, 47, 50, 53
    Snappy!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Find a steel hard tail or fully rigid 29er. Used should be easy. I’d go 2x instead of 1x for a dedicated bike of this type. Aluminum will be noticeably harsh on shitty washboard dirt and gravel. If buying used I highly recommend upgrading to something like a Jones H bar. I find them more versatile and comfortable than drops or straight bars on rough roads and trails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    H bar is awesome for gravel/grocery getter. Total game changer.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Good or bad, just got my hands on a lightly used Salsa Journeyman locally. Stoked!