Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Mrs P has the WTB Venture and I may consider them when the Byways wear out.
    My next tires will be ventures. Rode them on the super 8 and they are awesome. Roll fast, grip well and come in a 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

I have about 1500 miles on a set of 700c Venture 50s, probably 75% pavement. They are pretty quick on smooth pavement, but you will struggle to keep up with actual road tires. Cornering knobs are not too stiff to make cornering on pavement scary (although, when I first put them on, I ran them at about 15 psi, which does result in pretty scary understeer on pavement).

They are pretty great on gravel and smooth trails. Sometimes I have wished for real knobby tires (usually because of lack of braking traction on damp dirt). My typical non-commute use case is a 40 mile ride on shitty pavement, or gravel/trail rides up to 40 miles, or some combination thereof.

Biggest bummer with these is not being able to find fenders that fit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201031_135719037_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	345839
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I have about 1500 miles on a set of 700c Venture 50s, probably 75% pavement. They are pretty quick on smooth pavement, but you will struggle to keep up with actual road tires. Cornering knobs are not too stiff to make cornering on pavement scary (although, when I first put them on, I ran them at about 15 psi, which does result in pretty scary understeer on pavement).

They are pretty great on gravel and smooth trails. Sometimes I have wished for real knobby tires (usually because of lack of braking traction on damp dirt). My typical non-commute use case is a 40 mile ride on shitty pavement, or gravel/trail rides up to 40 miles, or some combination thereof.

Name:	IMG_20201031_135719037_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	345839
    Is that John Wayne trail?

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Is that John Wayne trail?
    Stampede Pass to Tacoma Pass loop, exit 62.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34542300

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Check these out, they might work for you: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...m-fenders-700c

I have the 650b zeppelins and they're great fenders. Extreme coverage--I put a normal mudflap on the front and had to cut it down because it was dragging on curbs

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

I run these on my 47s.

https://www.rei.com/product/143417/p...mi-rear-fender

Not quite as good as full coverage, but kept me more or less dry all winter commuting every day.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Check these out, they might work for you: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...m-fenders-700c

I have the 650b zeppelins and they're great fenders. Extreme coverage--I put a normal mudflap on the front and had to cut it down because it was dragging on curbs
    +1 to the VO fenders. Ive had a set of them on my commuter for several years, they have been bomber.

Those VO fenders look good, thanks!
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Bought some bling for my gravel bike the other day. Buddy hooked me up on a prodeal for some CB7s. Stupid light. Changes the ride quality by making the bike feel move tossable and less like a plow.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.25.45 AM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	346008

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.25.02 AM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	848.2 KB 
ID:	346009

Ted King sets a FKT at the AK High Country 1000 mile race - http://trackleaders.com/arkhigh20f.php

Animal

Let's talk leg warmers... I've tried Pearl Izumi, Endura, and Gore. I've been impressed by the Gore wind stoppers for the last several years (commuting, xc, cx etc) but am looking for something with a bit more wet weather resistance. I know nothing will survive full on downpours. Eyeing the Endura Pro SL II as a potential option, even though the previous model I had was lackluster on durability and fit. I've heard great things about GripGrab (Danish brand) from our own Tyrone Shoelaces but no dealers in the US. Euro cycling brands tend to get this shit right... any suggestions? thanks

A quick 20+ miler in shorts and a short sleeve to catch the sunset.

Name:	Image1605050900.115568.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	347195

skid luxury

yer makin me wanna move to vt!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Mrs P & I

Name:	Image1605053628.653006.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	347204

^ I think you guys nailed this yrs Christmas card pic

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

Here in VT, we run into a town every 5-10 miles so it’s easy to plan lunch and dinner while on a trip. However I have to have coffee & breakfast as soon as I wake up. I was drinking Via instant with my oatmeal, which is okay and got the job done.

It was time for an upgrade so I thought I would share that I found this Stanley French press. Heavier than a Ti press but a fraction of the price and I like the functionality more. I haven’t field tested but at home a full pot will heat water for oats and 2 big cups of joe. I put some coozies on #5 cups I had and it all nests together with a alcohol stove inside too, since the press is a cylinder.

Name:	Image1605286486.274315.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	347725

Tire question. Currently have a set of specialized trigger pros in a 38c on my gravel bike. They seem fine as I ride a mix of pavement (55%), gravel(35%) and singletrack (10%). I put a staple through the rear and may need to replace. I like have a center strip with a little less grip for good rolling resistance on the road. Any thoughts on this tire on comparison to others out there?

I'm eyeing the sawtooth but guessing I'll take a rolling resistance hit.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Tire question. Currently have a set of specialized trigger pros in a 38c on my gravel bike. They seem fine as I ride a mix of pavement (55%), gravel(35%) and singletrack (10%). I put a staple through the rear and may need to replace. I like have a center strip with a little less grip for good rolling resistance on the road. Any thoughts on this tire on comparison to others out there?

WTB Byway is a true semi-slick. I ride them everywhere and as long as it’s dry, they handle it all. As was discussed a few pages back the WTB Venture should be considered if you want more grip in wet but still have decent rolling resistance.

WTB Byway is a true semi-slick. I ride them everywhere and as long as it’s dry, they handle it all. As was discussed a few pages back the WTB Venture should be considered if you want more grip in wet but still have decent rolling resistance.
    WTB Venture and Spec sawtooth are comparable for grip on finer dirt/sand and wet traction. Both roll very well on smooth dirt, hard pack and pavement, and I would give the nod to the venture for dirt cornering traction as it actually has nice side lugs. Both tires have a nice damp casing though the WTB is better.

I’ve never been interested in the true semi-slick as it’ll still feel like a pig compared to a road tire but not do the dirt riding as well. I did have a byway once that I triple flatted on the first ride so that was a one and done bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    I did have a byway once that I triple flatted on the first ride so that was a one and done bad choice.
    I run tubeless. What is this “flat” you speak of?

I run tubeless. What is this “flat” you speak of?
    I run tubeless too. Pinch flatted the tubeless tire, thin casing and only a 34c width. Very possible on rockier fire roads.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post

I really like the Pathfinder Pro for mixed rides like this. I’d go for that over the sawtooth personally. Or the Gravel King SS if you want to get looser off road.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 11-21-2020 at 04:29 PM.

My Gravelking SKs are living up to their great reputation. I ride a mix of road, gravel and single track at between 35 and 40 psi tubeless. 700x37

I've been rocking schwalbe g-one allrounds for the last ~1500mi of pretty similar riding. realistically probably a bit less singletrack though. I've been impressed with how well they roll on pavement. The rear was getting pretty worn, so switched them out for a pair of Clement MXP 40s that came stock on the wifes bike, those feel quite a bit better in the loser/rougher gravel, but roll noticeably slower on the pavement.