Page 74 of 98 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2432
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Fezzari Shafer - Not “cool” per se but $1700 for a carbon frame is hard to ignore….
    The Fezzari Shafer looks very interesting. For that price I can resell it if I don't like it. (or justify it as a Gravel only build if I rarely ride it)

I was really close to buying a Shafer, but ultimately chose a Carbonda 707, and am really happy with it. Frame was 1200g, so a bit heavier than the fancier options, but for under $800 frame/fork/HS I'm not complaining.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I just reached to Factor about the availability of their Factor LS
    It ticks all the boxes I would like: carbon, light, threaded BB, road like geo, good looking.
    I may be influenced to pay retail price for one of them....

Not going for the super-expensive (but pretty awesome-looking) Factor Ostro Gravel?

FWIW I did spot this deal the other day, which is pretty solid if you can fit a 54/can live with the bb.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Not going for the super-expensive (but pretty awesome-looking) Factor Ostro Gravel?
    No frame only option.....

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    FWIW I did spot this deal the other day, which is pretty solid if you can fit a 54/can live with the bb.
    Cervelo BBright (46x79mm) They have some press fit/thread together options to try to fix this horrible design, but they are just a band-aid to a poor design.
    But that Cervelo is pretty.

I'm with you there. Aspero was mostly off my list for the same reason, but that same shop I linked had a regular (non-5) Aspero frame for $1700 in August. Was too good a price to pass up. So far I've had luck running a bbinfinite bb on there, but we'll see how it holds up.

edit to add: one more to throw on your list is the Basso Palta II. For some reason, the distributor told me it wouldn't work with road 2x drivetrains, even though all the tech info on their site says it can. Before I could dig into that, I found that cheap Aspero. With the current exchange rate, it's a great deal. Although I can't tell what the BB is.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Bakery is always open, bring cash, grab a cookie, I went with oatmeal raisin today, throw two bucks in the box, on my way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1666555130.730687.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	430920
    crab in my shoe mouth

The New Trail Donkey likely isn’t the lightest option and I’m not certain it’ll be the most compliant.

It does have very reasonable standards, looks nice, takes 2x and would be available as a frame only.
    https://www.rodeo-labs.com/shop/framesets/td4/

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    No frame only option.....

Cervelo BBright (46x79mm) They have some press fit/thread together options to try to fix this horrible design, but they are just a band-aid to a poor design.
    But that Cervelo is pretty.

Any guesses on what I should price my used 2020 Trek Checkpoint SL5 for? Likely selling to a buddy, so I def don't need to eke out every dollar. This is the bike. 100% stock components, 105 drivetrain, new rotors, chain, saddle, and cassette. The brakes were just bled. Comes with 42 Pathfinder Pros with a lot of life left. The bike was ridden hard and has some carbon chips, but it's all superficial stuff.

I was thinking $1600 - $1800 would be fair (it was $2800 new), but let me know if I'm way under or over on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The New Trail Donkey likely isn’t the lightest option and I’m not certain it’ll be the most compliant.

It does have very reasonable standards, looks nice, takes 2x and would be available as a frame only.
    https://www.rodeo-labs.com/shop/framesets/td4/
    OHHH SUUURE!!!! Now even betterer looking! WANT!!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Thank God I bought a cheaper used Gravel bike before this launched. I’d been looking at fancy ones and decided to stay cheap for now. Definitely a dream bike and maybe a 2024 purchase for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    OHHH SUUURE!!!! Now even betterer looking! WANT!!!!

I am doing a build at the moment and will upload a few pictures when done. I wanted to put in a quick first touch review on the 650b Rodeo Carbon Rims 2.0. We got them and did an in-store pick up for $400. I had my LBS build out the wheels on some hubs I collected and used brass nipples, nice spokes, and I dropped of some Formula 76 valves. We threw on some Rene Herse rubber and filled em with sealant. They are absurdly light. My LBS owner said that he is really impressed with the rims themselves and wanted to relay how excited he was about them.

Things to note, you need a >50mm valve for these. The Reserve Fillmore 50MM do not fit with enough room to add the nut.

The Formula 76 valves were deemed "better than standard" but not as good as the Reserve Fillmore's. I won't be using these again as they are pretty hard to fill and the shop had an issue getting the valve to seal when they first inflated the tires. I suspect they needed to close the valve more, but they may not have read enough about them.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

This ^ is very nerdy.

Does anyone have insight into why Rooted Vermont was cancelled? I know the “official” reason but there is some cryptic wording in the statement that suggests something deeper.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Does anyone have insight into why Rooted Vermont was cancelled? I know the “official” reason but there is some cryptic wording in the statement that suggests something deeper.
    Interesting. I know the Kings (went to high school with Laura and am good friends with her sister). Hope all is well with them!

Care to share the "official" reason? I assumed it had something to do with the town of Richmond not liking the crowds and/or safety reasons related to the rider who died at the Overland.

I did Rooted in 2019 and had a blast; I was hoping to do the race again.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Care to share the "official" reason? I assumed it had something to do with the town of Richmond not liking the crowds and/or safety reasons related to the rider who died at the Overland.

I did Rooted in 2019 and had a blast; I was hoping to do the race again.
    Here’s an article with the discussion

https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel...ause-for-2023/

I’m mostly interested this this part, “changes taking place in gravel that present risks each race organization must consider and weigh”

High gravel people. Given the super lame early season ski condition here in the northeast I decided to book it to LA for an upcoming weekend in December.
    In the altadena/ Topanga area: good place to rent a decent gravel bike? Some shops just do a better job and locals tend to know.
    Suggestions for a few days loops? I would love to do a multi day "credit card tour" or just stay in altadena and day ride.
    Thanks!
    And now go back to nerding out on valve stem lengths and all that

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    High gravel people. Given the super lame early season ski condition here in the northeast I decided to book it to LA for an upcoming weekend in December.
    In the altadena/ Topanga area: good place to rent a decent gravel bike? Some shops just do a better job and locals tend to know.
    Suggestions for a few days loops? I would love to do a multi day "credit card tour" or just stay in altadena and day ride.
    Thanks!
    And now go back to nerding out on valve stem lengths and all that

PM me and I'll set you up with a loaner / demo if we've got something in your size.

Altadena and Topanga are opposite sides of the city - but great riding either way. Glad to show you around or send you some routes. Bigger gravel rides out east in Altadena / San Gabriel mountains than out west in the Santa Monica mountains. But better views on the west side.

Dirt Mulholland is super fun, not crazy tech though. On the westside, the Sullivan Ridge area and most of Topanga State Park are fun. There is also the original gravel / mtb ride - Reseda to The Sea, which cuts through Topanga State Park. Out east you have the Verdugos, Mt. Lukens, Mt. Lowe, Wilson Toll Road, etc. Can't go wrong.

Here’s an article with the discussion

https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel...ause-for-2023/

I’m mostly interested this this part, “changes taking place in gravel that present risks each race organization must consider and weigh”
    Thanks for the link. I thought you might’ve had some inside info. Certainly cryptic and begs some questions.

I know one of the guys who organizes the Cabot Ride the Ridges ride and he mentioned how hard insurance was to get for the event this past year. Might have something to do with the King’s decision.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    PM me and I'll set you up with a loaner / demo if we've got something in your size.

Altadena and Topanga are opposite sides of the city - but great riding either way. Glad to show you around or send you some routes. Bigger gravel rides out east in Altadena / San Gabriel mountains than out west in the Santa Monica mountains. But better views on the west side.

Dirt Mulholland is super fun, not crazy tech though. On the westside, the Sullivan Ridge area and most of Topanga State Park are fun. There is also the original gravel / mtb ride - Reseda to The Sea, which cuts through Topanga State Park. Out east you have the Verdugos, Mt. Lukens, Mt. Lowe, Wilson Toll Road, etc. Can't go wrong.
    Thanks! I sent you a PM.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    I am doing a build at the moment and will upload a few pictures when done. I wanted to put in a quick first touch review on the 650b Rodeo Carbon Rims 2.0. We got them and did an in-store pick up for $400. I had my LBS build out the wheels on some hubs I collected and used brass nipples, nice spokes, and I dropped of some Formula 76 valves. We threw on some Rene Herse rubber and filled em with sealant. They are absurdly light. My LBS owner said that he is really impressed with the rims themselves and wanted to relay how excited he was about them.

Things to note, you need a >50mm valve for these. The Reserve Fillmore 50MM do not fit with enough room to add the nut.

The Formula 76 valves were deemed "better than standard" but not as good as the Reserve Fillmore's. I won't be using these again as they are pretty hard to fill and the shop had an issue getting the valve to seal when they first inflated the tires. I suspect they needed to close the valve more, but they may not have read enough about them.
    +1 I've been really impressed with the rodeo wheels. I have the 700s and they have been bomber for me. Haven't touched them in over 6k miles

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    +1 I've been really impressed with the rodeo wheels. I have the 700s and they have been bomber for me. Haven't touched them in over 6k miles
    That is great to hear! What tires do you have on them? I have been thinking about lacing a set of their 700c on some Chris King hubs I was endowed with here from @EMR back in 2017. I feel like the hubs and hoops would make a nice duo for more of the front range rides I can take near Denver.

For Tom's sake, I am still riding that Ibis HDR but it is getting rebuilt in a gravel compatible hub spacing and as 650b with AXS to clean up the externally routed cable lines. Now my gravel wheels will also work on the bike for some of my cross country road trips.

If I do build these, I might be dumping some Tubular HED wheels I had laced up back in 2018 but not sure if I would keep them for a commuter set or commute on the Rodeos. I have been reading a lot about running tubeless sealant in my tubular tires for commuting. Anyone have experience with this? It seems like it may let tubulars run longer on a commute type ride but there are some drawbacks. Anyone have experience with tubular and sealant?

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    That is great to hear! What tires do you have on them? I have been thinking about lacing a set of their 700c on some Chris King hubs I was endowed with here from @EMR back in 2017. I feel like the hubs and hoops would make a nice duo for more of the front range rides I can take near Denver.
    I currently run Schwalbe G-Ones. My set have the stock Rodeo hubs, also bomber in my experience. Guessing your set of CK hubs would go fabulously with the rims. FYI I think Magnetic Wheel Co in Denver builds all of Rodeo's wheels.